AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. This is my first post. I apologize because this is such a "newbie" question. I have looked through the posts here. You guys are very advanced users and really know how to write up DVD recorders in detail.
I have a few simple needs. (At the end of my message.) I'm hoping someone can make a recommendation to me. I'd really appreciate it.

A while back, I started on the project of converting my VHS tapes (around 600) to DVD. I bought a Panasonic DMR-ES45V. I was happy with it. But, it recently gave out.

I bought the Sony unit (VHS/DVD recorder combo - don't remember the model number.) I got it home, and you couldn't set the thumbnail. That was a deal breaker. I returned it and got the Panasonic DMR-ES48V. I was disappointed that the "save phrase" feature was gone. (I saw that comment in a review here.) Can you imagine typing "Survivor: The Australian Outback" over and over again? Another disappointment: I was dubbing a videotape I recorded off regular TV and it claimed it was copyrighted. It was a tape I recorded off TV - not one I bought! I decided it would be better to return the unit and get a plain DVD recorder. I can hook up a regular VCR into the DVR recorder and record that way. Hopefully, it won't pick up this bogus "copryright violation."

I record in two ways:

1. If it's an hour long show with commercials, I just hit the record button a couple of times until it says 1:00.

2. If it's a show with commercials edited out, I set the time to start one minute in the future and record for 48 minutes (or whatever it is.)

Here are my needs:

1. I need a unit where I can set a thumbnail.

2. I need a unit where I can save phrases for my titles.

3. I need to be able to set a "regular" record time (like an hour as in case 1 above) or an "odd" recording time (like 48 minutes in case 2 above.)

That's it. Is there a DVD recorder that would meet these needs? Thanks in advance for your help.

Justin

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jld75 /forum/post/15538797

A while back, I started on the project of converting my VHS tapes (around 600) to DVD. I bought a Panasonic DMR-ES45V. I was happy with it. But, it recently gave out . . . That's it. Is there a DVD recorder that would meet these needs? Thanks in advance for your help. Justin

Your DMR-ES45V is certainly one of the best products for dubbing videotaped recordings to DVD. Using the FUNCTIONS, COPY menu to initiate copying makes the three 2006 combo recorders (DMR-ES35V, DMR-ES45V, DMR-ES46V), and one 2005 combo recorder (DMR-ES30V) the outstanding full-featured dubbing workhorses, superior to other consumer grade combo recorders.

EZ series combo recorders did away with menu-initiated copying so they are unsatisfactory for use in a large dubbing project. (My dubbing project transferred around 5,200 titles to DVD primarily using DMR-ES35V and DMR-ES30V combo recorders.)

Did you ever clean your DMR-ES45 model's DVD drive rubber hub? The cleaning procedure takes around fifteen minutes, a couple of cotton swabs and some rubbing alcohol. Many owners report that this simple procedure returns their Panasonic to like-new performance. See this post and those that follow if for more information and photos:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Unfortunately none of the EZs have the "phrase save" feature. The last models to have that were the '06 Panasonic ES line. If you could find a ES-15 you might be happy. It was the most basic DVDR only in the '06 line.

I tried several other brands back in '05 and I don't believe any had "phrase save" like the Pannys.

Digado's correct, if you can get your old ES-45 working then that would probably be the best option. Note from what I understand even the EH-67 from WorldImport.com which is basically a '06 design, lacks the PS feature. As you may be able to tell, I use it all the time and would be really bummed to be without it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm disappointed to hear the PS feature is gone. I tried cleaning the doololly before, and it didn't help. I turn it on, and it spins for a while. It says self-check failed. It tells me to consult the owners manual and maybe take it for service. I think the error may have been U61. I think this unit is toast unless someone has a miracle fix.

I can't have the phrase save feature. I think it's unnecessary to have a VCR in the unit because it tells me there is a copyright violation to stuff I recorded off TV. Any suggestions on a standalone DVD recorder that will let me set a thumbnail?

Thanks.

Justin

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jld75 /forum/post/15547514

Thanks for the replies. I'm disappointed to hear the PS feature is gone. I tried cleaning the doololly before, and it didn't help. I turn it on, and it spins for a while. It says self-check failed. It tells me to consult the owners manual and maybe take it for service. I think the error may have been U61. I think this unit is toast unless someone has a miracle fix.

I can't have the phrase save feature. I think it's unnecessary to have a VCR in the unit because it tells me there is a copyright violation to stuff I recorded off TV. Any suggestions on a standalone DVD recorder that will let me set a thumbnail?

Thanks.

Justin

The U61 error may indicate a power supply problem, perhaps a failing capacitor, or a problem with the DVD Drive laser assembly or a problem with the "Digital PCB." Panasonic suggests replacing the DVD Drive and the Digital PCB as a "module." The "module" is the most likely problem.

Panasonic Parts Company sells the RFKNES45VP RAM/DIGITAL PCB MODULE to local "authorized" repair shops for $621.69. Add labor charges and that turns into a very expensive repair at a local "authorized" shop.

Since the DMR-ES45 is such an outstanding dubbing workhorse, better than anything else currently found in the marketplace, it is worth saving for that reason alone. The corporate Panasonic Digital Service Center in Elk Grove Village Illinois offers a $130 flat-rate repair that includes parts, labor, and return shipping. The flat-rate repair returns a Panasonic to new functional condition. See this post for more detail:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14451738

·
Registered
11,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jld75 /forum/post/15547514

Any suggestions on a standalone DVD recorder that will let me set a thumbnail?

I think that feature is more common that Phrase Save, maybe someone else with other brands having that feature will chime in.

Unfortunately most newer DVDRs aren't as reliable or have the PQ of the older Pannys. As Digado recommended your best option(unless you want to DIY)might be the $130 flat rate repair. For $130 you're not going to find anything even close to your old Panny. The cheapest new Panny, the tunerless EA-18 will allow you to change thumbnails but again no PS feature.

Another advantage of the older machines is they are known for being less susceptible to CP than the newer ones. Not that I've read about many problems with CP and the newer Pannys but it's another advantage to getting your old one fixed.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/15544809

...As you may be able to tell, I use it all the time and would be really bummed to be without it.

+1000

I use the phrase save feature all the time too. That is why I use my EH67 mostly for movies where I don't have to re-enter part of the name often. For the recording of a series, I always use a machine with the phrase save feature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/15547746

Since the DMR-ES45 is such an outstanding dubbing workhorse, better than anything else currently found in the marketplace, it is worth saving for that reason alone. The corporate Panasonic Digital Service Center in Elk Grove Village Illinois offers a $130 flat-rate repair that includes parts, labor, and return shipping. The flat-rate repair returns a Panasonic to new functional condition. See this post for more detail:

I could have sworn I posted this reply yesterday. Maybe I hit the wrong button. I think I will go with the $130 flat rate repair for my old unit since it is out of warranty. There may be a problem though. I opened the case to clean the doololly the disc sits on. In the process:

1. I lost one of the screws.

2. I dislodged the tray the disc sits on (the thing that pops out when you hit the eject button.) I couldn't get it back in right. Now it doesn't "sit" properly in the unit.

In other words, it's very obvious I opened the case and messed around in there. Will they still repair it for the $130 or will they tell me I'm out of luck because I opened the case?

You all have been very helpful in your replies. Thanks.

Justin

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jld75 /forum/post/15567992

I could have sworn I posted this reply yesterday. Maybe I hit the wrong button. I think I will go with the $130 flat rate repair for my old unit since it is out of warranty. There may be a problem though. I opened the case to clean the doololly the disc sits on. In the process:

1. I lost one of the screws.

2. I dislodged the tray the disc sits on (the thing that pops out when you hit the eject button.) I couldn't get it back in right. Now it doesn't "sit" properly in the unit.

In other words, it's very obvious I opened the case and messed around in there. Will they still repair it for the $130 or will they tell me I'm out of luck because I opened the case?

You all have been very helpful in your replies. Thanks.

Justin

If one of the screws is loose inside your machine do not, under any circumstance, connect the power cord. Locate that screw and correctly seat it once the drive is properly reassembled. Do not turn the machine upside down with the DVD drive lid removed.

Since your machine is not under warranty and you probably need to have a new "module" Elk Grove Village would be swapping out the whole "module" consisting of the DVD drive and the Digital PCB.

A complicating factor that may disqualify your machine for the $130 flat-rate repair would be any actual damage to the DVD drive parts that will prevent their reuse. If you've used force in attempting to reassemble the DVD drive without properly positioning the roller/slider to the far left at the rear of the disc tray there may be other complications, especially if you manually ejected the disc tray with the DVD drive lid open. If the tray is misaligned with its side rails it should not be difficult to realign without the use of force.

I have addressed various reassembly difficulties in these two posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post14422246

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post14709306

Your DVD drive reassembly problem may not be as complicated as that described in the second post. That post addresses a lens assembly mounting panel that been dislodged from its guide channel near the lower edge of the disc tray release mechanism. That mechanism also controls the raising of the hub/spindle assembly in the play/record/finalize position and the lowering of the hub/spindle assembly allowing the disc tray to pass over the hub/spindle when the disc tray is opened. If the lens assembly mounting panel front tab/post has been dislodged from its guide channel be sure to follow the reassembly instructions in the second post. For guidance see the last image attached to that second linked post. Take care not to break the lens assembly mounting panel front tab/post when realigning it to its guide channel.

If you manage to correctly reassemble your machine there should be no problem with the flat-rate repair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts