AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know what are some of the best brands and types of DVDs on which I can record TV programs. I'm looking for media that gives pretty good quality without costing a fortune.

Thanks,

Jhon

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
The "name brands" found at retail stores are no longer of the best quality.

Taiyo Yuden Premium Line 8x DVD-R discs are the the best I've used. So far I've burned and archived around 1,300 TY discs on my Panasonic, Philips and Magnavox recorders. There have been no problems with these discs when they are handled correctly. TY discs may be found here:

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo...-100-pack.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Taiyo Yuden, definitely . They have the best image after a burn across the board with all manufactures of dvd burner. The real hardcore 'freaks' have run tests to verify this, and TYs win. Some like to match the best dvd make with the make of the burner. A director I work with loves verbatim DL and I will never sway him from that. He burns dvds on his mac notebook.

Makes me wonder which dvds will last the longest, archived away. Tho if they should last at least 20yrs before we have to move them to the next great format.

The new inkjet printable from TY, the AquaGuard is the MATTE finish and WaterShield is the GLOSSY surface. The best just get better.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
"Costs a fortune" is relative: people have real short memories about how expensive VHS tapes are compared to even premium DVD-Rs (the cheapest decent T120s still cost about $1.79 each). There is really nothing left in USA retail stores that could be called "quality media", except perhaps Verbatim, and thats only if you intend to burn them on a PC or a brand new Panasonic DVD recorder. If you have any other brand of recorder, especially more than a year old, skip "bargain" retail 16x media and get in the habit of ordering premium 8x media online. We are very very lucky to still have two brands available in 8x: TY and Verbatim DataLife. The TY usually runs about $36/100 delivered, sometimes less if on sale. The Verbatim DataLife is a bit harder to find and can run as high as $50/100 delivered.

These two 8x media are in a different league from the discs you see on sale at Staples or Best Buy every weekend for $15-25/100. They cost more, but you never EVER get a coaster, they burn well in any DVD recorder or burner no matter how old, and the quality of the burns varies from a little better to much better than what you can achieve with store-bought 16x bargain media. The Verbatim 8x uses metal azo dyes that are about as archival as you can get, the TY uses a more organic dye infused with exclusive stabilizing agents that make it nearly as archival. A few years ago, some hardware burned one better than the other, but today its a wash. Some people make a hobby of running burn quality tests on their PCs, those tests sometimes show a higher error rate with the TY but this is questionable due to accuracy issues with consumer-level testing materials and software. Certainly no one has yet complained of a TY disc "going bad", so I wouldn't hesitate to use TY or Verbatim interchangeably.

Retail 16x media is not so much "bad" as it is inflexible: it often relies too heavily on having the latest up-to-date burning hardware and firmware. Since updates are usually not possible with standalone recorders or laptop drives, you avoid potential problems by opting for 8x. And as drives age, they suck in dust and fingerprint oil which slowly compromises their ability to make good 16x burns: its mechanically easier for a drive to burn the 8x.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonNYC /forum/post/16981854

I would like to know what are some of the best brands and types of DVDs on which I can record TV programs. I'm looking for media that gives pretty good quality without costing a fortune.

Thanks,

Jhon

If you have a fairly new DVD recorder, I recommend Verbatim 16x. They are readily available at Office Max, Best Buys, etc., and often go on sale for as low as $19.99 for 100. I have used mostly Verbatim -Rs, also +R DLs. I have burnt probably close to 2,000 of them so far, with only one coaster. But, they don't work on some older recorders.

Everyone raves about Taiyo Yuden, and I won't dispute that they are the best, but they do cost more, I can't just go pick them up, so I haven't tried them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, thanks for the feedback. I will check them out. This is a brand new recorder and my goal is to save my stuff on a reliable media being aware that in the future they will have to be migrated to new formats, but I want to be able to keep moving them to new format rather than re-assemble my existing collection. By a fortune, I meant something that will cost at least $3 or $4 each.

Jhon

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I think only DVD-RAM disks cost around that much.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 /forum/post/16987543

When I was at Fry's a few weeks ago a 5-pack of Panasonic RAM discs was $7.99. These are reusable thousands of times though, unlike a DVD-R disc.

Over here on the east coast B&H has a 5 pack DVD RAM for $8.50. They were expensive.

Jhon, just please don't get suckered by the 'archival' gold disks, they used to be the best for archival, but not anymore. So much for that 100 year promise, right. One videographer and I had an argument about those. He'll happily charge his customers extra for gold disks, because he has to pay more for them too (so they must be good, huh?) He also thinks miniDV will last longer on the shelf than my already 12 year old DVD burns.

Oh and watch out for cheaper TY fakes too...

·
Registered
862 Posts
I agree about Taiyo Yuden, and check for something when you go to a web site to buy them. With Taiyo Yuden you will see "Value" Line and "Premium" Line...obviously go with Premium. The only other brand I would also recommend is Verbatim as they have been pretty consistently good in the bunches that I have purchased over the years. Sometimes I will price check and whoever has a cheaper price between the two brands I will pick up those.

My three favorite places to buy media online:

http://www.meritline.com/
http://www.rima.com/
http://www.supermediastore.com/

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/17016533

Today only 600 Taiyo Yuden Premium Line 8x DVD-R discs for $149.00 with free shipping:

It's the next day, and the "One Day Only. While Supplies Last." special is STILL going on. The reason for the 600 disk special is, they come in cases consisting of six 100 disk cakeboxes. They just slap a shipping label on the cardboard box and send it off.

I agree, this is likely the absolute best media you can get today, without spending many times as much. Even with TAX in California, it's 26.88 cents per disk, for this quality. Why would anyone buy "bargain" disks?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/17022138

It's the next day, and the "One Day Only. While Supplies Last." special is STILL going on. The reason for the 600 disk special is, they come in cases consisting of six 100 disk cakeboxes. They just slap a shipping label on the cardboard box and send it off.

I agree, this is likely the absolute best media you can get today, without spending many times as much. Even with TAX in California, it's 26.88 cents per disk, for this quality. Why would anyone buy "bargain" disks?

These Premium Line discs are a good buy. Yesterday I ordered another box of Premium Line discs.

These pictures show the TY Premium Line and Value Line shipping boxes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/16981918

The "name brands" found at retail stores are no longer of the best quality.

Taiyo Yuden Premium Line 8x DVD-R discs are the the best I've used. So far I've burned and archived around 1,300 TY discs on my Panasonic, Philips and Magnavox recorders. There have been no problems with these discs when they are handled correctly. TY discs may be found here:

OK. I will get them. At this point I'm not planning to do a lot of recording unless I can use them for music ( CDs ) archival as well. So, what do you guys recommend for Labeling and Storing them in Cases?

Thanks again,

Jhon

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonNYC /forum/post/17027052

So, what do you guys recommend for Labeling and Storing them in Cases?

Thanks again,

Jhon

Use a Sharpie Fine Point or similar alcohol based felt tip pen to label discs. Do not use a ball point pen or affix adhesive labels to DVDs.

I store my home-recorded DVDs in "wallets," that I refer to as albums:

http://www.shop4tech.com/z/CD_DVD_Wallets/1_97_284/

My current "albums," the Targus EDP025US Matrix Storage case, were priced around $32.00 for two (including shipping). Each of these Targus albums holds 320 discs.

The attached photo shows my archive of around 5,000 home-recorded DVDs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/17027192

Use a Sharpie Fine Point or similar alcohol based felt tip pen to label discs. Do not use a ball point pen or affix adhesive labels to DVDs.

My current "albums," the Targus EDP025US Matrix Storage case, were priced around $32.00 for two (including shipping). Each of these Targus albums hold 320 discs.

The attached photo shows my DVD archive of around 5,000 home-recorded DVDs.

Hey, thanks. A sharpie is what I currently use. You have a pretty large collection.

Jhon

·
Registered
3,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/17027192

My current "albums," the Targus EDP025US Matrix Storage case, were priced around $32.00 for two (including shipping). Each of these Targus albums holds 320 discs.

The attached photo shows my archive of around 5,000 home-recorded DVDs.

How are the zippers on these cases? Every storage case I've looked at, the zipper strip (for want of a better term-the piece that the zipper is sewn to the case) doesn't come all the way to the end of the spine. Dust can easily get inside. I've been keeping burned discs in spindles, and while it's nice for stacking, as well as keeping dust out, it can be a pain searching for a disc you may want to watch.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C /forum/post/17027688

How are the zippers on these cases? Every storage case I've looked at, the zipper strip (for want of a better term-the piece that the zipper is sewn to the case) doesn't come all the way to the end of the spine. Dust can easily get inside. I've been keeping burned discs in spindles, and while it's nice for stacking, as well as keeping dust out, it can be a pain searching for a disc you may want to watch.

Here is the Targus case zipper closure. Notice that there is enough slack to slip a finger inside with the zipper near the end of its travel.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts