AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What DVD player do you recommend for an ED plasma, specifically the Zenith (though the Panny is still in the running -- SO and I are going to make the final decision this weekend)?

Is DVI or HDMI really necessary? Or will I get good pq from any progressive scan player with s-video or component? I assume I don't want anything that upconverts, since my ED has 480 lines, just like the DVDs, right?

Right now BB online is offering a free Magnavox MRV660/17 player with purchase of the Zenith. Will this be adequate, or am I better off getting something else?

And just to get more complicated, the Magnavox is actually a DVR, so what happens when I record SD or HD programming? I assume the DVR records at 480 (interlaced or progressive I don't know), right? So is it the STB or the DVR that converts the cable signal to 480 for recording (up from SD, or down from HD)? And if it's the STB, what do I do if I want to use a cablecard?

Thanks for any input (no pun intended).

Heidi

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Heidi,

Last will be first:

If you go CableCard you will lose the ability to record any digi channels HD or not. The value of the STB is the in/out with multiple types. If you run cable directly to the set for CableCard use there is no option to split after connection. Only analog feed from the AV out on the set (Audio will record on Digi-HD channels but not the Video). But doing this will likely degrade even the analog signal and you would be better splitting the signal first then connecting to both the set w/CableCard and the recorder of whatever type. (I'm not sure if I have tried recording using the set pass through with simple digi channels in 480i---non HD. Will have to try that tonight.)

If you instead go STB then you can pass through component or other connection to the recorder and have Digi recording available as long as copy protection does not prohibit. HD quality recording is still getting its feet wet.

Even though I wanted and am using CableCard I may still get the STB from Comcast to see just how much of a greater choice of recording material there really is. Doing that though would likely entail removing the HDMI connection for the DVD player. Then the player could connect with component. Of course I could always use S-Vid/component out for the STB if available but the pure digital would most likely be best overall.

As to DVD player:

My Z shows phenomenal quality from 1080i feeds so I would suggest the Oppo OPDV971H ( http://www.oppodigital.com/ ). Kinda pricey when compared to others available with similar capabilities (MSRP $200 w/free cable) but it is worth it. I don't have it yet (on order) but have seen it in action with other quality EDs. Only negative is it is DVI so no straight HDMI connection but the Z has optical audio in/out as well as analog so this is no problem no matter what type of Home Theater setup you are running (Stereo or DD/DTS).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.