AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I are trying to determine which Rear projection set will be able to produce the highest quality image for movie watching with DVDs.

(Must be LCD or DLP, no room for a CRT unit.)

We are looking at RP's preferably 50" or bigger.

What is you opinion on this?

note: If a specific DVD player is required to get the best possible image with the set you believe to be the best, please mention it, and the method required for connectivity.

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
If you ask 10 people, you'll get 12 opinions. Both DLPs and LCDs have their pros and cons (there are lots of related threads on this site), but for my 2 cents, I love the Samsung DLPs. I bought the 56" model about 5 months ago, and it was the best decision I made. Just go to a local store and make sure you don't see rainbows (most people don't, but if you do, you should rule DLPs out). The high def channels look incredible, as do DVDs. DLPs are supposed to be even more incredible with DVD players that have a DVI output (there is a DVI input on the Samsung DLPs), but there are problems with the currently available DVD players with DVI. I am waiting for the next generation of DVD players (many brands, including Samsung, Toshiba, Denon, LG, and Panasonic, displayed coming models with DVI output at the CES show, so the wait will only be a few months).

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
There you go. That's all you need. :)

Of course you'll want more so check the "popular" thread at the bottom of my message.

Things to look for.

Arun Gupta's "HLN Guide" in the Samsung section.

DLP VS LCD in the General section.

The list of "con" threads for each at the bottom of the "popular" message.

·
Banned
1,239 Posts
Buy a Sim255-inch and a Samsung931 player and use DVI--it will cost a zillion dollars, but will give you the best picture--for the greatest picture wait for the Sammy 1080p set at the end of the year, use the 1080i setting on the 931 player and let the set easily convert it to 1080p--now that should be a great picture!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BillP
If you ask 10 people, you'll get 12 opinions. Both DLPs and LCDs have their pros and cons (there are lots of related threads on this site), but for my 2 cents, I love the Samsung DLPs. I bought the 56" model about 5 months ago, and it was the best decision I made. Just go to a local store and make sure you don't see rainbows (most people don't, but if you do, you should rule DLPs out). The high def channels look incredible, as do DVDs. DLPs are supposed to be even more incredible with DVD players that have a DVI output (there is a DVI input on the Samsung DLPs), but there are problems with the currently available DVD players with DVI. I am waiting for the next generation of DVD players (many brands, including Samsung, Toshiba, Denon, LG, and Panasonic, displayed coming models with DVI output at the CES show, so the wait will only be a few months).
yes, I want opinions.

Note: we just watched sections of Star Wars Episode 2 on DVD on a Samsung 50" at Circuit City. The salesman said that it was running at normal 480P. I thought the image looked "Soft".....All the other T.V.s there had HD programming running on them and they looked much better. He was unable to pump in the HD signal to the Sammy we were watching, so I have no way of comparing the same soure material....Nor was he able to get the Starwars DVD we had brought to play on the other TV's there......:( So I'm lost on what to really think at this point.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
You might think CC is usless for evaluating PQ in RPTV sets.

Also, to see what a Samsung DLP can do with a DVD your best shot is to see them played on a DVI DVD player outputting 720p to the DVI port on the Samsung.

The second best shot is to have the DVD player output 480i to the Samsung's Component 1 port.

Again, check out Arun's "HLN Guide" and his "DVI guide".

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
who has viewed DLP and LCD sets using the highest quality connections/player?.....as I said, CC has not been helpful at all. I don't live anywhere near a metro area where I can access best case scenarios for demoing sets.

more opinions on this please....

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
It's obviously not fair to compare a DVD on one TV with HD on another. Are there any other stores in your area? Did you notice any rainbows? If not, I still think you'll like the Sammy. By the way, will you be watching HD or SD channels? All these HDTVs look pretty mediocre with SD watching.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Billy Gun - I went through a similar process and purchased the Sammy DLP - the 61" model. I use a Pioneer 563A DVD player running to component 2 and sending the progressive signal (480P is what the signal is I believe) and the TV upconverts it to 720P (I use component one through my receiver for PS/2 & Xbox). This is my temporary solution while waiting for the next gen DVI or HDMI DVD players.

In case you don't know HDMI is DVI + audio, and you can get a HDMI to DVI converter cable.

I'm no videophile, but I am quite impressed with my picture so far. One note though, if you go the DLP route, it takes about a 100 hours of viewing before the lamp 'breaks in' so to speak. Think of it as a similar process when you break in speakers. I also calibrated my set with an S&V DVD, and it helped quite a bit.

A lot of members here have had their sets 'ISF' calibrated, and from what I have read the results have been incredible. Unfortunately, there is no ISF calibrator tech type person where I am - maybe I can somehow learn this, quit my job, and become the ISF tech guy up here - now that would be a dream job :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Man, it is hard to compare these sets side by side, because they never are. And I've been to numerous big box and high-end stores. I have yet to see an LCD that's not in a room with fluorescent light. I did see a Sammy 50" DLP at BB. It was in a darker section of the store. I watched ESPN HD and then T2 DVD via a DVI connection. I was blown away by the PQ. There was nothing soft about it. The salesman played T2 where a fireball explosion fills the screen. It looked amazing. Fine detail. No artifacts.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jimnc
I did see a Sammy 50" DLP at BB. It was in a darker section of the store. I watched ESPN HD and then T2 DVD via a DVI connection. I was blown away by the PQ. There was nothing soft about it. The salesman played T2 where a fireball explosion fills the screen.
A darker room and a DVI DVD player outputting 720p (I assume) at BB. Not only do you have one of the best two football teams in America you must also have the best BB. :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Plan a trip to a place with a good HT store. Examples are Sound Advice, Tweeter, Ultimate Electronics, there are others, but these stores ROCK!!! Of course they can sell out of any given TV at any given time, but it is common for me to be able to walk in and lined up all in a beautiful row, in a low light (no windows) room are Samy 46, 50, 56, 61, Sony GW2 50, GW3 50, 60, 60XBR950, 70XBR950 (often sold out), then Mits diamond, Pioneer Elite, ... All running HDNet or Discovery HD, then you can switch to OTA HD (for TV's with ATSC tuners,) then switch to an SD channel, or put in your fav DVD and smile. Then of course they have dedicated sound proof listening and viewing rooms. Or walk into the FP room and switch between a half dozen different FP's. And the 4 level wall of Plasma's will really help you see the difference between great and poor.

Anyway, I don't know where you are, but it's worth a weekend.

Enjoy

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Billy Gun
The salesman said that it was running at normal 480P. I thought the image looked "Soft".....All the other T.V.s there had HD programming running on them and they looked much better.
DVD resolution is 720x480. No way to get higher than 480i or 480p out of a DVD player unless something is scaling the picture, which is fine, but will not actually increase the real resolution of the picture and will introduce scaling artifacts. For DVDs, 480p (if the DVD player is deinterlacing) or 480i (if the TV or an external interlacer is involved) is best. IMHO--I'm open to being wrong on this.

Edit: One exception is if you've got a 720p display with a DVI input like the Samsung HLNs. In that case, most people seem to agree that it's better to let the DVD player scale to 720p and output a pixel-perfect picture to the TV.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BillP
It's obviously not fair to compare a DVD on one TV with HD on another. Are there any other stores in your area? Did you notice any rainbows? If not, I still think you'll like the Sammy. By the way, will you be watching HD or SD channels? All these HDTVs look pretty mediocre with SD watching.
Agree completey on not comapring HD on one set with DVD on another.

only other store is BB...they aren't much better, but I am going there today.

I know that SD will look like crap, but am not concerned with that.

What types of scenes on DVD's should I be watching for rainbows?......I didn't see any so far....

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kpt_Krunch
Billy Gun - I went through a similar process and purchased the Sammy DLP - the 61" model. I use a Pioneer 563A DVD player running to component 2 and sending the progressive signal (480P is what the signal is I believe) and the TV upconverts it to 720P (I use component one through my receiver for PS/2 & Xbox). This is my temporary solution while waiting for the next gen DVI or HDMI DVD players.

In case you don't know HDMI is DVI + audio, and you can get a HDMI to DVI converter cable.

I'm no videophile, but I am quite impressed with my picture so far. One note though, if you go the DLP route, it takes about a 100 hours of viewing before the lamp 'breaks in' so to speak. Think of it as a similar process when you break in speakers. I also calibrated my set with an S&V DVD, and it helped quite a bit.

A lot of members here have had their sets 'ISF' calibrated, and from what I have read the results have been incredible. Unfortunately, there is no ISF calibrator tech type person where I am - maybe I can somehow learn this, quit my job, and become the ISF tech guy up here - now that would be a dream job :)
Thanks Krunch! That's what I'm looking for...first hand experiences from unbiased sources. Thanks for your input.:)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
1080p DLP wont be out @ the end of the year, unless u wanna enlighten me..

Quote:
Originally posted by Jet Champion
Buy a Sim255-inch and a Samsung931 player and use DVI--it will cost a zillion dollars, but will give you the best picture--for the greatest picture wait for the Sammy 1080p set at the end of the year, use the 1080i setting on the 931 player and let the set easily convert it to 1080p--now that should be a great picture!

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Well I don’t think that anything can’t beat a computer upconverting a standard DVD through the component outputs of an ATI video card at 720p to a Sony GWIII. Well at least not without using a high def .wmv DVD or without going over $4000 for the whole setup. This is how I have mine setup and it looks a whole lot better than the Samsung High def DVD player that I borrowed from Best Buy. Plus there are no black crush issues!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.