AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good DVD player for a HD plasma? So far Im considering Samsung hd-931, Denon 910, Panasonic xp-30, and Sony dvp-nc 665p for its 5 disc convenience and low price so I can replace easily in the future, btw I dont need any fancy features just decent audio and a good picture.

Any thoughts? TIA

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Forget the Sony it has a poor de-interlacer. The Panasonic XP30 or a Denon DVD-1600 or DVD-910 would be the best choice due it the superior Faroudja de-interlacer. The Samsung has some problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Thumperboy, I see in other posts you like the mitsubishi 8040 as well and I also read denon 910 has some issues, so I guess it will be either panasonic xp30 or mitsubishi 8040 which one would you pick, you seem to be an expert in the field and I trust your advice. I guess asking for a multi disc changer leaves me with little or no choices, that being said any decent ones out you recommend with a close picture quality as the one mentioned above? It seems one would be lucky to find a decent single disc for hd. Your insight and information is greatly appreciated.

Regards

·
23,030 Posts
Nasdbull,

If your plasma has DVI/HDCP or HDMI inputs, you may want to consider

"universal" (DVD, CD, DVD-A, SACD, etc) players with DVI/HDMI outputs.

They are more expensive but offer superb PQ and hi-res audio to boot.

Depends on your budget and setup. Later in the year less expensive

universal players with digital video outputs are coming also.

larry

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The Panasonic XP30 is the best choice I got one a few months ago used on EBAY for $200. The Denon DVD-910 is a little better than the Mitsubishi DD-8040 which I got and tested but took back to the store after I got the XP30 it beat them all! For changers, I've heard Yamaha makes some with the Faroudja de-interlacer, but I have no personal experience with them.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Nasdbull:

I agree with PooperScooper about DVI. I have a DLP and the DVI connection makes a very noticible improvement in PQ. However, I am still waiting for the equipment manufacturers to get their act together because even on the more expensive "universal" players, there are compromises being made in either video and/or hi-res audio that make them unsuitable for me. Not to mention that they are more expensive than they are worth. :D

My current solution is to use a Bravo D1 (the D2 is supposed to be out in Feb) with DVI output for video and a less-expensive universal player that I use for hi-res audio ONLY and, because the bass management seems to be mishandled in current players (especially for SACD), I don't use the DVD player's bass management but use an Outlaw ICBM for those duties.

But for video only (your original question), DVI is the way to go...

·
Registered
606 Posts
If one gets a dvd player with hdcp compliant dvi output and ones display dvi input is non hdcp compliant does that mean that no picture will be displayed ? Or does it depend on the dvd content ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
The Panasonic XP30 is the best choice I got one a few months ago used on EBAY for $200. The Denon DVD-910 is a little better than the Mitsubishi DD-8040 which I got and tested but took back to the store after I got the XP30 it beat them all! For changers, I've heard Yamaha makes some with the Faroudja de-interlacer, but I have no personal experience with them.
What would you say to the Denon DVM-1815 or 2815? From what I've read so far, they're supposed to be about like the DVD-910, and both are 5-disc changers. Secrets has positive things to say about it here:

www . hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=112#DenonDVM-2815

Not undercutting your advice Thumper, but looking for confirmation really, as I'm also considering a 5-disc changer and think I have it narrowed down to one of those two, depending on whether I'll end up using the DVD-Audio much or not :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
The Pioneer 563A has the so-called Chroma bug, so I wouldn't recommend that. It might be good for just audio though since it's an inexpensive universal that will play DVD-A and SACD.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I've read dozens of threads and hundreds of posts on the 563a and I have never heard anyone say it has the 'chroma bug'. I think this information is dead wrong. Beware what you hear on any forum and make sure you get more than one opinion.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I stand corrected. Pioneer has changed their decoder. It apparently doesn't have the chroma bug but it did fail the Chroma 4:2:0 test, which I assume is not a good thing but perhaps not as much of an issue.

Description of the Chroma bug and 4:2:0 error

It didn't rate all that well in the benchmark tests as compared to the Denon DVD-910 for example, which sports the Faroudja DCDi which is highly regarded. But, it is not a universal player that will do SACD and DVD-A and it costs about $70 or so more than the Pioneer.

Benchmark Results

Regardless, given the price I've been tempted to buy the 563 based on its ability to play the SACD and DVD-A audio formats but my first priority at this point is video quality. I've also read positive reviews for the Mitsubishi 8040. However, I have no personal experience with any of these machines and I'm researching at this point as well.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by outlier2
I've read dozens of threads and hundreds of posts on the 563a and I have never heard anyone say it has the 'chroma bug'. I think this information is dead wrong. Beware what you hear on any forum and make sure you get more than one opinion.
I second that in the sense that don't just read the posts and make the impression. I bought this player 2 weeks back and absolutely love it. No problems whatsoever at all. Perhaps older players did. New ones dont. In fact I reviwed this player as well sometime back and its in Gearviews. My recommendation is a strong yes for Pioneer 563A.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Also Pioneer is a much more reliable company that Sony for DVD players. The picture quality is a major improvement over the Panasonic and Sony models that I have seen.

·
Registered
15,675 Posts
You should also consider the new Samsung universal/upscaling players available now as pre-orders at incredible prices at Amazon.com, with estimated shipping dates in July).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.