AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife won't even let me hang pictures around the house! (Well that's an exageration, but not much).

I can build a computer from scratch but give me a saw and a hammer and I'm lost. :)

What's the easiest and best DIY screen for someone like me. I'm getting a 4805 and will have a room with controlled lighting.

I really like something wallmounted and think I want to avoid doing the painting route. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
A DoAble 1/4" x 49" x 8' vinyl board from Home Depot is cheap and easy to handle. For a slightly better picture I'd go with a melamine board from Home Depot or Lowe's. I've seen it in two thicknesses and both are heavy enough for two people to carry. Have them cut either the DoAble or melamine board to length for you. The DoAble would be the easiest since it is lighter. If you've got someone to help, I recommend the melamine board. However, for a slightly better picture you would need to paint, and if considering you MAY do this some day, I recommend getting the DoAble since it is lighter and easier to work with.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Parkland Durotherm Lite panels found at Menards and other home improvement stores. Standard in 4ft x 8ft x 5/16" thick core. Just hang and enjoy, of course you may have to trim it depending on what size screen your planning. Very light wait and easy to hang or even attach a DIY black boarder around for a custom look. One side is smooth white. Many of us have used Parkland thinner material for years. Cost under $30

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I was thinking I was going go the route of building a frame and stretching the blackout cloth over it.

Will the DoAble or Parkland give as good or better results? What about which is a better looking screen astecically. The wife factor will come into play a little here as well.

Also, I'd like to go with about a 109 inch screen. Would these work for that?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
For the WAF I suggest using a very nice looking black boarder; however for someone who's not that handy, I'm not sure what would work best. Hope someone helps you with this.

Based on my experience and from what I've read, for picture quality I'd consider BO cloth better than the DoAble, the Parkland better than BO cloth, a melamine board better than the Parkland, and Behr UPW better than a melamine board.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Behr UPW is Behr Ultra Pure White paint. Available at your local Home Depot.

1Time, you'd consider the DoAble worse than BO, eh? Boy, glad I didn't try the DoAble then. I've got a BO screen and it works, but it's not great. It's a bit dim, especially for a CRT. Might be OK for brighter digital projectors, but I want something with a bit more pop. Don't want to try painting my BO (don't have a sprayer, and rolling on an already-mounted BO is mighty difficult to do right), so I was thinking of DoAble or something like that for a new screen. Maybe I'll get some melamine and maybe paint it one of these days.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
garyfritz, having not used BO cloth before, it would be my best estimate from what I've read that the PQ one may obtain from BO cloth would be better than a DoAble.

I just can't see going to the trouble of building a frame and stretching BO cloth when there are easier and better DIY screens. For no painting and no framing, I'd go with a melamine board. For cheaper, easier, no painting and no framing, I'd go with a DoAble. However, if painting, I'd go with a DoAble and paint the vinyl side without primer.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
A hunk of melamine has to be pretty reasonably priced, but it probably comes in different finishes &etc. Do you know the HD product # for a melamine that is known to work well?

And from the sounds of it, you'd say the UPW is only slightly better than straight melamine. That would be a lot simpler and a lot more durable, cleanable, etc.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Melamine goes for about $30 to $35 out the door. The melamine at HD and Lowe's look exactly the same, MDF with melamine on both sides. I bought mine at HD in 2' x 4' sections measuring 3/4" thick to use other than for a screen, but of course that didn't stop me from trying it out. I believe the other thickness stocked at HD is 5/8". Sorry, I don't have any numbers for the melamine.

As long as you can transport and handle the heavy melamine, it is like you say more simple, easier, durable and cleanable. I rolled the edges of melamine I have with white primer since moisture on the unfinished edges could cause a problem. Again, if not painting, I'd say melmine is the way to go. Then again, with melamine there's always the option later to paint.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for the noob question again...but if I want to create a screen size of about 110" how would I do that with the melamine? Would I need a couple of pieces? How do you cover up the seam?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchdown
t give me a saw and a hammer and I'm lost. :)

What's the easiest and best DIY screen for someone like me. I'm getting a 4805 and will have a room with controlled lighting.

I really like something wallmounted and think I want to avoid doing the painting route. Any thoughts?
If you REALLY don't want any sawing, painting, gluing, etc, then try what I did. Read towards the end of this thread :
http://www.avsforum.com/avsvb/showth...ght=gatorboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub0
If you intend to use gatorboard, and are lazy like me, I suggest the 1/2" thick (Cdn$75 for the 8'x4' from GE Plastic here. More than double that at the signage shops.). It is stiff enough to not require any frames. I "edgeband" it with plastic edging meant for steel drywall frames. Three 8' lengths cost me Cdn$4.50. Cut one into two 4' lengths with a blade. Slip them on, and you're done. A good looking screen with rounded edges without having to use any saw, nails, screws, staples or glue. And light enough to just velco to the wall. Took me 10 or 15 minutes to do it.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfritz
Behr UPW is Behr Ultra Pure White paint. Available at your local Home Depot.

1Time, you'd consider the DoAble worse than BO, eh? Boy, glad I didn't try the DoAble then. I've got a BO screen and it works, but it's not great. It's a bit dim, especially for a CRT. Might be OK for brighter digital projectors, but I want something with a bit more pop. Don't want to try painting my BO (don't have a sprayer, and rolling on an already-mounted BO is mighty difficult to do right), so I was thinking of DoAble or something like that for a new screen. Maybe I'll get some melamine and maybe paint it one of these days.
Gary, Parkland plastic is $19.95 at HD and Lowes. I'm planning on using it as a temporary screen for testing. I'll be attaching it to my textured (UUG!) and painted wall with a bunch of 3M Command adhesive strips. The Parkland is really light weight. I figures 15-20 of the large strips will be MORE than enough to hold it for a short period. Though I'm not sure I'd try this on a streched BO screen.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchdown
Sorry for the noob question again...but if I want to create a screen size of about 110" how would I do that with the melamine? Would I need a couple of pieces? How do you cover up the seam?
Assuming a 16x9 screen, a 4'x8' sheet would not be big enough for a 110" diagonal; you'd only get about 98". I doubt there would be an acceptable way to adjoin 2 pieces.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used a 4 x 8 sheet of Parkland and made a wood frame around it made from firring strips painted black. I am no carpenter. It turned out nice enough for my deck. I cut it to 48 x 85 for a 98" diagonal screen. I am planning on doing something similar for my indoor home theater when I finish my basement this winter.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
PAW, but Parkland isn't much better than BO, is it? And it requires a lot of support. I had the impression the melamine, being almost as bright as UPW, had a lot more snap than the Parkland, and it's self-supporting.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Instead of using the .060 Parkland material, you could use the Parkland Durotherm Lite Panels, also found at Menards and other places. Comes in 4' x 8' x 5/16 core, no backing required. One side is the same material as the flimsy version. I think the Parkland has a very bright smooth white finish.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfritz
PAW, but Parkland isn't much better than BO, is it? And it requires a lot of support. I had the impression the melamine, being almost as bright as UPW, had a lot more snap than the Parkland, and it's self-supporting.
Gary, I don't know about the PQ of either. Yes, the Parkland requires support. You can roll it into a large cylinder to transport. :) Just FYI, melamine is very similar in this aspect. I'd say it's a little stiffer but you can still roll it into a cylinder. It has to be attached to some substrate, like MDF or plywood, to be self supporting.

My need is for a cheap and easy temporary screen to test my PJ. So, I will not be too picky on the PQ. Your need is a more permanent solution with a better PQ. My final plans call for a roll down screen.

In another thread, someone mentions using magnets to temporarily attach screen material samples to another fabric screen without damaging it. With some hellious magnets, you might be able to do this with the Parkland and your BO screen.

If you test the melamine/MDF board, you could test the Parkland at the same time using double sided sticky tape or Command adhesive. Plus if you keep your recipt, you can return either one or both to HD or Lowes. ;)

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
A cheap temp screen is a DoAble Vinyl board from HD, 1/4" x 49" x 8', $15.

The melamine boards are thick, stiff, heavy MDF with melamine on both sides.

I'd say there's a fairly subtle difference in PQ between a Parkland, a melamine board and UPW flat. The differences can be seen but it's more like a "oh yeah I see it now" difference rather than a "pop or bang" there it is difference".

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Time
A cheap temp screen is a DoAble Vinyl board from HD, 1/4" x 49" x 8', $15.

The melamine boards are thick, stiff, heavy MDF with melamine on both sides.

I'd say there's a fairly subtle difference in PQ between a Parkland, a melamine board and UPW flat. The differences can be seen but it's more like a "oh yeah I see it now" difference rather than a "pop or bang" there it is difference".
Would you have a SKU for the DoAble or at least a common location in the store? I've found the Parkland in my local HD.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.