Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.

I recently upgraded from my Screenplay 4800(X1) to a NEC LT240K. My dvd player, a Pioneer DVL-919 DVD/LD player, produced a decent S-Video image and a very good picture via component connection on the 4800. When I got my 240, the S-Video image produced was vastly superior to the 4800's but the component connection gave a picture that appeared "washed out" during bright scenes.

I received two explanations:1. The cable I was using, a generic component/vga, was the problem. 2. My dvd player, which is a non-progressive unit, was to blame. I borrowed a progressive $69 JVC unit which produced an excellent image via component using the same cable. This leads me to believe that a progressive unit is a must.

I ask anyone who has this projector or has demoed one to give a short list of progressive scan dvd players that work best with the 240k. Due to my budget I ask that a $400.00 price range be considered as I won't be spending much more than that. Thanks in advance for all the helpful suggestions.

·
Banned
962 Posts
I think in that price range the favorites are the Denon 910 and 1200. I think they are pretty similar, but the 1200 has an audio decoder built in if that is something you want. The 910 is 299.99 and has the Faroudja DCDi which is a definate plus.

I'd get the 910 personally unless you want DVI out. I'm going to wait to hear about how the 2nd round of DVI players do. If the V Inc Bravo D2 gets good reviews I'll get one of those for my Z2, if not, then I'll get the 910 and wait till they figure this DVI thing out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I might look to find a Denon 1600, or the pani's that use the same chip. I have been more than impressed with my 1600, and I understand the Pani's may even be better. should be able to find one on ebay for less than your budget.

Mattammo

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you can afford a few hundred more (maybe $6-700), and aren't afraid of running an HTPC, this combo with the 240K is unbeatable. I'm currently running this and am very pleased.

·
Registered
27,716 Posts
The deinterlacer in the 240k softens the picture. The projector needs to be fed a progressive scan signal for best results.

I have a Denon 1600 and it's a champ. The 910 appears to be the best current alternative.

The 240k does not have a DVI input, so DVI is largely a non-issue (unless you want to use a DVI-to-VGA adaptor, which more or less defeats the point).

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Quote:
The 240k does not have a DVI input, so DVI is largely a non-issue (unless you want to use a DVI-to-VGA adaptor, which more or less defeats the point).
Not completely. :) I found (when I tested it out) that the DVI-VGA output from the Momitsu gave me a much sharper (cleaner) image. I'll know more when I finally start to use it on a regular basis.

Josh, have you adjusted your gamma settings? I would love to try them out if you don't mind posting them. I started a new thread asking about gamma settings. I'm just starting to experiment with them myself.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses . I was leaning towards the Pioneer DV-45A as it comes with a two year warranty and plays svcds. I've always been a little partial towards Pioneer's ELITE line.

I will investigate the DENON 910 as that seems to have garnered some high praise here. Is there anybody who has used the Denon model with the LT240K?

Also, is the 910 a superior player to the Pioneer DV-45a? I'm very interested in anybody's experience using this projector with a particular dvd player. Thanks again for all info.

·
Registered
27,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kysersose
Not completely. :) I found (when I tested it out) that the DVI-VGA output from the Momitsu gave me a much sharper (cleaner) image. I'll know more when I finally start to use it on a regular basis.
Fair enough, though that seems to be a Momitsu-specific fluke, in that its component output is said to be much inferior to its DVI output.

I'm tempted to buy a Momitsu, but I'm a little scared off by all the talk that it needs extensive tinkering/soldering work. Let me know how yours works out for you.

Quote:
Josh, have you adjusted your gamma settings? I would love to try them out if you don't mind posting them. I started a new thread asking about gamma settings. I'm just starting to experiment with them myself.
Do you mean the actual "Gamma" settings (Normal, Shadow Detail, etc.), or the manual white balance? I leave the Gamma set to Normal. I haven't messed too much with the white balance since I've been pretty happy with the projector's 6500k color temperature default.

·
Registered
27,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JGDragov
Thanks for the responses . I was leaning towards the Pioneer DV-45A as it comes with a two year warranty and plays svcds. I've always been a little partial towards Pioneer's ELITE line.
I'd stay away from Pioneer. All of their progressive scan DVD players have flag-reading deinterlacing chips (the worst kind). They also have the chroma upsampling error.

You should browse through the Progressive Scan Shootout . The 45A scored particularly poorly. Looks like a real loser.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Josh, I mean complete Gamma settings (white balance included) like what Guy Kuo posted here... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=357919

I love my Momitsu! The Component feed is actually quite good. I now have the latest firmware (as of today) and it includes contrast, brightness etc.. controls for the Momitsu itself. Also, I find that when I clean my DVD's I have zero problems playing them. (And I have done no mods, just firmware updates.)

·
Registered
27,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kysersose
Josh, I mean complete Gamma settings (white balance included) like what Guy Kuo posted here... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=357919
No, I haven't attempted that. There's only so much tweaking I can do before I get frustrated and stop being able to tell whether the changes I've made are for the better or not. At a certain point I just have to say, "No, it's good. I like it" and be done with it. A friend of mine has ColorFacts, and we measured the LT-240's 6500k color temperature default as being very close to accurate. I'm happy with it and just want to watch some movies!

Quote:
I love my Momitsu! The Component feed is actually quite good. I now have the latest firmware (as of today) and it includes contrast, brightness etc.. controls for the Momitsu itself. Also, I find that when I clean my DVD's I have zero problems playing them. (And I have done no mods, just firmware updates.)
I am SOOOO tempted to buy one soon. Do you have many PAL DVDs? Another concern of mine is that the Momitsu has a flag-reading deinterlacer and most PAL DVDs are flagged badly.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I don't have many PAL DVD's but I do know another member who replaced his HTPC with it and he watches tons of PAL DVD's.

Quote:
A friend of mine has ColorFacts, and we measured the LT-240's 6500k color temperature default as being very close to accurate.
That's good to know. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.