AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my main computer I have a AMD Barton 2.800+ cpu but it doesn't seem enough to play 1080i WM9 clips smooth. While playing these clips the CPU usages is between 90-100%.

I heard someone saying that their 2.8GHz P4 had about 35-40 % CPU usage while playing these clips.

What is your experience with this (how much cpu power does 1080i take from you and witch CPU do you have?)

Are AMD's rely this much worse on software decoding?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I cannot specifically answer your question, but if you have not read the "Coral Reef Adventure" thread, you should. There is lots of talk in there about smooth playback of 1080i media on various CPU's. Also, many people noted that they were able to get smooth playback using zoomplayer instead of WMP9.

If you have not read this thread, I think it will help (hopefully)
Coral Reef Adventure Thread

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I run a 2.53 Ghz P4 with a FX5600U with no problems playing back 720P clips back via WM9, uses about 70% CPU with no dropped frames.

Jim

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
There are no 1080i clips, they are 720p & 1080p. Try the 720p clips scaled to 1080i. I can play the 720p clips no prob on my P4 2GHz.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
My HTPC has a P41.6GHz oc'ed to 2.1GHz. Coral Reef in 720p plays fine with around 80% CPU. 1080p results in unwatchable stutter. Nice coincidence that Intel has announced price cuts for their CPU next week :D

_____

Axel

·
Registered
144 Posts
I can run the 1080p clip very smoothly using WMP9 with CPU utilization between 52 and 56 percent. I have an Athlon64 3200+ (OC'd to 215 FSB) and a Radeon9700 Pro. This is not my HTPC, just my everyday machine. My HTPC is a P3 800 so I'm not even going to try it there.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Did you try setting your PCI latency to 128 in BIOS yet?

I have no probs with T2 WM9-HD with a Athlon XP 2.2ghz (400mhz FSB).

Edit:

Acidelito,

What video card, mobo and ram are you running?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Which leads me to believe that the video card is a big part of the equation since I am running an XP3200+ (o/c'd 2500+) on a 400mhz FSB and stuttering at 1080 on the Coral Reef demo. This is with a GF3 Ti200 (with Fast Writes forced on through Rivatuner...which really didn't seem to help much and seems to cause artifacting).

·
Registered
261 Posts
Quote:
Which leads me to believe that the video card is a big part of the equation since I am running an XP3200+ (o/c'd 2500+) on a 400mhz FSB and stuttering at 1080 on the Coral Reef demo.
Yeah, I'm running a GeForceFX 5600 Ultra @ 450/800. Maybe there's something to the theory for needing DX9 support.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i have a p4 3.0ghz overclocked to 3.5. my max cpu usage while playing the The_Magic_of_Flight_1080.wmv file was 36.4%

you can see my overclock and memory settings here

JBlaze

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bcollins
I have an Athlon64 3200+ (OC'd to 215 FSB) and a Radeon9700 Pro.
bcollins, I am thinking of building a couple of Athlon64 3200+ PC's to add to the rendering farm I use for my CGI hobby. I've been doing some research on motherboards and memory, and I haven't been able to find any 1 GB DIMMs that are recommended for any of the Socket 754 motherboards I've been reading about. All of the reviews I've read configure their systems with a puny pair of 256 or 512 MB DIMMS... I need at least 2 GB of RAM for my CGI work.

Would you please tell me what motherboard and memory you are using on your workstation? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Beaware that running 1080 demos is not the same as running locked down versions such as the Corel Reef DVD. Microsoft says it takes 15%+ overhead for decryption.

Given this situation, we need to be very clear about the source material.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Based on the response here, it really seems to come down to, "What are the system requirements to play WM9 hi def files?". Rather than the "go-no go" test included in the Coral Reef dvd, a true diagnostic test which measures the critical aspects of system performance that effect WM9 playback, such as AGP throughput, would be more helpful towards making decisions about upgrades and tweaking.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i tested again using my t2-extreme edition disk. playing from the dvd and from the hard drive give me just about the same numbers. ~30% average

and ~37% at max.

JB

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.