AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom has an el cheapo Amoisonic DVD player that is starting to die.

She asked me to look into getting her another DVD/VCD player, but the problem is I have very little experience with VCDs. My Panasonics have worked fine with VCD, but I've only tested maybe about 10 VCDs in my machines, total.

In contrast, about 90% of what my mom watches are VCD - cheesy Chinese soap operas on VCD.

What's the best big name brand DVD player to get?

I was also wondering about PAL vs. NTSC, but IIRC it seems that most if not all her discs are actually NTSC despite the fact that the discs come from China. Is it true that most commercial Chinese discs are still VCD 1.1 NTSC compatible? (Her TV is NTSC-only by the way, and is not progressive scan.)

I don't care about SVCD, XVCD, or MiniDVD. I'm checking the dvdrhelp.com database, but that doesn't really tell me much about VCD performance.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Salmoneous
APEX is the king of the cheap players - perfect for Chinese soap opears on VCD. Nice quality, rock bottom prices, and they will play pretty much *anything * you throw at them.
Thanks, but I'm interested in something with better build quality and playback quality.

I have an Apex AD-600A, and both DVD playback quality and build quality are terrible.

Basically, what I'm asking is if I get her something like a Panasonic DVD-S35K , I won't be limiting her in terms of VCD, will I?

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, her player is a Amoisonic DVD 8506 .

It supports both PAL and NTSC, but as far as I can tell, it won't convert PAL to NTSC. (I can't check because she doesn't live in the same city.) So it seems the PAL issue is a non-issue, since her TV is NTSC-only.

The only problem is that I can't seem to find the Panasonic DVD-S35K locally, and it's not on the Canadian Panasonic website either.

·
Registered
931 Posts
yeah i second vcdhelp.com or as they are called now, dvdrhelp.com

I loved my JVC-500 whihc can be had for 99 bucks.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, thanks. I have already been to DVDRHELP.com. The problem there is that the reviewers really talk more about SVCD and DVD-R, etc. and not so much commercial VCD. I have no interest in SVCD or odd bitrate discs. She only uses DVD-R from me, and commercial VCDs.

But I have decided I want the Panasonic DVD-S35, mainly because it also supports DVD-R and DVD-RAM. (I have a Panasonic DMR-E30 and thus DVD-RAM would be a bonus if I decide to send her TV shows on DVD-RAM etc.)

Does anyone know much about its availability in Canada?

If so, please post here .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.