AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HT is nearly complete. Over the past 6+ months I've upgraded all my components, speakers, amps, etc. The last two remaining upgrades are a TV and DVD player.

Here's what I have now:

Rotel RSP-1066

Rotel RB-1070 (130x2 amp)

Rotel RMB-1075 (120x5 amp)

Pioneer 656A - DVD/DVD-A player

Axiom M60ti - mains

Axiom VP150 - center

Axiom QS8 - surrounds

Axiom M2i - rears

Hsu VTF-2 - subwoofer

JVC 32" TV

The obvious weak link in my setup is the Pioneer 656A. (And the TV, but that's another story).

What I'd like to do is get the best possible (

If so, what are some of the best DVD players for PQ and CD players for AQ. How much more is it going to cost to go the separate route?

As you can tell from my gear, I'm very big on "Bang-For-Your-Buck" performance. Both Rotel and Axiom make amazing products for reasonable prices. I'm a cheap SOB...I want the best, but at FAIR prices! :)

Here's what I've been considering...am I off track?

Rotel RDV-1060 (DVD/DVD-A) (it would certainly be nice to keep everything Rotel)

Denon DVD-2900 (Univeral)

Yamaha DVC-6480 (DVD/DVD-A)

One last thought...should I just keep the 656 and wait for HD-DVD, or is that still too far off?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Have I been black listed on this forum or something? This is the second DVD related post I've thrown up in this forum only to receive ZERO responses. Since when do you guys have no opinion on something? :)

Hello?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
If I were you, I would take my $1000 and put it in a piggy bank until you can afford a decent TV. On a 32" NTSC TV you're only going to get a certain level of PQ and I wouldn't doubt your Pioneer gets you there.

As far as CD SQ goes - I have no idea.

As far as DVD-A/SACD goes - I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
there seems to be a hole in the dvd offerings from the manufacturers. a couple of very good dvd players have been discontinued and cheaper (re:not that good) units have replaced them. a couple of examples would be the panasonic rp-82,xp50 and the denon dvd-1600. the hole seems to be between $350-$500 units with a very good picture and good sound. i'm in the same boat, i would like to upgrade my older interlaced dvd with a good quality progressive unit with dvd-a but i don't want to break the bank. it seems if you pay less than $700.00 u.s.($1000.00 cdn) you are not getting much value for your dollar. i may be off base but some of the posts here are saying the same thing. is there anything good in the $350.00 to $500.00 range? no chroma bug or "jaggies" or colour flicker or soft picture. that darn dvd shootout is driving me crazy!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
The philips 963SA? Or the new Denon models, if you want the better AQ. (Not sure which model Denon, but there's one that's similar to the Philips 963SA, but with better audio circuitry.)

But, if you are going to replace your monitor soon and you would probably want a player with dvi out. In that case, you're in a quandry right now. There's only a couple out there now. On the other hand. here's what I'm doing: I went with the Bravo D1 for dvi ht video and digital audio stuff, and I'll buy a universal player for SACD/DVD-A audio applications later. I decided to rip my entire cd collection to the computer anyway. Eventually I'll figure out how to do the playback via the receiver using ethernet or whatever for streaming audio from my server. I also picked up an XP-30 from another AVS member who didn't need his. I have it sitting in a box somewhere now.

I think the Denon 2900 in your list may be the unit I'm referring to.

-David

·
Registered
219 Posts
Scratch that .. have a look at the thread on the Denon 5900. That looks like it might be the one I want.

-David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.