AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm in the market in the near future for a good pj and I have this scenario playing itself out--

I've already prewired my projector location in the ceiling for component and composite cabling. The projectors I'm interested in are the 56u from Panasonic or the X1 or the tw100 from Epson. I know from most everyone that composite input will yield only a so-so image at best. I've also heard that component or S-video will be much better. Now these projectors all have a VGA input, but I haven't stumbled across a thread which deals with this input on quality and stability versus S-video, composite, or straight component. Also, if I do end up buying the infocus VGA-component adapter, would it work on the other models listed? I didn't have enough time to prewire S-video and DVI cabling can get pretty pricey. I estimate 30-40 ft run lenght from equipment stand to projector.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Hi,

I have the LC76u, let me first make a comment on the 56. It is SVGA (like the X1) and does not have micro-lens-array like the 76 does. What this means is if your screen is 6 feet wide and you stand 10 feet away you would see small black lines between the pixels (like a screendoor). The 76 can be had for about $1700, so if you are interested in a 4:3 Panasonic, I would really look at it (it is great with DVD by the way).

Now to address your question:

The best quality is with DVI - which none of your mentioned projectors have

Next best is VGA, which you would want to use with these if you drive them with a computer. I have a computer hooked up to 1 of my VGA ports.

Next is component. All of these projectors will take a component input through their VGA port. This works very well - I have a DVD player hooked up this way to one VGA in on mine. Progressive Scan component is better than interlaced. You buy a component to VGA adapter cable for $30-$50 (lots of threads about places to buy). I got one from PCCables.

Fourth on the list is S-Vid, it is interlaced only. I have used it, it is OK, but you can do much better.

At the bottom is composite.

Happy projector hunting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.