Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have my G15 linked to my HTPC and am using Powerstrip to feed it a 1360 x 1024 @ 72hz resolution.

95% of the DVDs that I watch are PAL 50hz and read on another post that 48hz should give better results with PAL DVDs.

Will my G15 display 1360 x 1024 @ 48hz?

Any help would be most welcome!

Cheers

Paulh.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yes, 48Hz works fine on a D-ILA. The low refresh rate takes much less bandwidth than 72Hz so places less demands on your HTPC, cables and projector circuitry. On my system I see better colours, shadow detail and a cleaner picture at 48Hz compared to 72Hz.

The ideal rate for NTSC DVDs is actually 47.952 Hz (since the NTSC refresh rate is 59.94Hz, not 60Hz). If you're playing PAL DVDs then I think 50Hz is optimal since PAL DVDs are slightly sped up to 25fps instead of 24fps.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David Panko
Yes, 48Hz works fine on a D-ILA.

Dave,

which D-ILAs are you referring to? I have seen the SX21 for an afternoon in my studio and tried everything besides 60Hz, nothing would work (i.e. internally everything is processed as 60Hz). Same thing with the Hitachi SX 5500.

Any comments?

Thanks

Christoph

·
Registered
755 Posts
That's bad news about the SX21! If it turns out to be true with the production models too then it's reason enough for me not to consider buying one - I like the judder free motion of 48/72Hz. All the G-series D-ILAs can take 48Hz to 78Hz with no internal conversion to 60Hz.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
I have tried them all and like 72 HZ (71.9??) the best. Though I rarely watch PAL DVDs (can't stand the pitch speed up). All refresh rates appear to work equally well regardless of the input frequency (film or video). There seems to be no consensus from the DILA gurus on what is the DILA panel's true refresh rate or which refresh rate produces the best picture.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by William
There seems to be no consensus from the DILA gurus on what is the DILA panel's true refresh rate or which refresh rate produces the best picture.
William, David,

Thanks for the info. That's the way it should be, there should not be any ideal refresh rate of the panel as the SOURCE is the crucial thing. If it's PAL film (I simply can't stand the speedup myself, I rather take the 3:2 studder than that) it has to be whole multiples of 25, if it is NTSC whole multiples of 23,928, period, nothing more to say about that (video respectivly 50/60Hz).

Regards

Christoph

PS: I had a D-ILA 150 at my studio for the weekend but other than being overwhelmed by it's internal scaler (esp. HDTV), resolution and color accuracy I had problems with that machine too, i.e. no native resolution 1365*1024 and no other vertical refresh than 60Hz via VGA/DVI. Maybe JVC thinks about home theater optimzed products: "PAL is 50 and NTSC is 60Hz, there is no need for multisync" :(

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
David,

Can I ask you another Question?

At the moment I am feeding my DILA G15 with a 1360 x 1024 @ 72hz via powerstrip. The DILA is on SXGA3. When I try to change the refresh rate to 48hz or 50hz the G15 changes to SXGA1 and my piture does not fit the width of my screen any more.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Paulh.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hi Paul,

You'll have to take the SOURCE option off AUTO and manually select SXGA3. Also turn RESIZE OFF to disable the scaler.

Cheers,

Dave.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.