AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best DIY sub kit (that will take me only an hour or so) for under $500?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Even if you are extremly skilled, I don't think that there is any speaker project that takes only 1 hour to build. In fact, even speaker manufacturers take longer than 1 hour to build a pair of speakers. Like Dynaudio for instance, each pair of speakers is assembled by 1 person, and It takes them a full 3 days to finish a pair of speakers.

I have built many speakers in the past years and have not built a speaker in less than 1 hour, even if it is really simple. If you are in that hurry, I do not recommend DIY for you. A DIY project takes a lot of patience, first you need a plan (speaker design, price), buy all the materials (woofer, amplifier, cables, port tubes, MDF, screws, and of course you need power tools!). Most DIY subs do not come with their own enclosure,and when they do, they are very expensive. If you do not want to make your own enclosure then what's the point of a DIY project?

James

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch! Is that reality setting in?

I had read that subs on partsexpress, about $500 for the entire package, where you spent an hour or two on, would perform quite well in comparison to $1000 subs. That is more or less what I was looking for...a package deal that I just put together.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You may be referring to the Vance Dickson sub kit from Parts Express. I think there is one around $350 and doesn't take much to finish. Isn't the cabinet already put together? He is supposed to be a very good speaker designer, so I would guess you should end up with a nice sub without too much of the do it yourself complications. That would be a good project for a beginner.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Enquire at Acoustic Vision and Rutledge as mentioned above for what can be done in the way of flat kits. $500 will be tight for a Tempest when adding in a flat kit though. But if you can swing it, definately the best option.

Acoustic Visions also has these fancy pocket screw holes (at least I think they are still doing this) which will make assembly much easier. Hour or two to assemble the box, let it dry over night. Another few hours to finish it (this could be quick or several days depending on the finish you choose). Then a few minutes to screw in and wire up the amp and driver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.