AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new DVD player. My collection of DVD movies is getting a bit old and a bit scratched up. So I need a player which plays most (all will be even better) damaged DVDs without freezing or other artifacts. My price rang is below $400. I have heard a lot of good talk about Apex machines ability to play damaged DVD but not sure about their quality of the video output.

I am not partial to any brand just looking for a unit which is most forgiving to all kind of damage to DVD disks. Best Regarrds.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you put the disc back in the case after the movie is over and be gentle with them, they won't get scratched up. :D Ah just messing. Welcome to the Forum. I have an Apex AD 1100W and it does an awesome job playing badly scratched CDs. I got this one CD that's scratched to hell and back, but it plays pretty good with some minor blips. I just rented Fast and the Furious the other day. It had a few scratches here and there, but, played with no problem. My Apex DVD player has very good video quality, even though it's hooked up to an RF Modulator because our TV is a piece of crap. I'm sure the S VIDEO is even better.

Just a little note. Be sure to take very good care of your discs. If you do, they'll be free from scratches. I was at a relative's house one time and they had some of their DVDs out of their cases and sitting on the stand the TV sits on. I hadda fit too and immediatly put them back in their cases. Treat DVDs and CDs like they're vinyl. Be gentle with them, and they'll last a long time.

Good luck in the future in this forum. I'm sure we'll all get along great.

·
Registered
352 Posts
how in the heck do your dvd's get damaged?

use more care.

mark

·
Registered
737 Posts
Probably has kids who don't wash their hands and then handle the discs by the surface and not by the edges. AOL CDs are for playing frisbee with, not your DVDs. :D

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Try one of the disc repair kits like SkipDoctor. We use them at work all the time because our cd's and dvd's get scratched up. Makes them just like new. It's only about $29, $49 for the motorized one.

·
Registered
819 Posts
SkipDoctor works for scratches on the reflective side that are not very deep. I've tried it myself.

Philips 962SA has excellent error correction for both audio cds and DVDs. I've tested it with some really nasty discs that make Skyworths, Nintaus and Sony players jam or show blocky artifacts.

regards,

Halcy

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Careful with skipdoctor, I managed to destroy a DVD with it already and repaired another.

Be careful to turn it in the correct direction and make sure the thing is turning, or the disk is toast.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice. I just got the manual SkipDoctor. It has helped fixing the problem on a few DVDs but many still need a better player. I have an old Panasonic A310 which is not very kind to damaged DVD. I was wondering if Panny RP82 would be better at handling scratched DVDs since it does many other thing so well?

I appreciate the warm welcome I am receiving in this forum. You guys rock!

·
Registered
220 Posts
if you don't care about dts or progressive, and would like just about the best interlaced player made, see if you can find an original (now discontinued) sony s7000 on ebay or somewhere - it plays rental dvds that looks like they were used as frisbees or coasters without a hiccup!

(once even the s7000 met it's match - the time i received a broken-in-half DVD from NetFlix) ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like the DTS sound better than DD so this will not work for me. In DVD movies I always like to get the DTS sound if available.

Looks like the equipment manufacturers are not designing their DVD players to be more fault tolerant (handle damaged DVD better). Are they doing it because consumers (people like us) are not complaining about it, or they just want people to keep on buying new DVD disks and new DVD players?

Any comments?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How is everyone... :)

I have not heard any comments on my question above (in the last post).

I am sure you folks are out there.. ;)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yeah, we're out here. I never had any experience with Panasonic DVD players. As I said before, my Apex AD 1100w plays scratched discs pretty well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Based on recommendations in this forum and my personal good opinion of Panny products in general I bought the Panasonic RP-82 DVD player last night. This was the last unit in a pile of RP-62 and many other Panasonic units at local Fry's store. I bought ($229 + tax) it without trying it because they have a 30 day return policy.

I have tried many of my scratched DVDs on it and Panny has played them without a hitch. I still need to check a few more DVDs on it before I declare it a "Scratch hardened" DVD player. May be we should have this scratch hardness rating as a part of all future DVD player tests????

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Gotta go with Pioneer here as they tend to be VERY robust and reliable, in this regard. Check out one of their latest players, liike the DV-656a and you should have great success.

Since your price range is $200, you could actually afford to try out some of these players and keep the one that works best for you. The Panasonic, Pioneer, and Apex players mentioned can be found under $250 so you could take that $400 and find a player that works best for you.

Alternatively, you could take some of your worst DVDs to a store and play them on players in the store and see how they perform.

Good luck!

Peace.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
If we're talking greasy fingerprints rather than scratches, I have recovered a lot of skipping and jumping dvds by washing them in soap and water (regular hand soap) and then patting them dry with a soft towel. I have a 3 yo who doesn't hold the discs correctly but I've yet to have any unrecoverable damage (except from rentals).

C.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I usually hold the discs by the hole. Once I get it outta the case, the disc is around the tip of my finger. Then I put it in the tray of my DVD player, release it from my finger and TADA. When the movie is over, open the tray, stick my finger in the hole, get the case, release the disc back in the case, snap it back into place, close the case, put it away, and TADA. And I didn't even touch the surface.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.