Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

First, the specific question:

I've been researching the threads on the Panasonic RP82 vs the RP91, but have yet to find a comparison of these units based on over-all video quality.

Virtually everything written has talked about the RP82's superior de-interlacing via the Faroujda chip. However, de-interlacing is only part of the story in video quality (for instance, the Panasonic RP-56 has superior de-interlacing to the more expensive RP-91. Yet quite a few have written they feel the overall picture quality of the RP91 is superior to the RP56, with only the de-interlacing aspect being inferior).

Can anyone who has compared the RP-82/RP-91 comment on the general picture quality differences, re color, sharpness, etc.?

General Question:

I own the RP-91, and in my system I've actually found the interlaced signal (via the S-Video - heresy!) to be superior for actual video quality over the progessive component. Yes, I have to live with some more artifacts (my plasma's de-interlacer is not quite as good as the RP-91s). But for video quality, the interlaced S-Video signal's color is less noisy, more solid, has more depth, the picture is sharper and more exact with a more realistic, 3-D effect. It's very possible this has to do with the way my Panasonic Plasma handles S-Video signals over Component signals. (BTW, someone actually posted a link to measurements of the interlaced output of the RP-91, stating it was the best video they'd seen).

I've been thinking of having my RP-91 "modded" to upgraded parts etc. to see if I can push the picture even further. Before I do this, I wondered if there were any DVD players out there that produce an even better overall video quality, at around the same price (or a bit higher - such as the Pioneer Elite players).

How about it? The Pioneer Elites? The new Sony? The RP-82 - any of these better video quality than the RP-91.

Thanks for listenin.'

Rich H.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
in my eyes the denon 3800 is the best. i have tried the others the 3800 looks great even on interlaced.it has the best video i have seen from a dvd player i tired the others and couldnt stand watching them after seeing the 3800 picture. also no layer changes like all the others have.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have the Pioneer Elite 47Ai hooked to a Sony XBR (old one) through s-video and the interlaced signal of the Pioneer is absolutely gorgeous and realistic. I compared only the interlaced signals with the Denon 3800 and the Pioneer had more depth and realism than the Denon. Again this is my opinion.

Ultimately, you got to compare yourself.

·
Registered
27,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R Harkness
Can anyone who has compared the RP-82/RP-91 comment on the general picture quality differences, re color, sharpness, etc.?
The RP82 uses the same MPEG decoder as the RP91, so general picture quality should be the same. It is in deinterlacing where they differ.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
maybe using i old xbr the pioneer may look better but on my mits 46809 the 3800 is the best i have seen. different displays may make a difference you need to compare on same display with same cables and calibrated with avia. that is what i did and the 3800 had the best picture. but like he said you need to compare yourself using what i did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.