AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Network Solutions is raping me on costs...Almost $90 for a simple website, e-mail and domain.

Whose a reputable service to use, and how painful is the transfer process....One reason I've stayed with NS as long as I have, is to avoid losing e-mail privileges. I cannot afford one day without e-mail for my business or can I afford to lose any in the transfer process.

Robert

·
Registered
438 Posts
The transfer process is painful if your old company sucks. I had an old web site on a web hosting company that registered the hostname for me through a bulk registar. The bulk registar denied my transfer request - "because of domain slamming". I went back and forth between the bulk registar and the hosting company and never made any progress. I learned my lesson I registered my own hostname with a registar that lets me make changes and used a completely seperate hosting company.

I'm now with directnic.com for the domain name and I have been very happy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Who's hosting your website and e-mail right now? If your e-mail through NS? I just recently transferred a domain out of NS. They were providing e-mail but web services were hosted elsewhere. If you can give me a better understanding of what you have going I can give you the steps necessary to make the smoothest transition.

Other domain registrars:

Yahoo

HostMySite.com

Register.com

GoDaddy.com

I have only used the first two and have been fine with them.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NS has it all right now.

Robert

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just moved a site from NS to hostmysite.com. They have pretty good plans. Service has been very good and uptime has not been an issue. Anyways, here's the process:

Get a new hosting plan.

Get a copy of your website and upload it to that new hosting plan. Your website now exists in two places. When everything is configured and ready to go on your new hosting plan then go back to NetSol and reconfigure the DNS there. Your new hosting plan should have given you new name servers (NS) to use for your domain. Change the DNS at NetSol to point at those new NS's instead of NetSol's NS's. Test. Then initiate the domain transfer.

Basically what you are doing is having your website exist in two places to prevent downtime. E-mail as well. Your new host will enter your domain name in their NS's and route traffic for your domain to your server as long as the traffic gets to their NS. Currently the Internet is routing your domain to NetSol. So, you're telling NetSol to route your domain to your new host's NS instead of the NetSol server with your website. No downtime.

How to test. Two ways, use DNSStuff.com to see when your DNS change has propogated. They say it takes 72 hours but NetSol is a major provider. It took less than 12 for my change. DNSStuff should show a new NS resolving your domain. Second, you can put a page on your new site and request it. If you don't get it then NetSol is hosting but if you do get it then the new host is serving it up. There are a lot more ways to test but these are pretty easy to try.

You can always run that by a tech at the new hosting service to confirm the plan. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks....Sounds like a plan ;)

Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.