AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a 42"-50" set with a $2500 limit. I will probably be using it for like 40% gaming 35% tv and 25% DVDs. So, my two main concerns are resistance to burn in and lag free gaming in everything from 480i to 1080i. I hear that Samsung DLP is terrible for gaming but I don't know much about the other DLP and LCD options so I'm posting here to see if I can get some advice.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I would second the recommendation for the Sony KDF-E50A10. The dynamic iris and VGA input are two of the more notable features that the TV has.

·
Registered
33 Posts
yeah, i'll agree. i own a 50A10 and i really like it. hdtv looks incredible, dvds look great too and videogames are pretty crazy on a screen that big. i have not experienced any lag or ghosting whatsoever while playing ps2 and gamecube, although i have not played online yet...this shouldn't create a problem anyway, unless your internet connection is poor, which isn't a problem w/ the tv anyway. but, just so you know, SD channels vary in quality, so don't expect everything to look stunning on a tv this big.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with Chris on this one... check out the Sony LCD Projection TV, the A10 specifically... the 42 inch model is wonderful at only $1999 (max price). The blacks are better than the majority of LCDs out there, and I haven't noticed any lag when playing a intense games of Halo 2.

I will be getting this tv myself; hopefully soon!

If you ask them, most guys at Circuit City will let you bring in your game console and give it a test run.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I really like my Mits DLP (Wd-62525) with its VGA input, and a custom resolution of 1200x666 the results are very impressive :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by animefx
I agree with Chris on this one... check out the Sony LCD Projection TV, the A10 specifically... the 42 inch model is wonderful at only $1999 (max price). The blacks are better than the majority of LCDs out there, and I haven't noticed any lag when playing a intense games of Halo 2.

I will be getting this tv myself; hopefully soon!

If you ask them, most guys at Circuit City will let you bring in your game console and give it a test run.
Well, I actually work at Circuit City so that wouldn't be a problem. I just don't 100% trust our entertainment guys advice so I figured I'd ask here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For what it's worth I went to best buy and played street crimes of LA (720p) on a Mitsubishi 720p DLP and LCD (component hookup). The LCD looked slightly better (sharper).

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I play gamecube and xbox online on a lcd projection sony and the picture is stunning. No lag, and no motion blur (Doom 3, Ninja Gaiden, Halo 1 & 2, Metroid 1 & 2, Super Smash Bros. Melee) and the list goes on. I'm a big gaming fan and the sony lcd has not let me down in the least bit.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it looks like I got my answer. I was already looking at those Sonys and with so many people saying how great they are I guess that's what I'll go with.

Just to clarify though LCD can't possibly get burn in? Cause I kept hearing how unlikely burn in is to get on a CRT RPTV and yet we managed it. Also, what is the average cost and frequency of replacing the bulb on a set like the KDF-E50A10?

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew224
Just to clarify though LCD can't possibly get burn in? Cause I kept hearing how unlikely burn in is to get on a CRT RPTV and yet we managed it. Also, what is the average cost and frequency of replacing the bulb on a set like the KDF-E50A10?
LCDs can never get burn in which is also the reason they are so popular as computer monitors. As for the replacement bulb it currently costs $200 and usually such a bulb will last about 2 years with average use.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I would highly recommend lcd rp for gaming. People have complained of motion blur on fast action games but I've yet to see it. And it's also great because it's impossible to have burn in on an lcd screeen (CRT's and plasmas use phosphor which is the main component behind burn in).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi
I would highly recommend lcd rp for gaming. People have complained of motion blur on fast action games but I've yet to see it. And it's also great because it's impossible to have burn in on an lcd screeen (CRT's and plasmas use phosphor which is the main component behind burn in).

Yep. If you're a stone cold gamer, LCDrp is the way to go.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm a bigtime gamer, but I could not go for an LCD RP because of SDE (screen-door effect). Whenever I look at one of these TVs, the SDE pops out at me. It's unbearable, sort of like some people who can see the rainbows with DLPs.

The other affordable options for me are either DLP or maybe one of the HD-ILAs or SXRDs coming out in the next few months. Hopefully the Sony SXRDs won't be as effected by SDE as the Sony LCD RP TVs.

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I don't know if most people can even see SDE from more than a few feet while playing a video game. Most video games these days have so much movement and interaction that you wouldn't even be able to see it unless you stopped paying attention to the actual game and started focusing on the screen.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You might be right, I haven't played a videogame on an LCD RP, but I see SDE when viewing TV and DVDs on these sets. SDE is a factor of the technology, not the input, so wouldn't it show up on videogames also?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by utexas05alum
I'm a bigtime gamer, but I could not go for an LCD RP because of SDE (screen-door effect). Whenever I look at one of these TVs, the SDE pops out at me. It's unbearable, sort of like some people who can see the rainbows with DLPs.

The other affordable options for me are either DLP or maybe one of the HD-ILAs or SXRDs coming out in the next few months. Hopefully the Sony SXRDs won't be as effected by SDE as the Sony LCD RP TVs.

-Kyle
I don't think SDE will be an issue with either the SXRD's or D-ILA's as they both have much higher fill rates than DLP's or LCD RPTV's.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
In theory it would show, but in reality you wouldn't be able to see it because you usually you have to be close and focused on it. If you can see SDE on every movie from 7 to 8 feet away (on a 60 in screen) you may be looking for it. The new SXRD's will make it harder for you to see SDE but that's a price jump you will have to budget for.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.