AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking to replace my current Sony progressive scan 5 DVD player with a larger multidisk changer. I've read some old threads but most of those models seem unavailable now.

What is your opinion on the best multichanger currently available? I want 300+ capability.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Hi Beth,

I have Pioneer DV-F727 300 + 1 and it's been a great box, but it is 480i-only.

So I am getting Sony DVP-CX777ES 400 DVD/SACD.

Another model is Sony DVP-CX985V, also 400 DVD and progressive, almost half the price of 777.

Best.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read that all of the Sony's have the autostart feature which could become quite annoying. Are there any that don't have that?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
there are ways to make it just to load last played disk and not to play it.

It is not a showstopper for me.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do the DCP-M555ES and DCP-M333ES compare with the DVP-CX777ES and DVP-CX985V?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Sorry, I am not familiar with those models.

They are not megachangers I suppose.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those I listed are megachangers 400disc ES series per sony style.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Beth,

Went to sonystyle and didn't find neither DCP-M555ES nor DCP-M333ES . Googled them and nothing was found.

Parallel universe phenomenon?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm not sure which universe you are in but hopefully it has better prices. :)

I did a search for the model number just now and it came right up.

Go to Audio and Video then ES showcase. Click on Shop ES and scroll down to Multi-CD changers and click and you'll find both.

I don't know much about "ES" and those are the only 2 I even know sony sold until I read more here. They are $600 and $700 but I don't know enough about them to know how good a value they are which is why I ask here. :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well geesh, I must be brain dead because those aren't DVD (as I just realized) those are CD. So I must have been looking at 2 other models the first time I found them on Sony. I just found those and thought those were the 2 I had checked on.

And the reason you didn't find them is they are listed as "CDP" not "DCP". :eek:

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Beth,

Are they CD changers? I thought we were talking about DVD changers.

"ES" is a Sony's way of saying that those units are higher quality and covered by 5 years parts/labor warranty.

I wouldn't pay more than $150 for "any" CD changer those days.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I'm back to the DVP-CX777ES and DVP-CX985V. Are there any better models out there? Cost is not my primary concern though it is on the list.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Beth,

Once again, in my universe there are 3 Sony DVD megachangers only:

DVP-CX785V 300 DVD changer

DVP-CX985V 400 DVD changer

DVP-CX777ES 400 DVD changer.

There is Kenwood changer and above mentioned Pioneer F727.

Sorry, my universe doesn't seem to have as many choices as yours :)

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
There isn't any better megachanger in the world than Sony DVP-CX777ES.

That's why I've decided to get it.

DVP-CX985V is probably the second, but I'll keep my Pioneer F727 for now.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL, my universe obviously gets very mixed up at times. I appreciate your help and recommendation and I'll most likely get the CX777ES.

I'm considering a cheaper changer for my son's Disney collection and the Pioneer sounds like a good match. I'll look for info on the kenwood as well.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Yamaha makes only 5 DVD changers. OK, maybe 7 or 10.

But not multichangers.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Kenwood Sovereign DV-5900M

Quote:
Kenwood's unique three-disc Rental Zone™, patented Faroudja video processing, progressive scan video output, and DVD-Audio capability with internal Bass Management give this world's first "400 + 3" DVD mega-changer an enormous performance advantage. The Rental Zone, complete with separate Play and Eject controls for each disc, allows easy insertion and removal of up to three discs without disturbing the permanently-housed collection. An array of patented video processing circuits developed by world-famous Faroudja removes jagged "staircase" effects that can degrade picture quality while enhancing subtle details and colors for near film-like quality. Playback capability includes DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and MP-3 encoded CD-Rs and –RWs. Built-in Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, PC Link NetNamer automatic disc titling, RS-232 interface, dual side play, and daisy-chain capability (up to 3 can be linked), and an infrared keyboard merely hint at this player's potential.
It can internet access via PC with automatic search for titles, but I think this function only works for CDs. Great way to save time on typing track names. It all sounds to good to be true. I heard it has some bugs, you might want to do more research: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...02#post3253402 It has DVD-Audio not no SACD.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...roductLineId=2

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/content/pr...e/dv-5900m.jpg

The next model down is the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5050M, without the Faroudja DCDiâ„¢ deinterlacer and DVD-Audio.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...roductLineId=2

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.