AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate any recommendations on the best DirecTV HD STB for pulling in weak OTA signals. I've reviewed the synopsis in this forum but am particularly focused on whether there are material differnces in the quality of the OTA tuners...I'm about 60 miles from the OTA transmitters.

Thanks.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I can only speak about the Zenith 520, but its ability to pull in OTA signals seems amazing to me. I have an old Ratshack antenna on the roof. the signal is split. The signal going to the 520 is routed over 100' thru old RG59 coax, which was left by the cable company years ago. There are 4 connections before it gets into the house. In spite of all this the 520 picks up stations with a strength I've not seen on any OTA receiver I've ever had.

Chucko

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I currently have a Zenith HD-SAT520 and a Samsung SIR-TS160. The Zenith is better than the Samsung for over the air reception. However, my previous Panasonic TUHDS20 had a little more sensitive over the air receiver than the Zenith but had really slow menus and no signal strength indication. Also my first HD-STB was an RCA DTC100 and I would rank it below the Zenith in over the air reception.

Ron Jones

·
Registered
292 Posts
My RCA DTC-100 keeps a very nice picture in the mid 30-40 strength range for our local Fox Channel 8. Unfortunately, their upgrade to digital was not very good - just bare bones type of thing - they DO NOT pass on the Fox widescreen presentations and have ignored e-mails.

Our local NBC WJAC-DT broadcasts beautiful NBC full HD content with signal levels in the upper 70's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.