AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tryed to get some recommendations on DILA projectors in another thread of mine ("Which D-ILA does 16x9) but I got no indications!:(

This is kind of a last try:p Can someone indicate me some good DILA projectors for HT applications. So far I found the Dukane and the JVC. What are the others? What are you using? I'm thinking on spending around 15k.

Hope I get some recommendation this time!

Thanks

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
The Dukane and JVC are really the only D-ila projectors available at this time. Hitachi is coming out with a LCOS version, which is a similar technology, but not as good from what I've seen. The G15 from JVC and 9015 from Dukane are basically the same projector with different warranties. You do pay a premium for the Dukane 5 year warranty, and performance isn't any different. The JVC can be had for less than $10k. I also highly recommend getting the unit calibrated. This will greatly improve overall performace.

Thanks!

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Dukane 9015 and the JVC G15 are essentially the same projector. Both are native 4x3 but do 16X9. I have a Dukane with a Panamorph. With your budget, you could get a 9015 or G15 and a Panamorph or ISCO II. IMHO that gives the best picture available (non CRT).

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
As of this moment their are no others. The Dukane models are repackaged JVC Dilas with a new case and a better warranty.

All are 4x3 native, although they can all play 16x9 either through the projector itself or using a anamorphic lens.

Off the top of my head, their are three other manufacturers that will be coming out with Dila machines. One is Hitachi, the other is

Christie and a third possible is from Taw, the makers of the Rock

Some people on this forum have seen the Hitachi when they went to trade shows. Their reviews haven't been that great. No one has seen the Christie's version, but I think it wont be using the Xenon bulb the current machine has. The bulbs they are using will have a longer life and be cheaper then the current bulb. However, as the xenon bulb is a good part of why the current Dila works so well, no one knows how Christie version will compare. The Taw version is a super secret projector that supposedly wont use any bulb at all. As far as I know there is no date for its release. There is one other manufacturer , but from what I heard, its just a repackaged JVC that is calibrated and is more expensive

All of these new projectors will be 4x3. JVC once had a timetable for when their new products were coming out and that included the one chip 16x9 dila. I think that timetable has been thrown out.

I hope that helps. JVC has come out with the G-150HT. It is a home theater version of the G15. The 150 will be quieter and has been calibrated by JVC. They have supposedly also chosen the best panels available. It will be more costly then the G15. Although the G-150 will be superior to the G15, many people on this forum haves stated, it makes more sense buy the G15, have it calibrated and buy a hushbox. The purchase of the G15 with all of its accessories will be cheaper and equal to the G-150

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
D-ILA is JVC's technology - which they've licensed to other companies as OEMs.

Dukane is one such OEM and has been producing their own copies of the JVC units.

Madrigal - the high end audio company - also has some rebadged JVC units - for a cost of about twice

your budget - about $28K.

Christie Digital and Hitachi have announced their own versions with JVC chips - but they have yet

to go into production.

So, Jason is correct - if you want a D-ILA - the only ones out there are JVCs and their Dukane twins.

Greg

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your prompt reply.

I'm in Brazil, so it will be better to have the projector calibrated by the same person from which I buy it. Do you have any recommendations where I can buy the projector and have it callibrated. Maybe the JVC G-150HT will be better for me then buying separated case because I have to pay the shipping to Brazil, which is around US$ 28.00 per kilo!

Do any of you have experience with those units. I read at this month edition of "The Perfect Vison", which has a Front Projectors Buyer's Guide, that the "Dukane's Image Pro misses making our recommended list because its strengths in the 4:3 mode simply don't hold up with 16:9 viewing". What does that means? Does the Dukane locks in 4:3 even if you choose a subset widescreen resolution (like 1280x720)?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flavioleoni
"Dukane's Image Pro misses making our recommended list because its strengths in the 4:3 mode simply don't hold up with 16:9 viewing". What does that means? Does the Dukane locks in 4:3 even if you choose a subset widescreen resolution (like 1280x720)?
flavioleoni,

just buy a G15 from AVScience! good price, good support, great projector! It's smoke the 16:9s if properly calibrated. While your at it have them calibrate it, and get an ISCO II anamorphic lens. This should keep you in projector bliss for years to come!

Oh yeah, buy a copy of Dilard too. This would be a great combination for about $12k.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Tryg,

One dum question: With the anamorphic lens I'll be able to use the native resolution of the projector (1280x1024) and the lens will do the job of "converting" it to Widescreen or I'm still gonna use the 1280x720?

I'll get in touch with AVScience for the JVC G15...

·
Registered
356 Posts
You will be using the entire panel. The image will be compressed using the Panamorph and expanded horizontally if using the ISCO.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about the Panamorph P752 lens? Will it work good with the G15?

The fact is that I've just bought a HTPC from cellarcinemas.com and they make special prices for returning clients. So I can buy the G15 and the Panamorph lens and have them calibrate it for a great deal (I hope).

What is the difference betwenn both lenses?

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
The only problem with buying a G15 from someone else besides Avscience is that they dont calibrrate machines for you. Avscience has Cliff that calibrates for them and their is a very good calibrater in California (William Phelps) that also does it. So if you get it from someone who doesnt calibrate, you will either have to ship it or have them ship it to either two fellows.

While I understand that the G150Ht might make your life easier, you get buy the G15 and have calibrated by AVscience all at once. Depending on your setup, you might not need a hushbox or you can have one done for you in Brazil

I am sure you know this, but most people use a scaler or a HTPC with the Dila. If you dont use a anamorphic lens, you will probably need Dilard to help you. If you do want a anamporphic lens, then you will need either a scaler or a htpc if you want to watch 4x3.

On the issue of the lenses, the Panny lens 752 supposedly works perfect with the dila( I havent installed mine yet). The only problem is that it has gotten expensive and the waiting time can be very long. I think the Isco II is available and price well compared to the Panny. The difference between them is that one compresses vertically and the other does it horizontally (I dont dont which is which) Avscience or Immersive which is a company related to Avscience has this lens.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Humey,

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. The guys at cellarcinemas.com do calibrate the projector (i think Craig Heim does it). I'm not sure if they are as good as Cliff in such task. I do have an HTPC which will feed the projector. As I said, I bought it from cellarcinemas, so that's why I think I'll get a better price for the equipment (they have different prices for returning clients).

As for I understood, with the lens I'll have to do kind of a "inverse scaling" for watching 4:3 material. Considering that every source will be "converted" to widescreen through the lens, I'll have to change the aspect of the 4:3 material so that even after passing through the lenses it will show as 4:3. Is that so?

I've just received the quotes from AVScience and I'll compare it with the quotes from cellarcinemas.com...

I'm also looking for the screen for the projector, so if you have recommendations, please feel free.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flavioleoni
the "Dukane's Image Pro misses making our recommended list because its strengths in the 4:3 mode simply don't hold up with 16:9 viewing".
What the heck are they talking about?? The D-ILA, showing a 16x9 image inside its 4x3 panel, gives you 1360x768 resolution - higher than any 16x9 digital projector. Maybe you're not using all the resolution the D-ILA has available, but you're still using more resolution than a 16x9 projector. And, it works fine, totally fine. I have a D-ILA (G20), hooked up to a HTPC running at 1360x768, and have had nary a problem.

They may have had issues with the scaler - you don't want to have the D-ILA's scaler do the deinterlacing for you, as I'm sure you've read.

Regarding the Panamorph - it would be nice (I ordered one), but you probably don't want to wait for one before you set your projector up.

And, to echo the statements above - buying a G15 from AVS and having them calibrate it for you and then send it to you, makes the most sense to me.

- dave

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I assume you mean NYC. AVS is in NY, but upstate.

Regarding the calibration - I'd still recommend Cliff or William, although I know nothing about CellerCinemas. They may be fine, too, but you'd probably want some recommendations from people who know what they're doing. There is a definate variation in quality. I had to have mine done twice. The first time it was actually done by JVC themselves, and then I had to have Cliff redo it.

- Dave

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
The calibration that we're talking about here is not the normal ISF calibration as is done with CRTs...

The D-ILA requires a specific type of calibration that currently is the province of AVS forum member

William Phelps, and AVS Science's calibrator, Cliff; who uses Phelp's software.

AVS is probably the way to go for a G15 - they have good prices and if you ask for calibration;

they'll have Cliff calibrate it.

AVS is located in Rochester, NY which is at the western edge of the state of New York - but if

you're coming all the way from Brazil; what's a

few hundred miles.

For 4:3 material with the Panamorph - you can either rescale the 4:3 image so that it comes out

4:3 after the Panamorph compression. Or the Panamorph comes with a mounting rail that allows

you to slide it out of the light path. See:

http://www.visr.com/Panamorph.htm

As far as screens, you might want to check out the Stewart GrayHawk - a gray screen that optimizes the

contrast for digital projectors like the D-ILA. Click on the Stewart link at the top of any AVS

forum webpage.

Greg

·
Registered
842 Posts
Flavio go to www.Adtech-sys.com on 18 East 64 st .that is the best place to compare projector side by side, I know they have one in NY even though I live in the city I went to the one in Providence RI you will not believe they have every kind of projector known to men,

·
Registered
430 Posts
Dave T,

Please elaborate on what was wrong with the JVC calibration. I should be getting my D-ILA after a four (4!) month wait (it's finally been shipped to my dealer) . It was also calibrated by JVC...

Thanks!

Bruce

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Belmore:

Well, to be honest, a big part of it was that I later learned about things they do and do not do, as compared to what William thought they should do. I had had to get the optical block replaced, which required a full recalibration, and I decided to have Cliff do it the second time around, even though JVC probably would have done it for free.

It was a while ago, and I don't recall everything, but I believe that they (JVC) don't do the quarter wave plate adjustment that is sometimes neccessary, and they are unwilling to drop the brightness as far as is neccessary to get accurate color temperature. I also saw some very slight banding in the JVC calibrated projector, that went away with Cliff's calibration.

If you already got it done by JVC, I wouldn't sweat it - I'm sure it will look awesome.

- Dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.