AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum -- having spent some time on the Plasma forum. I'm installing a home theater and the av guy suggested a Hughes HD receiver with Hughes Elliptical dish and Winegard Large HD antenna, then putting it through a Spaun multiswitch to go through the house. Are the Hughes receiver/dish the best way to go? What are the differences in receivers/dishes? Does the receiver/antenna affect pq for SD material as well as HD?

Thanks for all of your help.

Albini

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Your best bet is to read through the STB synopsis.

But the Huges is the best for cheap people that don't have a display that will do 720p.

The zenith sat520 is the best if you want 720p or DVI for guaranteed future compatibility.

Can't help you on the antenna, I only have a set top antenna and it picks up everything for me.

But I can tell you that it doesnt effect the SD D* programming pq quality.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Also pay close attention to any features that are important to you, because the mix of features varies from STB to STB. The Sony HD200 (and its Zenith clone) don't include an RF remote and IR blaster to control a vcr. The Samsung 160 has the IR blaster but not the RF remote. Both of those features were important to me last fall and my TV doesn't have DVI, so I opted for the Hughes E86 and saved a little money that I'll put towards the Directv/TIVO HD STB when it comes out (hopefully before next spring).

The Sony HD300 and it's LG clone promise to combine the best aspects of the HD200 and add those features lacking in the HD200. The only think I've heard that the HD300 lacks is caller ID (which my E86 has but I can't use because I'm using a wireless phone jack). If I was in the market for an HD STB this Fall, I'd be inclined to go with the HD300. But, that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Also, read thru the DirecTV Samsung/Hughes HD upgrade thread. In my opinion, your best bet is to go with the DirecTV deal and save money now. You'll probably get the Samsung SIR-TS160 (a good unit, I have one), new dish and free install for $399 + Shipping. Since most of us really want a HD DirecTivo box (next spring), get HD now for as cheap as you can and spend the money on a high end HD DirecTivo box (hopefully with Firewire) next year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.