Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Do you have any recommendations for what you would consider to be the best DVD player under $100? I am looking for all of the following specs:

Progressive Scan

Component Out

S-Video Out

Composite Out

Digital Coaxial Out

16:9 Mode

Dolby Digital

DTS

Region-Free (Optional)

Optical Out (Optional)

I currently have a Cyberhome 300 that cost me $50 that has all of the above, but it doesn't work correctly when used with my InFocus X1 projector, so I need a replacement. I can't spend any more than $100.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
JVC XV-N40BK or XV-N50Bk, the latter is on sale at Good Guys for $99.
Thank you for your reply.

What is it about the JVC XV-N50BK that would make you recommend it over other sub-$100 players, such as Sony's DVP-NS425P or Toshiba's SD-4900?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I have the JVC XV-N40BK ($80 from Buy.com, free-shipping) which works great on my Mits 46" CRT rear-projection unit. It use to have a rebate but I think that's over with. I got it for $65 before Christmas from Buy.com but still a good deal for $80.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I also have an older JVC progressive scan player which is outstanding. And I only trust SONY when it comes to tvs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey everyone,

I just returned from Best Buy where I purchased the JVC XV-N50BK. However, it was the most frightening purchase that I have ever made. There were 8 total JVC XV-N50BK boxes there, and SIX of them had all been previously opened and returned. SIX out of EIGHT. I, of course, bought one of the ones that hadn't been opened previously/returned, but at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if I join the ranks of those who did return one. I am at work right now, so I can't test it out yet, but do any of you have any insight as to why there would have been SIX different returns of this product? I purchased it because it seems to be the overwhelming choice of the sub-$100 club, but now I'm not so sure.....

Also, I have noticed that a lot of people have been raving over the Pioneer 563. In terms of *picture quality* only, is the Pioneer 563 much better than the JVC XV-N50BK? Is it $80 (almost double the price) better? Sorry if this question is a bit off the topic of this thread, but it doesn't look like many people are paying attention to my other thread about it.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Does not Pioneer 563 has dvd-audio capability? I think that is a major reason why it is more expensive than jvc, which is not dvd-audio. I may be mistaken though

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by absolutic
Does not Pioneer 563 has dvd-audio capability? I think that is a major reason why it is more expensive than jvc, which is not dvd-audio. I may be mistaken though
Yes, exactly. The Pioneer has both DVD-Audio and SACD capability, neither of which interest me. That is why the Pioneer's picture quality would need to be at least "$80 better" than the JVC's in order to get me to buy it.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Its not worth double the price. Plus you asked for under $100, if you are willing to spend more than that of course you can get better quality - but in that case you need to go for the top-rated models with a Faroudja de-interlacer - the cheapest is $250 for the Mitsubishi DD-8040, I think Best Buy has the cheaper Mitsubishi DD-6040 model for around $100 too. Don't go by the number of returned open box models - some folks just buy it to test it out but later decide they want a more expensive model with some other features not because its bad - I did that myself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, once I saw that I would have to jump up to $250 to get a better quality picture, I wanted to keep my options to under $100. But then I learned about the Pioneer 563, which is getting a lot of hype and which is in-between those price points. I could swing the $180 for the Pioneer, but I only want to do it if I'm paying that extra $80 for the picture, not for the DVD-Audio and SACD.

Also, I have to admit, the whole "stuttering" issue that I keep hearing with the JVC is totally freaking me out. I've heard rumors that there is very noticeable stuttering. I've also heard that there is no stuttering at all. I've heard there used to be stuttering in a previous firmware version, but not in the current one. I've heard that you can get an upgrade disc to update the firmware. I've heard that no such disc exists.

I think my head is going to explode.

·
Registered
97 Posts
For under $100, you sure do have a lot of expectations.

The JVC 44SL I have, paid like $65 after rebate is a solid product. You get what you pay for and then some and if you are concern about all these minor things thay may go wrong, spend a few hundred dollars more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since you are interested in the highly acclaimed Pioneer 563-A, you may want to consider the lesser known Pioneer 363-K version. According to the Pioneer website it is identical to 563 but lacks DVDA, SACD, 5.1 analog output and bass management. I had no use for these features, but wanted a quality progressive unit without the chroma bug, which my Sony 9000ES has. It was hard to find in stock, but Crutchfield (an authorized Pioneer dealer so Pioneer warranty is good)had it for under $100. Personally, I find the video quality is superior to the Sony 9000ES which set me back $1200, albeit 3 years ago. Like the 563, there is clearly no chroma bug. Looks superb on my Hitachi 61SDX01B. I also prefer the black color to the silver color of the 563 unit. It is a bit noisier than the super quiet Sony 9000ES, but I can't complain considering the price.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just bought a Philips DVD727 as a present for someone. $80 at Good Guys in San Francisco.

PAL-to-NTSC format conversion for viewing non-region-encoded European discs. Plays DVD-RW and +RW, SVCD. VCD, JPEG images. CD compatible with CD-Rs and CD-RWs loaded with MP3 files. Progressive-scan output with 3:2 pulldown. Optical and coaxial digital-audio outputs pass Dolby Digital and DTS surround signals.

Picture is very nice for under $100. Deinterlacing is good. Indexing and playing of JPEG pictures is fast and easy. The 727 can rotate and flip and zoom the JPEG pictures. The sound is better than I expected - not thin at all.

The only drawback is a 90 warranty. After that you have to pay $40 to get it fixed or exchanged by Philips. Because of the short warranty, I would recommend leaving the machine on for a couple of days and playing a lot of discs to break it in.

Region control can be defeated with a hack from the remote control. Press the eject button. (Doesn't matter if the disc is in the tray as long as the tray is sticking out from the machine.) Slowly press 99990 on the remote control. The screen will display the message "Region 0". Region control is defeated at that point. Nothing else needs to be done. Just resume normal operation. After applying the hack, I was able to play German and Spanish region 2 discs with no problems.

Noel

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Its very simple. Do you care utmost about top picture quality? If so get a Faroudja-based model no matter what the price. At your under $100 price point you have to accept deficiencies and all the models have them: JVC may have a little stutter on a few DVD scenes but others will have worse problems. Spend a little more like around $200-250 and get a used Panasonic XP30 or XP50 - you will get the best picture quality hands-down and no issues. Or you can spend less now and find you hate it and a few months later upgrade and spend even more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, the JVC XV-N50BK didn't work out. Surprise surprise. Like I said, I should have regarded those six returned boxes as a sign. Just some advice: I wouldn't recommend the JVC if I were you. All of the problems I heard are true. VERY noticeable stuttering. Even my wife, who is about as far from giving a damn about video quality as anyone could possibly be, noticed the stuttering. In addition to the stuttering, the coaxial digital output on my JVC appeared to be broken. It didn't work at all (even though I've used the coaxial digital output on several previous DVD players). Most likely, this was unique to this particular machine (i.e. broken on my machine). Another additional problem was that the JVC decided to subtitle the Pirates of the Caribbean title in French. !!! Subtitling was off. There was no subtitling during dialogue. There was no subtitling on other movies. Just one big French subtitle at the very beginning of Pirates of the Caribbean as the opening title text appeared on screen. Bizzare. Needless to say, the JVC is going back. My $50 CyberHome performed (and looked) better than the JVC. So, seriously, stop recommending it. It's a bad player, and Best Buy now has SEVEN returns -- for obvious reasons.

I've tested a Cyberhome, a JVC, and my PC with my projector this week, and each one has some sort of problem (Cyberhome doesn't scale correctly, JVC is crap, and my PC isn't outputting sound correctly). So, I'm pretty fed up.

At this point, all I want is a sub-$100 player that works and that doesn't have the chroma bug.

That's it. Under $100. Works. No CUE.

Can anyone please recommend me such a player? Please?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I concur - I bought a N50BK also and the stuttering is quite noticable.

I think I am going to pick up the 563. I wanted one of the XP30s that were at Soundcity, but they sold out before processing my order!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
wow, i can't believe JVC has gotten so bad! My JVC XV-S65GD which I bought in 2001 (over 200$ but it was one of the first progressive scan players out there) is outstanding and provides such an awesome 480p picture.

what about Magnavox? I have in my bedroom a cheapy 49$ Magnavox MDV421SL and it plays everything, region-free with remote, plays pal/ntsc and even plays raw mpeg/mpg files. www.dvdrhelp.com gives it 9.2 out of 10 rating. The only complaint I have is there is no display on the unit itself.

I know there is 69$ progressive scan version of the same player. Check it out. Best Buys definately sells Magnavox I am just not sure what the model number is.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.