Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I am a proud owner of a brand new Samsung DLP 50" TV and now I have to figure out how to connect it to my DVD, A/V Receiver and Satellite Receiver. The latter three are about 4-5 year old technology and they lack component video connectivity or better. They are equipped with the following:

Panasonic DVD Player:

S-Video Out

Composite Video Out

Optical Digital Audio Out

JVC A/V Receiver:

Front A/V Connections 1 x Headphones, 1 x Composite, 1 x Couple RCA Jacks, 1 x S-Video

Rear Audio Inputs Coaxial: 1, Optical: 2

Rear Vid. Outputs Composite: 1, S-Video: 2

Rear Video Inputs S-Video: 4

Satellite Receiver:

RF or VHF Connections

Phono (RCA) Audio/Video Connections

S-Video Output

Dolby Digital Optical Audio Output

Samsung 50" DLP TV:

Audio Terminals:

Analog L/R Inputs: 3 (1 Front, 2 Rear)

Analog L/R Outputs: 1 Set (Rear)

Video Terminals:

Composite Video In: 3 (1 Front, 2 Rear)

S-Video In: 3 (1 Front, 2 Rear)

Component Video In: 1 Set (Y, Pb, Pr)

HDTV/DTV Component Video Input: 2 (Y, Pb, Pr) 1080i, 720p, 480p

RF Out: 1 Rear

PC Input: 1 Rear (D-Sub 15 pin) XGA

DVI Input: 1 Rear

Can someone knowledgeable on wiring these components together help me out with the best way to achieve picture and sound quality with these components? I would appreciate the help.

Look forward to your comments.

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
You may want to check out the Samsung HLN guide (see my signature).

·
Registered
344 Posts
DVD and Sat to Receiver: S-Video and Optical digital

Receiver to TV: S-Video

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would do compoiste for the DVD (see Arun's guide - he ranks the various connections in order). If you can afford it buy a DVD player with DVI out (Samsung HD930 or Bravo D1) - or wait a few months for the next models. Do the optical connection for sound.

For the sat revceiver - do S-video and optical for sound.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arungupta
ARUN,

To your knowlege, are their any A/V receivers on the market or coming to the market with multiple DVI port inputs? It seems that this would be a better investment than putting money in to an expense switch.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
There is a $4000 one, but otherwise no. I don't see it this year.

·
Registered
344 Posts
EAD has a digital preamp for $12,000 and Sony has a receiver for, as Arun said, $4,000.

That is all I have seen. Makes the switch look like a bargain.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Quote:
There is a $4000 one, but otherwise no. I don't see it this year.

$4,000???? GULP...CHOKE. Why so costly? Wish Samsung would come up with an economical option for one DVI input.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:

I have a cordless headset that I am going to hook up to the rca monitor out's, but how the heck do I turn off the TV's speakers when using the headset? If I mute the set the red "MUTE" stays on the screen! My old tv had a "speaker on/off" function, but I can't find anything on the Sammsund DLP that will turn off the speakers!

Second question is that I have an Emerson EWD2202 dvd/vcr combo deck. I can't seem to get the Samsung remote to operate this deck. I've tried all the Emerson codes in the Samsung manual, then 000 thru 0089. Am I destined to have to use the Emerson remote? Or are there any other codes that might work?

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can lend.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
344 Posts
That is Sony's top of the line receiver with their finest digital processing and all new digital amplifiers. It is in line with hiogh end receivers from other vendors, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo Integra, Sunfire, etc. etc.

Why they don't offer it in any other receiver is a mystery. No demand I guess. The receivers always are the last to adopt new connection technology, S-Video, component, etc.

Next year there should be a ton. I would personally like one just omits somposite, and component. Or even one that only include DVI - would really drop the complexity and price. Unfortunately, the only receivers with DVI will also have 8 composite, 8 S-Video 4 component and 2-3 DVI inputs requiring video switches for 4 different formats. All that is expensive and will therefore only be seen on top line receivers.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Moose0408
I have a cordless headset that I am going to hook up to the rca monitor out's, but how the heck do I turn off the TV's speakers when using the headset? If I mute the set the red "MUTE" stays on the screen! My old tv had a "speaker on/off" function, but I can't find anything on the Sammsund DLP that will turn off the speakers!

Thanks,

David
I've seen this question before and don't get it. Why can't you just turn the volume down to zero? The output jacks on the rear are unaffected by the volume control.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flex727
I've seen this question before and don't get it. Why can't you just turn the volume down to zero? The output jacks on the rear are unaffected by the volume control.
Thanks! Hey ... I said up front, I am a novice! Now that I know that the output jacks are unaffected by the volume, you have answered my question! Thanks again

David

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just set mine up yesterday...turned it one and the family just sat there with our mouths open for 3 hours. :)

I have a samsung hd receiver ts160 and denon avr 3803. I went dvi sat rec to tv and tried component to denon for vcr and replay companionship (doesn't work, have to choose dvi OR component out of sat receive). So just sent s-vid to replay and s-vid replay to denon. Denon upgrades the signal to component so that goes to tv. Not sure what the denon is putting out (480i,480p,720p?) which is important because if its 480i it has to go into the first component in on the tv.

Got 2 problems if one of you can help or guide me to the right thread if needbe.

1) The replay (hs2000 with upgraded 120 gig hd) controlled my old sony b2 sat with a serial port. The sammy doesn't have one and the ir blaster doesnt list samsung as an option and all the codes don't work. How can I control the the samsung hd sat with the replay?

2) the picture is somewhat green. (i know this a fairly common complaint) When watching fox (simpsons) they were all intensely yellowish green but the commercials during the same show were near normal? Anyway I called samsung and they said try changing the tint (which can only be adjusted when in s-vid or below and not in dvi or component) and if failed they would come out and adjust it. Anyone with experience with their adjustments or other suggestions?

Jack

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Moose0408
Thanks! Hey ... I said up front, I am a novice! Now that I know that the output jacks are unaffected by the volume, you have answered my question! Thanks again

David
Sorry, didn't mean to sound snarky - I've just seen this question so many times in these forums and was truly perplexed. I realize now that I had an old Sony Trinitron that had the rear jacks controlled by the TV volume. I hated that and considered them useless because of it. If I wanted to listen to the sound from my stereo I had to go several levels into the TV menu to turn off the speakers first. A real pain! It's much better to have independent control. Speaking of which, how DO you plan to control the volume on your headphones?

·
Registered
35 Posts
You didn't sound "snarky" I really appreciated your response! I have Advent wireless headphones, they work great and have a seperate volume control on the headphone itself! I''ve hooked them all up and they work GREAT! Now I don't have to listen to my wife complain about the volume!!

I think I am about to give up on any hopes of the Samsung remote being able to control the Emerson DVD/VCR deck! Too bad, I was really hopeful to end the remote clutter without having to spend big bucks on a universal remote. I'll probably just live with using two.

Thanks again!

David

PS I also downloaded the Samsung HLN Guide I found on this forum, and after making the "picture" adjustments as recomended, the color's are much better!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:
If you can afford it buy a DVD player with DVI out (Samsung HD930 or Bravo D1) - or wait a few months for the next models. Do the optical connection for sound.

I think you mean the Samsung 931 not 930. Amazon.com has it for $230 free shipping. I just got mine and love it. I've heard some DVD players auto sense what format the movie is in and adjust accordingly. Wish the 931 did this. But, using DVI is great on a DLP TV.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.