AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best DVD player for VIDEO that is below $1000? Between $500 and $1000? Below $500?

I am not interested in multichannel audio, just the best possible PQ.

Thanks

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 or Denon DVD-1600 - used for under $300. Denon DVD-910 new for $299, Mitsubishi DD-8040 new for under $249.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
nhparrot:

The answer depends on your display. DVI-output DVD players eliminate the noise generated by D/A and A/D conversions. The advantage for fixed-pixel displays is significant however, the advantage for CRT displays is much less. If you have a DLP, plasma or LCD display, then I would recommend one of the less expensive DVI-output players (Bravo D2 - due in Mar, Momitsu, etc.) which are less than $300 new. If you have a CRT display, then I'm sure that ThumberBoy's recommendations are the way to go.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Pio Elite 630HD RPTV with DVI input. Currently I have a Denon DVD 900 which I want to replace.

·
Registered
311 Posts
In my opinion, the 2200 is the best sub $1k player for your setup. However, I haven't had a "real" Panasonic player in my system to judge. Rather, I've had a Yamaha 2300, which uses a Panasonic core and the Faroudja deinterlacer, etc, so the picture should have been the same as a Panasonic.

My Denon 2900 (which has the same video section as a 2200) is much more pleasing to the eye than the Yamaha 2300 was (and every other player I tried for that matter). If you can borrow (or buy on evaluation) a Panasonic player and a Denon 2200, I'd want to compare them both on my own set. If you end up going this route make 100% sure that you calibrate your display for both DVD players. You'd be surprised how different the calibrations can be for different DVD players.

Best of luck.

Brian.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.