AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a lot of reading on video and audio quality for DVD playback and I have to admit, I am confused!

I (like everyone else on this forum) am looking for the best possible video and audio output from my HTPC for DVD playback. I've got good hardware (ATI Radeon 7500 & M-Audio Delta Dio 24/96 sound card). So far I have only been using PowerDVD XP 4.0. According to what i've read, it doesn't seem to be the player of choice.

My understanding is that the best video and audio won't come from 1 player, but rather by using Zoom Player configured to use Video filters from one player while using audio from another, true?

If so, what is the "best" combination and how do you install everything (installation order)? Sorry if this topic has been discussed to death... I'm just trying to optimize my system.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Jeff:

I am by no means an HTPC expert (rather a struggling newbie), but I have the TheaterTek player installed on my HTPC (with a Radeon 7500 video card running through an Extron RGBHV switcher to a Sony G90 and a Delta Dio 410 sound card outputting S/PDIF to a Lexicon MC-12B) and find the performance to be excellent both soncially and visually. I have tried playing with the PowerDVD player that is also installed, but it's not as transparent as the TheaterTek player, and I get a few more hiccups/stutters with it.

I defer to others on the specific install steps--I cheated and bought my HTPC preconfigured.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Zoomplayer is nice if you have a handful of other software players and codecs to choose from. If you're starting from scratch, get the TheaterTek player. It'll be perfect for the hardware you mentioned.

I use TheaterTek for all my DVD's, and PowerDVD for the occasional rip, VCD or SVCD.

Robert

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Jeff, I'm using zoomplayer with video from the ati dvd player in the MMC 7.6 release and audio from powerdvd xp 4.0. Picture is very nice, and dd 5.1 and dts work perfectly with no audio sync problems.

My installation order:

powerdvd xp 4.0

dvd player from ati mmc 7.6

zoomplayer 2.6

change "maudio.dll" to "quartz.dll" in the supplied graph in one of the subdirectories under zoomplayer, register the filters in zoomplayer, and away you go.

I can provide more details later if you need them. I'm running Win98se, btw...some people have had audio sync problems using this combination under 2000 or XP.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

change "maudio.dll" to "quartz.dll" in the supplied graph in one of the subdirectories under zoomplayer, register the filters in zoomplayer, and away you go.
Thanks. I tried the same setup last night, but couldn't get audio working properly (no DD or DTS). I didn't try the change of "maudio.dll" to "quart.dll"... can you explain ?

I am running under XP Pro, so it sounds like i may have some audio problems, huh? I am thinking of just biting the bullet and buying theatertek as others have recommended...

Jeff

·
Registered
51 Posts
hey amillians

can you provide the model # for the Extron RGBHV switcher, i have a mit 65" i use a RGBHV cable to connect directly to the tv, is it better to use the switcher? what is a switer?

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DCypher

Thanks. I tried the same setup last night, but couldn't get audio working properly (no DD or DTS). I didn't try the change of "maudio.dll" to "quartz.dll"... can you explain ?

I am running under XP Pro, so it sounds like i may have some audio problems, huh? I am thinking of just biting the bullet and buying theatertek as others have recommended...

Jeff
I should have also mentioned that I have an Audiophile 24/96 sound card in my previous post. In the filter graph for using Raviscent video (ATI DVD video filter) and PowerDVD XP audio, it was looking for a file from my audiophile installation called "ma_delta.dll" that is no longer included with the win98 drivers. Changing the file to "quartz.dll" solved the problem, and I was then able to register the filters. This won't apply if you don't have an MAudio soundcard.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
jasonwyz98:

You only need a switcher if you have "too many" sources for your display--for example, you have 2 RGBHV sources and only 1 RGBHV input on your TV/projector. It doesn't sound like you need one.

I'm using a front projector that only has 1 RGBHV input, and right now, I have 2 RGBHV sources (a Mike Parker modified Radeon 7500 card that outputs RGBHV via 5 BNCs and a HiPix card that I use a VGA-to-RGBHV breakout cable with). Soon, I'll have 3, possibly 4, so the switcher is what allows me to change sources without having to swap out cables.

If you *do* need a switcher, Extron has a great selection of models and is "the best".

On the other hand, you might benefit from a computer interface box--they help boost the weak VGA signal from an HTPC to support longer RGBHV cable runs to a projector. They can make a big difference, but they too are expensive.

Extron Switchers: http://www.extron.com/product/listbytype.asp?subtype=6

Extron Interfaces: http://www.extron.com/product/listbytype.asp?subtype=1

Sample Extron List Prices: http://www.ritzav.com/Online_Store/E...on%20Index.htm

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DRS
Mark,

I tried to follow your instructions--can you please clarify? Thanks.
Not a problem... :)

First, I'm running this under Win98se with an audiophile 24/96 card running the audio drivers that Cliff recommends at digitalconnection.

I installed powerdvd xp 4.0 (for the audio filter).

I installed ati mmc 7.6 (for the video filter from the dvd player).

I installed zoomplayer 2.6.

In the DVDGRAPH subdirectory under the directory where you installed zoomplayer, find the file called "CinePlayer v4 with PowerDVD v4 audio for M-Audio SPDIF not for WIN2K or XP.dvdgraph". Pull this file up in notepad, or some other text editor. Change the 3rd line of the file from:

DefineFilter(MA_DELTA.DLL)

to

DefineFilter(QUARTZ.DLL)

Save the file. Then, make the following registry edit:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\CyberLink\\PowerDVD]

"DSAUIF"=dword:00000002

to

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\CyberLink\\PowerDVD]

"DSAUIF"=dword:00000004

This will enable spdif output from powerdvd xp.

Then, start zoomplayer. Click on the options button (bottom one on the right side of the screen) or right click in the video area and select options from the menu. Select DVD from the list on the left side of the options window, and the DVD Setup tab. Uncheck the Use System Default box if it is checked, and then scroll down the list until you get to the:

CinePlayer v4 with PowerDVD v4 audio for M-Audio SPDIF not for WIN2K or XP

line. Select the line, and then click on the Register Filters button. A box pops up saying the it will search your system for the filter files. Click on OK, and if everything is set up correctly, another box will then pop up saying that the filters were successfully registered.

After that, you should be good to go. DD 5.1 and DTS should both work. If they don't, make sure that you have set the options in the maudio control panel correctly - there are a few threads on here about what to set that you should be able to find easily with a search.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Got it now, thanks! My whole confusion was I was looking for maudio.dll not ma_delta.dll -- I almost changed the entry but, well, you know. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Whoops...sorry about the confusion there, DRS. I've gone back and edited the first message.

Jeff, I don't know why it won't work for 2000 or XP - I'm pretty sure I remember threads talking about it, though, so try searching.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.