AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys think is the best DVD Review Site. I suscribe to Home Theater Mag and Sound & Vision Mag and enjoy their reviews. Problem is, I can't seem to access those reviews online. I use DVD profiler to catalogue my DVD's and would like to input the reviews into the software. Sorry if this has already been addressed. Thanks,

Kenny

·
Registered
950 Posts
Just curious about peoples use of review sites.

Are you using it justify your purchase of a disc?

Features?

Movie synopsis?

I for one never use reviews, I'll buy it after I rent it (Netflix) or know I like it and for sure will buy it. (Upcoming Indy trilogy, Finding Nemo etc).

The only exception to this has got to be the pathetic version of The Final Countdown that was put out.

Other than that, I can't say I would ever need to read a review.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I love rottentomatoes for a consensus of what the critics think, although the vast number of amateur review websites in the tally skew it towards certain tastes (Animated Films tend to rank highest, and there is much bitching and whining). imdb.com is great for a consensus of what fans think but I don't believe they focus on DVD quality. darkhorizons.com specifically reviews DVD releases and comments on quality, features, extras, etc.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TK Doom

I for one never use reviews, I'll buy it after I rent it (Netflix) or know I like it and for sure will buy it. (Upcoming Indy trilogy, Finding Nemo etc).

The only exception to this has got to be the pathetic version of The Final Countdown that was put out.

Well I use it mainly to try and save myself some time and money. For one thing I don't have time to watch every movie that is released nor would I want to. But when a film I'd otherwise pass on is acclaimed, I'll likely watch it. And I also use reviews to decide if I want to see it in the theatre or just wait for it to come out on video.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:

Features?

Movie synopsis?
I read them for a heads-up on a movie that might have slipped under my radar, or a disk potentially so bad I'll want to skip it (Meaning of Life SE, for example). My main reason for going to sites like DVDFile is the news and coming soon announcements.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Quote:

Features?

Movie synopsis?

I usually know what kind of movies I like, so I use the review to check out the video and sound quality. This can sway a DVD for or against a purchase.

I actually will buy rather then rent, because this usually saves me money in 2 ways. One, I save on the rental fee, and two, if I decide to purchase the DVD a few days after their release, the prices are back up to regular, which is about $5-8$ more than when they are first released. If I somehow pick a loser :eek: I can usually sell it on half.com for about the same price that I bought it for.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The world's greatest dvd reviewer of QUALITY movies is DVD Savant (head over to www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/ ). The Savant is the most accurate, impassioned, knowledgeable writer I have ever encountered. Want to know the scoop on an obscure musical called "1776?" Want to read the full story on the restoration of "Strange Invaders?" Want to find out why you treasure your first viewing of "Curse of the Demon?" Well, just check out the DVD Savant. I'm serious. If you love film...fun film...serious cinema...shlock horror...you owe it to yourself to skim the archives of the Savant's site. I guarentee you will soon be checking out the site weekly. Just give his review of George Pal's "The Time Machine" the once-over. From plot to digital transfer to sound, he covers it all!

·
Registered
28,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Urchinn
The world's greatest dvd reviewer of QUALITY movies is DVD Savant (head over to www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/ ). The Savant is the most accurate, impassioned, knowledgeable writer I have ever encountered. Want to know the scoop on an obscure musical called "1776?" Want to read the full story on the restoration of "Strange Invaders?" Want to find out why you treasure your first viewing of "Curse of the Demon?" Well, just check out the DVD Savant. I'm serious. If you love film...fun film...serious cinema...shlock horror...you owe it to yourself to skim the archives of the Savant's site. I guarentee you will soon be checking out the site weekly. Just give his review of George Pal's "The Time Machine" the once-over. From plot to digital transfer to sound, he covers it all!
He is a very good film critic, however his technical knowledge of DVD quality is very limited. He has given rave reviews to some of the worst-looking DVDs ever released. Read the Savant only for the movie portion of his articles and completely disregard the rest.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Z
He is a very good film critic, however his technical knowledge of DVD quality is very limited. He has given rave reviews to some of the worst-looking DVDs ever released. Read the Savant only for the movie portion of his articles and completely disregard the rest.
I totally second this. I think he watches the movies on an old 19" Zenith or something (no offense to those of you who might be watching DVD on an old 19' Zenith). I generally agree with his take on the films themselves though.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GregF
Well I use it mainly to try and save myself some time and money. For one thing I don't have time to watch every movie that is released nor would I want to. But when a film I'd otherwise pass on is acclaimed, I'll likely watch it. And I also use reviews to decide if I want to see it in the theatre or just wait for it to come out on video.

Your best bet is go region free, I have a R4 (Australia) for over 2 years with chapters and a 2.35:1 which is boosted in height by my X, Y, Scaling that my mod JVC player has. My player can ajust the height to like the anamorphic size but it's not a true anamorphic.

Man when those tomcats make a low level high power 'buzz' over Senator Sam Chapmans yacht that's been named 'Gatsby' I turn up my bass and hear the full sound of what would be heard, BTW the disc has 4.0 Dolby Surround you can hear the 'rear' mono surrounds. I was not cheap 2 plus years ago and I got the best ICOS mod player shipped to me already for regions 1-6 to play

(Intensive Code Operating System AND Hardwired Progressive Scan with X,Y, Scaling)!

For Foreign discs I like Michael DVD's reviews.:)

·
Registered
28,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bionic Manaus
Your best bet is go region free, I have a R4 (Australia) for over 2 years with chapters and a 2.35:1 which is boosted in height by my X, Y, Scaling that my mod JVC player has. My player can ajust the height to like the anamorphic size but it's not a true anamorphic.
Hi, Danol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.