AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me to decide what kinda HDTV STB is good to go with sony 53xbr300 TV set? Also what kinda Antenna do I need (attic) to get HDTV Channels. I live 30 miles away from Philly? Thanks

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Rocketman-

Unfortuantely your question is akin to asking "which car is best". All of the STB's have pluses and minuses. I personally chose the Panasonic TU-HDS20, which I'm happy with.

I suggest you spend some time searching/reading here to form your own opinion.

------------------

Steve

Visit our dedicated home theater, The City Cinema.

·
Banned
946 Posts
I am similarly situated as you are and the RCA DTC 100 works great with a Winegard antenna on my Pioneer Elite 710.

------------------

·
Registered
779 Posts
Stay away from the sony hd-100 it has functional defects e.g. dropouts on the half and hour marks, loud fan, etc.

I have stayed away from the DTC-100 because, from what I understand it only has a vga output and I did not want to deal with vga to component conversion running up to my projector. But it sounds like a lot of people are happy with it and many places have closeout prices on these boxes but it is being phased out.

I went around this weekend trying out boxes to replace my hd-100. I had the opportunity to play with the Mits and Panny boxes, I was hoping to see the Hughes but I could not find one. From what I understand the Tosh, Mits and Hughes are the same box with different face plates.

The panny was slow, I mean really slow, it can only describe it as uber slow. Interesting and nice interfaces but apparently it exceeds the processing power of the cpu in the box and IMO too slow to be usable. BTW did I say it was slow.

The Mits was nice, it's interfaces was as fast or faster than the Sony and was clean and easy to use, it has no fan and from what I understand does not suffer from the defects that the sony has. It had no preview window but IMO who cares the sonys only worked for analog and SD hdtv stations. It reminded me of the the dtivo directv style where the guide overlays the current playing station. This appeared to be consistent on 199 or sd stations.

The annoying issue is no place had a OTA setup so I could see how well they integrated the directv and ota programming. From what I understand the Mits, Tosh, Hughes box does not currently support psip and the Sony does but from what I can tell either there is very little psip being used or the sony did not process it well so I don't think that is going to be a big loss for me.

I ended up ordering the Hughes, as it is apparently the same box as the Mits and it was $150 cheaper at $650 @ GoodGuys vs $799 for the Mits. I know some one posted a cheaper price at a online retailer but I have a GG gift cert and after my sony experience I prefer to work with a local retailer with a good exchange policy. I have not receive the box yet, they had to special order it so no first hand experience yet, but once it comes in I will post some feedback.

Regards,

Brian

[This message has been edited by btmoore (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've always been a Sony guy, but hated (and returned) their box.

I've had the RCA DTC-1000 and the AA Transcoder for 18 months or so. I love its picture -- no problems at all with OTA or DirecTV.

The guide system is not my cup of tea (the Sony's much better).

But all in all the picture tells the story. I'll stick with the good old RCA.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Best Buy is a good place to check these days for Demo or open box DTC-100's! I just picked up a DTC-100 at a Best Buy in Arlington Hts. IL. for $399. It was a open box (unused) with all parts, box, and new Access card. I have been looking to grab one of these to just get the HDNet channel on DirecTV as I already have Dish! If your looking get over to your nearest BB or CC and start dealing with them! They had mine at $499 but I talked them down to $399.

------------------

------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.