AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am most interest in the line double than actual scaling.

I have seen 3 choices in a similar price range in the Iscan Ultra, Videon and Lumagen.

Any discussion on the pro and cons. I still spend most of my time watching sports on D*. Will these make the image smoother less artifacts?

Your input is appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the Lumagen Vision. I went back and forth between that and the Iscan Ultra. The capabilities of the Vision to tweak EVERYTHING ended up winning me over. I don't really need a scaler either but I figured having it didn't hurt but the Vision can tweak scan rates, output size, input size, scale to virtually any amount and they have made it software upgradable. Recently they started putting out patches and enhancements (like a fix for the Chroma upsample bug and ICP bug (the Ultra does have this as well)).

The Iscan Ultra is a GREAT box with more inputs and is excellent as well. I just figured for $150 more I could tweak to my hearts content AND get scaling.

As far as the Visions output quality I have been pleased. I occassionally see a little jerkyness on rapid pans with lots of data in the picture. I am not sure if the Vision is to blame or my TV. I have also seen it on my HD tuner doing pass through on the Vision but I'm not sure if that is a pure passthrough or the Vision is touching it at all. It may be my TV in HD mode. As far as scaling inputs it works fine but I don't really see any big advantage to taking at 480i and doing much more than 480p or 540p. 1080i works but doesn't seem to gain anything picture quality wise. In fact it may hurt it a bit. If I ever go to a projector though I know I have a box that can scale to the rate of the projector.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Iscan or the Lumagen. The Videon wasn't on my list but I don't remember why.

--Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.