AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm looking for recommendations for the best desktop DAC + Amp to use for headphones. I just bought a pair of Sendy Aivas that I'm looking to pmsend more power to. I've watched reviews on the $500 Monolith 124459 THX AAA as well as the $600 Topping DX7 pro. I'm willing to spend some $$, but I really don't want to go with something that requires more than one box. I'd like Bluetooth, but more as a tie breaker than a requirement.

Are there other options besides the above-mentioned that you would recommend? Have you tried either of the above with similar headphones?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no best, there is only best for you.

I've got RME ADI-2 DAC. Besides being one of the best DAC + headphone amp it has a lot of additional functionality built-in. For example, it has 5-band EQ which allowed me to compensate flaws of my new Senn HD6XX. It's not cheap, ~$1000-1200 depends where you get it from. But to me it was worth it.
Some info about it was posted here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/3000158-rme-adi-2dac-can-compete-w-big-boys.html

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hoary. I'm new to this stuff so I really appreciate the advice. Do you find the RME to output enough power to drive your headphones at pretty high volumes? I'm returning a much lower price Topping A50 because I just could not get the volume I want - in fact it was barely a noticeable improvement over plugging my new Sendys directly into my iPhone 11. I really don't know what max output I should be looking for...

·
Registered
125 Posts
HD6xx are pretty sensitive (~107dB?) so they are easy to drive even so nominal impedance is at 300 Ohm. ADI-2 DAC has more than enough power to drive them. I'm using low settings and typically at -30...-20 dB. Just tried to raise to -5 dB and it's way too loud for me.

With planars, check around, maybe ask on audiosciencereview (ASR) forum as it seems more people with ADI-2 DAC hanging around there. There is an RME guy visit that forum periodically.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. As luck would have it I found a local guy who was selling an ADI-2DAC for $800. Picking it up this evening. Hopefully it's as good as the reviews say!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
check out mass drop for some options

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am pretty happy with my Jolida FX + Liquid Crimson setup or were you looking for an all-in-one setup?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts