AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with experience on either of these units on a 42 ED Panny? The RP91 is $30 cheaper. Any reason not to go for it?

p.s. I posted this question in the DVD player forum but that forum doesn't seem to be as responsive as this one.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the RP-91 but I am using it with a FP CRT. In my opinion, the RP-91 is an outstanding DVD player if you use it in interlaced mode. If you want to use the progressive output, I think there are better, newer alternatives. For progressive output, I would lean toward a DVD player with a better deinterlacer, such as with a Faroudja chip. I don't know how well the 42 ED Panny deinterlacer compares to Faroudja based deinterlacing.

Rich

·
Registered
15,369 Posts
I have the RP-91.

For overall picture quality it's hard to beat. It's video DAC is among the very best out there. It's Genesis de-interlacing chip, however, is bettered by chips from Faroujda (which I think the Denon might have). But keep in mind that the Faroujda is mostly superior for video based sources (like concert DVDs). The RP-91 handles film-based de-interlacing fine, so if you are mostly watching movies on DVD it's great for those.

Also, the RP-91 offers amazingly detailed user controls to dial in just the type of image you like, which is becoming a rarer feature these days, especially in the Panasonic brand. I don't know what kind of user picture controls are offered in the Denon.

The RP-91 and the Panny is a sure-fire killer combo (I know since I have that combo). I've never tried the Denon, though. (Denon on the whole has a reputation for a softer, film-like image, the RP-91 for a crisper, sharper image).

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rich, you've also got the ED Panny, right? Based on pictures of your movies, I'll probably go for th RP91 with s-video connection (although I'll probably try composite just to see how it compares).

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Have the Rp 91 hooked up to the Panny ED 6uy. Also have the Panny xp30. And have ordered the denon 1600. But the XP30 and the denon are supposed to share the same video innards.(RP91 belongs to another of my systems and reason I wanted the denon was for dvd-a - if it works and is as good as the xp30 - will be selling the Panny xp30)

Anyways...Comparing these two is almost like comparing the denon and rp91(except in audio). IMHO - the RP91 has a slightly (and I do mean ever so slightly better PQ). It has a number of features to watch 4:3 material - which I do not do that often - but when you do it is nice. I have had this unit for about 18 months and have it hooked up to several systems(upgraditis and mutliple setups!) and have really enjoyed it. ALso plays DVD-A. I do not believe in this price range you could go wrong with this unit.

The xp30 also has an excellent image and has the genesis chip set. Does not have as many features as the RP91 - but does not have any combing issues. It's one of those things that when you see it - you see it everytime, until you do you do not know it's there! That would be my only "gripe" about the RP91, but it is so infrequesnt as to be a non-issue for me. In A/B testing (on component to the Panny 6UY). I was the only one of my friends and family that could tell the difference. BTW - They both setup the same way with calibration - but that's another topic:)

I have a couple of minor gripes with the XP30 - I do miss DVD/A as I have a couple of my favourite tracks that way and want to play them on the game room system (family room had the rp91) and so I want that feature which is not on the XP30. It is also silver and my equipment is black. (Told you they were minor gripes!)Although it is a cool looking unit - and there is an annoying blue display that I cannot seem to dim. Hence, I ordered the denon 1600 to get DVD A, same chip set as xp30 , is black and hopefully the capability to dim the display.

It's a toss - up. Both have excellent PQ, denon has "better" video chip set, Panny 91 has better features. Both play DVD-A, cannot comment on the aduio qaulity of the denon (which is reported to be excellent) but the Panny RP91 also has excellent audio,. One of the reasons I want more DVD A! The denon 1600 is a bit newer and that may factor in, as well as I believe the warranty on the denon is longer.

Hey - I wish I could justify keeping all 3 DVD players! But probably will end up with the denon and of course my trusty RP91.

Therese

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Almost every person who has compared the denon 1600 to the RP91 has the same comment - the RP91 is ever so slightly better pq. Interesting, and compelling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.