It's hard to single out just one - I like the Steely Dan releases -

Gaucho

Two Against Nature

Everything Must Go

These are all good - take your pick.

DE

· Registered
1,708 Posts
Call me crazy, but I like Linkin Park Reanimator.

Tons of bass, the type of music it is allows for alot of surround speaker play without sounding cheesy, and good quality sound.

While I know there are better sounding recordings out there, you asked for a show off disc, and this is one of my favorites for this reason.

· Registered
2,159 Posts
I'm not personally a big fan of her music, but Faith Hill's "Cry" sounds really good.

I agree that the Steely Dan releases are very good.

The one that really knocks me out is Frank Sinatra "Live at The Sands". For a 30-year old recording, it's amazing. It puts you right in the room.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
the Eagles Hotel California has 192 kHz for the 2 channel tracks & it sounds pretty good.

There are a few others that also have a 192 kHz 2 channel that I can't think of off the top of my head

· Registered
244 Posts
Another vote for PT here. And Yes' Fragile still sounds very good too.

Although never a fan before, REM hits soud great on Dvd-A.

M

· Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan420

the Eagles Hotel California has 192 kHz for the 2 channel tracks & it sounds pretty good.

There are a few others that also have a 192 kHz 2 channel that I can't think of off the top of my head
Hotel California is terrific. The Captain and Me by The Doobie Brothers is also an excellent 192/24/2 disc. I Robot and Chicago II are also 192/24/2 and highly recommended.

Enjoy!

· Registered
1,100 Posts
Eric Clapton and BB King's album Riding with the King is a really good sounding one, as is In Time: The Best of R.E.M. Also Blue Man Group's Audio. If you just want to show off the surround effect and don't care that it's crappy music, Britney Spears' In the Zone is a pretty impressive mix.

· Registered
2,265 Posts
I have heard (or own) most of the above DVD-A's. My most amazing title is The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi battles the Pink Robots. It's my second best MC surround mix, behind DSOTM.

· Registered
2,355 Posts
Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road gets my thumbs up.....I dont buy DVD-A's just for the mixing but I have to enjoy the music as well.

GBYBR fills the bill on both ends.:D

· Registered
91 Posts
I just picked up a Tom Cochrane (Red Rider) hits CD (for those of you in the States that don't know who that is.....well, I feel bad for you).

I thought it did a really good job of mixing in the surrounds without either sounding cheesy by overdoing the rears, or just making it sound like a big hall. It was nicely mixed combined with great music.

In overall sonics, I'd still have to go with the Steely Dan, but that holds true in 2 channel audio as well.

· Registered
1,796 Posts
Winelight by Grover Washington - smooth jazz, but really good, and incredible sonics

Steely Dan (3 of them) - jazz/rock

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band (2 of them) - big band jazz at its best, fantastic surround effects

Hotel California by the Eagles - rock

· Registered
89 Posts
*unlurks*

Linkin Park's REANIMATION is definitely a demo disc. I use it to show off my system to my friends. Metallica's Black Album also is very good.

Still waiting for the John Williams Greatest Soundtrack Super Duper Collection DVD-A(or SA-CD)

· Registered
603 Posts
Another vote for linkin park.

This is a great show off disk, especially if you have someone come over who's not an "AVS" guy and you want to show him why your room is overflowing with speakers. Sit in the sweet spot and crank this disk up and you are engulfed in sound from every direction. Real good use of surrounds - not cheesy like some disks where there is a violin coming from the right rear for no reason.

· Registered
33 Posts
After reading this thread I ran out to Best Buy. Their selection is weak to say the least. I did find Porcupine Tree's in Absentia. Awesome sound!!! I also found the Eric Clapton and BB King Riding with the King but have not listened to it. Okay, where does everyone get their DVD audios? Looks as if my local Best Buy is not going to have the all ones I want. There are several Audio DVDs people have mentioned in this thread that I want to get.

· Registered
244 Posts
Try dvdempire.com , cduniverse.com, dvdpacific.com and if they hadn't got crap service dvdplanet.com used to have a good selection too.

M

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.