AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Adelphia sells to Comcast, I'm outta here and going satellite. What seems to be the best option for use with the Replay 4000? Is the serial connection bulletproof or at least a bit more reliable than the iR emitter? Does the Replay 4000 support Dish Network's numbering scheme?

DirecTv or Dish?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by genearch
If Adelphia sells to Comcast, I'm outta here and going satellite. What seems to be the best option for use with the Replay 4000? Is the serial connection bulletproof or at least a bit more reliable than the iR emitter? Does the Replay 4000 support Dish Network's numbering scheme?

DirecTv or Dish?
I've found (once set up) the serial and IR control equally reliable (DISH 3900/4900 receivers) that shouldn't be a big factor. And yes they the DISH numbering scheme is now supported so you likely have the option to just get the channels you receive and not have to remove hundreds of unused locals. So the choice is wide open.

Of course if the two companies merge the decision is not as important. Right now I'd favor DISH.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
I've found (once set up) the serial and IR control equally reliable (DISH 3900/4900 receivers) that shouldn't be a big factor. And yes they the DISH numbering scheme is now supported so you likely have the option to just get the channels you receive and not have to remove hundreds of unused locals. So the choice is wide open.

Of course if the two companies merge the decision is not as important. Right now I'd favor DISH.
Serial interface? w/ Dish 4x00? I thought the only way to control DISH was using the blaster...

·
Registered
627 Posts
I use Dish and have had no problems with it. AFAIK, no Dish receiver will support a serial connection so you have to use the IR blaster. With a little tweaking to the blaster settings (covered in the FAQ), I have never missed a recording.

When I got a Dish 6000 for HD, I turned the old receiver into a dedicated sat receiver for the Replay so that no one (babysitter, kids, wife) end up messing up a recording--- worth the extra $5/month.

There is one real drawback to using Dish with Replay however-- they keep on adding and remapping locals so that periodically you have to go in and manually delete all the new channels that spring up, which leads to a bigger problem. If the Replay tries to tune the sat to a channel that you don't get the sat (sometimes) puts up a screen saying that you have tuned to a non-existent channel and you should press channel up or channel down to get to an active channel. The problem is that once the sat is on this screen, it won't tune channels until a channel up/down is sent so you then end up with getting that warning screen for any future recordings until you notice it and manually change the channel. While Replay could deal with this by having the machine send an up/down before a channel change, they haven't done that to date (as an aside-- when the Replay sends a channel up/down to the Sat, it actually puts in a new 3 digit channel number so you need to either press the up/down button manually on the sat receiver or use the sat remote). Because of this quirk, I tend to avoid using Theme based recordings.

Genearch-- are you the same genearch from ClubLexus? If so, you've inspired me to get black pearl emblems for my new black/black 430 which my dealer promises me will show up off the boat next month.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Yep serial interface only with certain DSS (D*) receivers while IR Blaster on (E*) boxes and most digital cable. Either work fine... Blaster just takes attention to set up but short of the cat pulling it off it's 100% reliable in my experience with 3900/4900 E* receivers.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Serial interface is bulletproof. I'm sure most people have little to no trouble with the IR control once they get it setup. But the serial control is a no brainer.

Yes, serial control is only available for the DirecTV receivers. With the Dish boxes, just make sure that you don't get one with RF control (do they make those anymore?)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
I ...

Genearch-- are you the same genearch from ClubLexus? If so, you've inspired me to get black pearl emblems for my new black/black 430 which my dealer promises me will show up off the boat next month.
That be me... :D

I think it'll be DirecTv for me if Adelphia goes belly up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.