AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to discuss which in-production, consumer-level 7.2.4 (11.2 or 9.2+2) receiver platform is best for Atmos/Dolby Surround usage.

It seems like the current options are:

• Onkyo TX-NR3030 (all-in-one solution)
  • Denon AVR-X7200W (needs dual channel amp)
  • Yamaha RX-A3040BL (needs dual channel amp)
  • Marantz SR7009 (needs dual channel amp)

(Or there is the Trinnov Altitude 32 for 10 times the price, I suppose.)

Considerations seem to be:

• HDCP 2.2 support
  • Room correction (Audyssey or in-house)
  • Sound upmixing (Dolby Surround and/or DTS Neo:X and/or in-house)
  • 4K upconversion
  • Amp power/clarity/other mysterious audio quality considerations
  • Hypothetical DTS:X upgrade ability based on DSP power
  • Auro 3D support (some people care about this I guess)

Apologies if this has been posted somewhere else; I know there is some information buried in the middle of other threads like the enormous Atmos one and the per-receiver review/owner threads, but I didn't see any straight up comparison discussion.

Experiences? Thoughts? Guesses?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Onkyo is the best choice, if you dont want to buy extra amps! Then the 7200 denon, and a extra 2 ch. amp...

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Of those mentioned here, only Denon 7200 ticks off all the boxes :)

Reactions: kingwiggi

·
Registered
542 Posts
Currently it doesn't tick the HDCP 2.2 box. Not to say that is a bad thing. I personally think we may have a while to wait for some real encrypted 4K material worth watching for the masses (meaning TV broadcast). Oh and it doesn't tick the 7.2.4 box unless you add in the cost of a receiver.

Of those mentioned here, only Denon 7200 ticks off all the boxes :)

·
Premium Member
90,432 Posts
Currently it doesn't tick the HDCP 2.2 box. Not to say that is a bad thing. I personally think we may have a while to wait for some real encrypted 4K material worth watching for the masses (meaning TV broadcast). Oh and it doesn't tick the 7.2.4 box unless you add in the cost of a receiver.
Not as yet .... but should by June. :) Also, a 2CH amp for 2 of the "height" speakers can be had for about $120 (or nothing if you have an old AVR you can use).

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

·
Registered
542 Posts
100 percent agree. I was addressing the OP's first sentence, which was " in production". The Denon AVR X7200W is a great $3000 receiver. I wouldn't buy one now and have to pay the shipping "to" the repair shop for the hardware upgrade. If I was to buy the Denon, I would wait until the upgraded model releases in the summer. I realize that some may need to upgrade now and can't wait until summer and some may not want to spend $3000 on a receiver.

OP I would have also included the Onkyo TX-1030 (needs dual channel amp).

Not as yet .... but should by June. :) Also, a 2CH amp for 2 of the "height" speakers can be had for about $120 (or nothing if you have an old AVR you can use).

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everybody, this is helpful. I'm hoping the April 9th announcement and lifting of the manufacturer embargoes brings clarity.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
If I were to drop that kind of change on a top end receiver, I would wait and see what will available with the 2015 lineup. At a minimum, not much will change and the 2014 models will be on clearance. But, most likely HDCP 2.2 at 18gbps will be available on all high end 2015 units.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
If I were to drop that kind of change on a top end receiver, I would wait and see what will available with the 2015 lineup. At a minimum, not much will change and the 2014 models will be on clearance. But, most likely HDCP 2.2 at 18gbps will be available on all high end 2015 units.
Exactly. Most of us are waiting for these two reasons DTS:X (mainly) and HDMI/HDCP crap.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Can we get a 7.2.4 update

Now that CEDIA is over, does anyone have the list of the A/V receivers that can (or will soon) do Atmos 7.2.4 w/o external amps?
TIA

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Auro upmix for music is sounding very good however the usual atmos receivers you listed won't do Auro since the speakers would be in the wrong places...

For movies, Auro isn't heavily supported so it may be a non-issue.

I will bet that dolby will eventually improve their 2 channel upmix algorithm and Auro will be a non-issue.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Now that CEDIA is over, does anyone have the list of the A/V receivers that can (or will soon) do Atmos 7.2.4 w/o external amps?
TIA
I wanted to go that route with all in one device, but it required waiting and waiting.. it will take some time until we get there..
if it's about the space, then i really don't care, that amp sits in a set without bothering anyone; if it's about the price then it will probably be the same you spend on rec+ some good amp..

·
Registered
230 Posts
I wanted to go that route with all in one device, but it required waiting and waiting.. it will take some time until we get there..
I can wait; I am planning on buying after the first of the year. So I want to know what to watch out for. The extra amp is aesthetically displeasing even if I have space. Probably increases the total heat generation too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So is the consensus to wait on 7.2.4 until the rest of the formats are released and we have a clear winner?

I'm moving into a newly construed house with 7.2.4 pre-wired and since it looks like I will be waiting, what's a good 7.2 to get me by until then?

Thanks,
Josh

1 - 20 of 50 Posts