AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up the Pana dmr-es46v. I have checked the standard online/b&M electronics dealers (CC, Best Buy, Crutchfield) to see if their is a better recorder since people have complained. But, the only better ones are ones with Hard Drives which I don't need. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
If you are under $700, that will include EVERY DVD RECORDER on the market.

And why so against HDD'S with the DVD Recorders? Once people get one with it, they almost always say they never should have bought the VCR/DVD Recorder first, or the DVD Recorder alone.

You can get a GREAT DVD Recorder without a HDD well under $200. These would be the standalone recorders. Just a DVD recorder made by Panasonic, Pioneer, LG, or Sony.

If you want one with a VCR attached to it, go for the Panasonic. I don't why you don't like the ES46V, and where all the complaints are. Panny's are widely considered one of the best, especially the ES15/25/45 series, which can be found anywhere. Especially at places like Circuit City, or WalMart for sure. These tend to go for around $275 with the tax included. Maybe less when on sale.

But there are excellent HDD recorders out there. Panasonic makes one with a DVD Recorder/VCR/80 GB HDD for around $449+tax at Circuit City. i have not heard alot of complaints.

Crutchfield sells the 200GB HDD version for $499+tax(no VCR). They have a great rep(both Crutchfield and Panasonic), and these models are liked by most, outside of the TVGuide crap.

If that is such a huge fear, you could get the Pioneer 640 which can be found for $350+tax or less, depending on where you shop. Many online shops sell them.

Just ask those here if they got there's online, and who is repuatable.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
What do you mean by better? All the Panasonic EH75V is, is a ES45V/46V with a HDD in it & the TV Guide System.

The same goes for the Panasonic EH55 with a HDD it's just an ES25 with a HDD & the TV Guide system.

Granted some of these newer Recorders might not have the same build quality as the older units that came from Japan but they are also hundreds of dollars cheaper than those units were.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sorry I was misunderstood. I don't hate the DS46V. I was just concerned about the complaints I was hearing. I wanted to make sure before I opened it that I wasn't rushing into it and could have found a better recorder.

And with regards to the HDD. I have a HD dvr. I just assumed it was overkill.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 /forum/post/0

Only if you feel the need to edit your recordings will never be necessary.

Get a HDD unit. Do not spend anywhere near the $700.

Can you explain more about the editing? If I save something to the dvr can't I edit the same as the HDD?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipbags /forum/post/0

And with regards to the HDD. I have a HD dvr. I just assumed it was overkill.

It depends on the model of your HDD DVR.

Is this one you rent from either the cable company or satellite?

If yes, then As Far As I Know(AFAIK), these units have NO type of editing within there systems on the HDD.

Not even some Over The Counter HDD/High Definition recorders(the Sony HDG-250/500 come to mind) have any type of editing features.

Only the HDD's found in DVD Recorders have editing features.

Ones like the Pioneer 640 and the Toshiba XS-35/XS-55(do i have those model #'s right on the Toshiba's?) have editing features galore on those models.

The Pansonic's have them as well, but have that TVGuide system built in. Can be easily avoided on recording, but it is shame it does not work well with alot of people. Not everyone mind you, but alot of people.

You could, I guess, just do the editing on a DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW on your Panasonic, but you would be doing it in REAL TIME, and be using the PAUSE and/or STOP button to remove commercials/unwanted video.

While playing it back through your HDD DVR, you could be sending it out to your DVD Recorder, and pausing the Panny, then FF the HDD DVR, then picking up the recording again on the Panny.

This would be REALLY TIME CONSUMING, but to each their own.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I started with TWO DVD Recorders without a Hard Disk. They now sit back in the box and all the recorders I use now have H-D Drives.

I am sorry I ever bought one without a Hard Disk.

Just my 2 cents. There are a some good quality machines out there. Each person prefers one over the other for features that are important to them. No matter which brand you buy, think long and hard about getting one with a Hard Disk Drive. You will not be sorry.

·
Banned
9,255 Posts
Be aware that Toshiba models are notorious for giving out false "copyright restricted" messages on many, many, many different programs. I had two different units for a week each and got rid of them because it almost seemed as though Toshiba didn't want me to record anything at all.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
The DMR-ES46V is a pretty decent combo unit plus you get an included HDMI cable in the box which is a bonus. If you are looking to move up from there, you really do need to be looking at a unit with a HDD. If you need the VHS functionality then the Panny DMR-EH75V is a good bet with 80GB HDD in addition to the VHS and DVD drive. If no VHS is required, then the Panny EH55 or the Pioneer 640 are good decks.

The hard disc drive (HDD) provides certain advantages such as: not having to have a disc in the recorder for every timed/manual recording (records to the HDD) (especially useful on back-back recording marathons), ability to edit HDD recorderings to remove excess material or commercials before you commit the final recording to disc, ability to manually set chapter stops before you record to disc, high speed dubbing between the HDD and disc, ability to re-dub material to disc in the event the disc "fails" during dubbing/recording or finalizing (very inconvenient it happens to a timeshifted recording for which you have no HDD backup), the ability to make exact duplicates of a hdd recording to multiple discs. You also get some of these features with DVD-RAM or DVD-RW rewriteable discs recorded in VR mode (which is an editing friendly video record mode that differs from straight VIDEO mode that allows you to on disc editing - but obviously you don't get the advantages of extended recordings beyond the 1 to 8 hours capacity on the discs). Some of these advantages are mitigated somewhat if you are using a DVR as source - but the main advantage (highlighted above) - that is the ability to edit a recording, add chapter stops, and titles before commiting them to disc for permanent archiving is still valid even with a DVR because AFAIK most if not all DVRs have little or no editing capability.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 /forum/post/0

Be aware that Toshiba models are notorious for giving out false "copyright restricted" messages on many, many, many different programs. I had two different units for a week each and got rid of them because it almost seemed as though Toshiba didn't want me to record anything at all.

I own 2 Toshiba RD-XS55s and one RDXS-35 none of the machines have ever given me a false "copyright restricted" message. I have no problem recording, everything works as it should. Couldn't be happier. The machines fallow a Pioneer, 3 Sonys and 2 Panasonics. The Toshibas are by far (IMHO) the best yet. I bought one and was SO impressed I bought two more within 10 days. They are now my main machines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.