AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,


I'm in the market for a DLP (most likely Sammy), and am wondering which is the best set out there in the 2K to 2.5K range.


Also, what exactly does Sammy mean when they state, "all format conversion to 720p"? Does this mean that they don't do 1080i? The reason I'm not going with a Diect view is because Sony's didn't do 720p. It was converted to 1080i.... sheesh, I can't win...lol.


All I was really looking for is a set with kick ass image quality that can do both 1080i and 720p and have a DVI input.


Thanks for your help,


Joey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
Joey,


I don't think you'll find any DLP in your price range, unless it is previously viewed. Certainly not the Samsung models. However, there is some competition coming, so if you can wait long enough you might find one at that price eventually.


All DLPs are native 720p, so they convert everything to that resolution. You can feed them any HDTV resolution, and they will display it at 720p. Its just a fact of life. I love my Sammy whether its converting 1080i or directly displaying 720p. Heck, it even looks reasonably good on SD analog cable (I would have said great, but I recently got Comcast HD and nothing short of HDTV looks as good as it used to).


Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tim,


I didn't know all DLP does 720p.... The image is beautiful and I just never thought about it I guess. I should have known better and studied it more. I guess that's why I'm here.


I kinda realize that my hopes for a less expensive set are running a bit too high, but maybe somebody out there knew something I didn't. I thought I'd give it a try. Heck, even on Ebay they're pretty pricey. Although I did see the 50'' Sammy for just over 3199 on ebay selling out of a Brooklyn Electronic's store. I live in Jersey so it would be convenient. I'll read up more on the DLP before I decide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
I don't know where you live but I was able to find a place in SE Michigan that priced a HLN4365 just outside the upper end of your range before tax. I went with the HLN5065 and am very happy running Comcast HD cable and Bravo D1 via DVI. PM me for details if you want.


-c
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
I am about to buy a Sammy 4365, with a sammy 931 dvd. Are you saying that it is not true High Def? What do you mean, everything is converted to 720, I am not really seeing 1080 like I would see in a high end Plasma??


Thanks Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
720p IS High Def. As is 1080i. They are different technically by the way the picture is scanned, but the resulting image is similar. Both 720p and 1080i look great. The plasma's also down-convert from 1080i as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cheapest I've seen a Samsung DLP was the hln 4365w was around 2700 but refurbished. I don't think I'm going that route. It will get cheaper, but by that time new technology will be out. If I wait for the price to go down, I'm gonna want the latest techno and wind up waiting for THAT price to go down and... well folks, I can go on with this forever.


A new one for 2800 isn't too bad though, I guess. A brooklyn electronics place has 'em. Don't know the name off hand. Found it on ebay. But still a bit too pricey for me. Damn, I'm a cheapskate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marrinhas
It will get cheaper, but by that time new technology will be out. If I wait for the price to go down, I'm gonna want the latest techno and wind up waiting for THAT price to go down and... well folks, I can go on with this forever.
Alas, buying an HDTV is a little like buying a PC. Sigh...


Sooke
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marrinhas
The cheapest I've seen a Samsung DLP was the hln 4365w was around 2700 but refurbished. I don't think I'm going that route. It will get cheaper, but by that time new technology will be out. If I wait for the price to go down, I'm gonna want the latest techno and wind up waiting for THAT price to go down and... well folks, I can go on with this forever.


A new one for 2800 isn't too bad though, I guess. A brooklyn electronics place has 'em. Don't know the name off hand. Found it on ebay. But still a bit too pricey for me. Damn, I'm a cheapskate.
You said you're in NJ. Check out PC Richards. They're usually pretty willing to haggle, and I think I heard of someone getting the 50" under $3k, so if you're OK with a 43, you might be able to talk them into your price range. If you go to the Paramus store, ask for Jose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lee,


I will do just that. I live in Northern NJ myself near Elizabeth. I'll ask for Jose. Should I say that Lee sent me...lol


joey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
The best DLP in that range is probably a front-projector, unfortunately the RPTVs are sorta high at this time.... that or it exists in the not-so-distance future, as in next year sometime in all likelihood.


I believe you'd be able to find a good RP-LCD in that range with similar form-factor and screen size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lmychajluk
You said you're in NJ. Check out PC Richards. They're usually pretty willing to haggle, and I think I heard of someone getting the 50" under $3k, so if you're OK with a 43, you might be able to talk them into your price range. If you go to the Paramus store, ask for Jose.
I went to that PC Richards too to get my Panny 50LC13.


They asked me how much I wanted to pay and I told them. They said ok to me without arguing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I probably won't be able to go to a PC Richard this week, but early next week, I'll take a ride over. I'll check out prices and talk to sales people. If I go to the paramus store, I'll talk to Jose...lol




joey
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top