Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is coming up on the "Best Of" time of year, so why not best tweaks

Since our beloved CRT manufactures are not changing much anymore, we have to keep pumping our existing machines up.

So Lets list our best tweaks of 2002.

My projector got raised this year, so I guess turning on the power and a pro set up made the most difference.

However, have made one huge tweak since the setup.

Kenny's Filters heads up my list

My Extron is on its way, so we will see if that turns it up another notch

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
a curved screen the best and brightest tweak of all

XANATOS

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Well, I wouldn't used a curved screen with a gun to my head, but I will say that the single greatest CRT tweak I witnessed was moving a G-90 closer than the PJ calc per William Phelps' calculation. Amazing and virually free.

While moving their screen would benefit everyone, in this case the real PQ was achieved because of William's deft hand and eye. He turned excellent into spectacular. Too bad he doesn't come in a box...just add water.

Ted

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
You know I'd suggest using the terms "sony, pj calc, and William" and see what reply you get but I haven't been successful searching anything since we changed the search engine. I'm not fond of the search mechanism at all.

So I wish I could help but I tried the search myself using the above phrases all at once and I was told I didn't have the three word minimum???? Go figure

Ted

·
Registered
412 Posts
Since you mentioned the filters, which I have but of course have not installed yet (gotta figure out how to make more time in a day.)

I would have to say next would be Guy's Holy Focus, it is free and what a world of difference.

The next item on my list will be a Mike modded Radeon card, might just have to buy one for christmas.

Robert van der Veer

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
My tops is Mike's card mod. While not as cheap as Kenny's filters, it is the biggest difference I made. Second would be getting rid of the Extron after Getting Mike's mod :)

Seriously, second would be Kenny's filters and almost exactly the same would be going to a smaller screen to get more punch from the image.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Actually I was going to add Mike's mod to the list, but it's not just for CRT...

The William screen move in combination with the MP-1 mod was what I witnessed with the G-90 in Toronto. The differences were just amazing. I was prepared for a bit better, but it was a lot better.

Ted

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
IMHO, the BEST CRT tweak this year was switching from DLP to CRT.

Seriously, though, I'd go with the Capacitor modifications to lower the noise floor in the PJ.

Marc

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I dropped from a 52x92 to 45x80. This is with an 8" Marquee...non LC'ed. I really didn't think it would make "that much" difference. I was wrong! Huge difference!

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Jay,

what gain is your screen, and do you think the improvement was just due to the 33% greater image brightness, or the smaller size allowed for a sharper picture? You're not the first person I've heard singing the praises of smaller (

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I think it is all of the above. The image was pretty darn sharp already. but the punch...the brightness/jump out of the screen is much improved. The picture was awesome before, and 52x92 is the most common size I use at work when I do a system for a client. But the other day we were demoing a DLP and had the ability to zoom in/out on the screen and teh difference seeing it like this was phenomenol. I guess I've never tried that quick of an A/B comparison. Normally I'm relying on memory for one of the images.

Plus I saw the Chris Stephens modded pj at CEDIA on a smaller screen and was blown away. That was enough to warrant a look a smaller screen. I figured what the heck...I'll just sit a bit closer.

The screen is I guess about a 1.3-1.5. It was originally a Da-Lite Matte White, 1.0 gain that I painted with Behr Ultra White w/a bit of pearlescent material mixed in. I did this back when I had a 7" pj to give it that extra boost. I almost wish I didn't have it painted now as the screen does hto spot a tad with the bigger CRTs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My tweak of the year is that I stopped squeezing the picture to compensate for the anamorphic squeeze. I'm also getting the convergence perfect after getting a tip on doing the convergencesetup three times in a row, and its much easier without a squeezed picture. If I could just get my greyscale perfect, "this would be a most glorious year".

Frode

(Who does not have a colorimeter, but just got Ford Fairlane on DVD)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Has anyone personally used William Phelps tweak of moving an XG110lc closer then the setup manual states with improved results or are the NEC's specs already there?

·
Registered
745 Posts
My best crt tweak was selling my lcd. :)

No seriously I think it was moving the projector closer to the screen and spending all night focusing.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Turtle

Not effective on the 800 but great on the 808/1208

800 is already corrected as you can see the crts are already colored.

Steve

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.