AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a forum search but couldn't formulate my search to get a good answer, so here goes my question:

What DVD has, in your opinion, the one extra feature that gives the best, most educational description of how sound is mixed for a theatrical presentation? I know that there are DVDs out there with mixing programs on them (running in Windows) that are little interactive games, but I'm looking for something that can be watched on any DVD player in a few minutes, with nice visuals that gets the idea across as to what is going on. Parts of a documentary also are fine (that is, you know of a good section on sound design that is embedded within a "making of" documentary).

Thanks for any help!

SCD

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Two where I've really enjoyed the sound design features are Monsters Inc. and the two disc version of The Kids Are Alright. Monsters Inc. has a nice sound effects-only track in addition to some other sound features. The second disc of The Kids Are Alright has a documentary on the restoration of the sound of the original mono movie, and how it was then mixed to 5.1.

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,682 Posts
I seem to recall a good documentary on sound on the "Twister" DVD, but I can't be sure from the description on Amazon.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I like Walter Murch's explanation on his sound design techniques on the THX-1138 SE DVD.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have very fond memories of watching the documentary on Ben Burtt's soundwork for the original Star Wars trilogy on the Definitive Edition LD box set. I think some if not most of this was also included on the DVD box set documentary. The greatest revelation for me was how the light saber sound was created, partly by accident, as it were.

There is also a very nice feature on the Extended Edition DVD of The Two Towers where you can listen to the different layers of sound effects, music, dialog etc of a part of the Helm's Deep battle.

Mitch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.