AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best DIY sub (that will take me an hour or so to put together) for under $500?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
logged on, cannot find any enclosures on their site?????

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
either way....pre-assembled or a kit. Just something that is proven so that I do not invest time and money and then screw it up!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Acoustic-Visions will sell you a sub in any form from a single driver to a completed hardwood veneered enclosure. Rutledge Audio will also sell you a kit but I'm not sure about the driver. I would link you directly to them but I think forum rules prohibit that since they are not paid advertisers.

-Robert

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have I missed something? This guy is trying to get a diy sub that he can assemble and finish in an hour or so. I don't think there is a diy project or kit out there, where this objective can be met. If time is a premium to him, he would probably be better served in buying a production sub. He could probably get a decent sub in his price range.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
The two sites I mention above will sell you a cabinet knocked down into a flat. All you do is glue it together. Also Parts Express has a few kits based on their Titanic driver. The cabinets come finished. All you do is assemble.

-Robert

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I missed the part about "assemble in an hour or so" in the original post. That pretty much leaves out any DIY effort where you build the enclosure, even if it comes cut and ready for glue.

Parts-Express is a sponsor of AVS, This set of links might help support them in turn.
Quote:
Parts Express has just made it easier for you to build that awesome subwoofer you've always wanted! We took our famous Titanic subwoofer cabinets and had them professionally finished. Then we mated them with our best drivers and amplifiers, creating easy to build (in 1 hour or less) subwoofer systems. Perfect for the builder who does not have the time, equipment or patience to design or finish their own subwoofer system.
Parts Express 12 inch Titanic Subwoofer Kit - $450.77
Parts Express 15 inch Titanic Subwoofer Kit - $438.72

I have no idea why the 12 inch sub is more expensive than the 15 inch, but sometimes things work in your favor due to the smaller size being more popular. Both look to be in your price range. I have seen the sub-cabinets in their showroom in Ohio. They are very heavy and looked well built.

J. L.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Adire Audio offers the Rava subwoofer for only $399. This is not a DIY kit, this is a finished subwoofer. It uses the highly regarded Shiva driver 12", 250 watts of power, sealed enclosure.

James

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys...thanks a ton for all the links and advice. I see the 1hr or so caught a few questions/concerns.

I have no problem with a 1-5hr type project, but what I wanted to escape from was 2 hours on a computer, 5 hrs in design and measurments, 2 hours cutting, 3 hours of asembly, 8 hours of finish etc....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.