AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is my current set up, is this getting me the best possible video/sound and if so, say I need to add a Wii or some other console how do I fit it into the loop.


HD Cable box - 1 Optical cable going to the receiver, 1 DVI to HDMI going to the TV.

DVD Upconvert DVD Player - 1 Optical cable going to the reciever, 1 HDMI cable going to the TV.


So as far as I can tell everything should be a digital signal at this point. Now say I want to move my Wii with component cables from 1 room to the room this setup is in. Would I just connect all the cables to the receiver, then have to run seperate component cables to the TV for a different video source? What if I ended up with a PS3, that only has an HDMI and not an optical out, so how do I get the digital sound signal to my receiver at this point?


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie411 /forum/post/0


Ok here is my current set up, is this getting me the best possible video/sound.

Some would say that they prefer digital coax to toslink, but I don't recall the technical justifications (bandwidth maybe?) and I doubt it would be a noticable improvement, if any. If your receiver can decode audio from HDMI before passing the HDMI on the display, that might be better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie411 /forum/post/0


Now say I want to move my Wii with component cables from 1 room to the room this setup is in. Would I just connect all the cables to the receiver, then have to run seperate component cables to the TV for a different video source? What if I ended up with a PS3, that only has an HDMI and not an optical out, so how do I get the digital sound signal to my receiver at this point?

Since you're already running video cables directly from source to display, keep on doing that. Run the component video cables directly to the TV, and not the receiver. If you go to the receiver, you would still need component cables from the receiver to the TV (which is not good if your receiver doesn't have the video bandwidth). Though if your receiver will digitize component to HDMI, that's an option which would let your receiver operate as an HDMI switcher.


I'm sure the PS3 has toslink. So set it up just like your other 2 units. I mean if your TV has enough HDMI inputs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,054 Posts
Coaxial digital and optical both carry the same bandwidth ,it's all x's and 0's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsens /forum/post/0


Some would say that they prefer digital coax to toslink, but I don't recall the technical justifications (bandwidth maybe?) and I doubt it would be a noticable improvement, if any. If your receiver can decode audio from HDMI before passing the HDMI on the display, that might be better.

It all digital, the only difference is that a digital coax cable is a lot less likely to fall out when compared to toslaink and HDMI. That's they real reason why you still use a digital coax cable. There will be NO difference in quality of sound between toslink/digital coax and HDMI as previously mentioned it's all 1's and 0's.


The difference between HDMI/DVI and component video quality is anywhere from 2-5% at best. It really depends on the sum of the equipment that you have. The nice feature about routing video and audio through a receiver is the receiver's switching capability. The receivers are capable of up converting component to HDMI if equipped with HDMI ports.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
Oh I'm not saying that I prefer coax, or that I remember the technical reasons which justified other people's decisions to favor coax. I just recall that years ago, when the whole coax vs. toslink issue was the argument du jour, and almost daily the source of a newbie's thread, that most people seemed to prefer coax. At least to my memory.


The whole ground loop avoidance argument always appealed to me. Even though I never suffered from one. And although I don't know if 75 ohm is critical with digital coax, it sort of seems like it should be since those cables are supposedly interchangeable with composite video cables, which do prefer 75 ohm. Anyway, since except maybe for some of the bullet plugs, most of the RCA connections used for digital coax can't quite be 75 ohm, the optical appealed to me there as well.


Not that preference matters since the component manufacturer makes the choice for me. Recently it seems like most of the real estate I see is toslink only, like the PS3 which the subject of this thread.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top