AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting the HD Tivo DirecTV reciever and I am a little confused about hook ups. I have a new Sony 51 inch HDTV that has 1080i resolution and a single HDMI connector. Will the DirecTV HD receiver upconvert all to 1080i or just the HD channels? I will be using a Dtrovision HDMI Switch Model: HDS-41R to switch between HDMI connections from my DVD player and the new HD Tivo. I will be adding a scaler later and if the HDMI from the HD Tivo connections will not be upconverted,should I just run all of it through the scaler and connect to the component connections on the scaler and out with the DVI HDMI adapter cable to the switch? The scaler I am looking at is the Binwell ZLS-3000.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Directv HD reciever can be set to output 1080i, 720P or 480p it's up to you to decide.

I would not bother with a scaler if you are using HDMI

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much.

I spoke with DirecTV Tech Support and the fellow didn't seem to understand my question or didn't know what HDMI is. It seemed like a simple question at the time: does it upconvert standard def to 1080i or not. Right now with my standard def receiver the picture looks like crapola and my wife is none too happy with my new TV.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Did you try connecting the SD receiver using s-video cable? My Sony HD plasma looks great this way with the aspect set to Widezoom.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDADDYJ_32034
Thanks so much.

I spoke with DirecTV Tech Support and the fellow didn't seem to understand my question or didn't know what HDMI is. It seemed like a simple question at the time: does it upconvert standard def to 1080i or not. Right now with my standard def receiver the picture looks like crapola and my wife is none too happy with my new TV.
SD is gonna look bad upconverted to 1080i also, it's just how it is on HD sets. Your TV has a scaler built in by the way, anything you feed it will be converted to it's native resolution before being displayed, adding a scaler will only help if your TV's isn't doing a good job.

Personally if your set is a CRT, just hook the Tivo up via component and get your money back on the HDMI switch, you'll probably be hard pressed to see any PQ difference between the two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.