1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one out there compared DIY screens SPECIFIC

to CRT projectors???

What is the best DIY solution?

The AVS forum on screens is almost entirely devoted to our BULB type bretheren. There is hardly any mention of the best DIY solution for CRT projectors. So, I thought I would ask y'all.

My room will accomodate a 80" (7feet, 6 inches) wide screen since seating will be about 13 feet from the screen.

Thanks for your help....

·
Registered
125 Posts
search for "parkland plastics" thats what I use and its ok but the upgrade bug will bite you eventually

Brandon

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
The best DIY is a screen sprayed with GooSystems CRT primer and paint, I've built three so far, and they are every bit as good as a Stewart. Once you build one of these, you will have no need to upgrade...this IS the upgrade.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Did you use blackout material for your screens? I want to build a 4:3 screen to effectively use more of the phosfor over 8' wide 16:9, but at 6' high, most fabric stores cannot deliver.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Does Ken still sell the Goo? How do you get it? I've got a painted screen using the Behr Ultra White with Eggshell finish (same that a lot of other folks have done) and I was wondering if Ken's Goo would be better.

Cary

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who is this KEN and what is his goo all about?

Is his goo better than a commercial screen?

I am trying to go low budget on this... that is why I am looking for a DIY solution to the screen situation.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Yeah, go to www.goosystems.com Enter the site then click on "screen goo" under the list of items on the left.

I built two screens using a 1X2 hardwood frame and smooth 1/4 pressboard. (looks like pegboard without the holes) then stretched canvas over it. (one used Artist canvas, the other drop cloth canvas bought at Home Depot)

The third screen used the frame and pressboard, no canvas, and it's the best of the three...very smooth even finish. Total cost around $200, and worth every cent.

The screen I use right now is sprayed on the artist canvas, at some point I will make myself a new screen, sprayed on pressboard.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Low budget: Da-lite Model B pulldown.

Will be as good as a DIY screen with a fraction of the hassle. Lots of these for sale on flea-bay.

If you want it wall-mounted you could always cut out the fabric of a 8x6foot Model B and put it on a frame.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Hmm, I've got a Dalite Model B, 8x6'. In fact, it's still rolled up above my hard (permanent) screen. I decided to build my own because of the ripples I got. I tried tensioning it but it didn't completely cure it.

I'll give the Goo a try. Thanks.

Cary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.