AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together a new htpc from scratch and am looking for recommendations for the DVD-ROM Drive.

Are there any particular models to recommend, or specific ones to avoid?

I'll be using the HTPC mostly to watch DVDs and want as stable and smooth playback as possible.

·
Registered
195 Posts
KrisRoberts,

You may also want to consider how much noise the DVD drive makes when playing DVDs. My first DVD-ROM drive was extremely noisy. Always sounded like a fan on high speed. That was a Toshiba SD-M1502. I searched for recommended quiet DVD-ROM drives and found the Pioneer DVD-106S and the Toshiba SD-M1202. I bought both, but have only used the Pioneer. It is very quiet and the slot opening is also convient.

·
Registered
720 Posts
After trying many different DVD-ROM drives, and finding the occasional DVD compatibility issues with every drive I tried with at least one DVD title, I ended up with the Pioneer 106S (slot loader).

I can report that I have never had any DVD compatibility issues with the Pioneer 106S, so can highly recommend it. The slot loading also adds some convenience.

I think the latest model is Pioneer 120? Haven't tried that yet, but if you can't get hold of a good old 106S, then I would still suggest Pioneer to perhaps save the pain and expense of going through lots of other drives like I did.

Greg

·
Registered
16,923 Posts
Consider a cheap DVD burner instead since the added memory buffer will almost eliminate stutter issues due to the drive itself . I had very slight stutter with 3 different dvd-rom drives [ LiteOn / Toshiba / Pioneer ] , then I switched over to a DVD burner with a 2mb buffer and not 1 dropped frame :) .

---- Jason

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies! The HTPC lives under the stairs in our garage, so noise isnt a problem. But slot loading would be convenient. I also hadnt thought about the potential benefit of the buffer in a dvd-r drive.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The Pioneer slot drives are excellent when coupled with their speed reduction software. You can set it to run at 3x. At that speed it is nearly silent. However, the slot opening is an issue for dust buildup.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can anyone post a link to where to find this "speed-reducing" software that works with the Pioneer drives? I just picked up a 120S today and it is *loud* when playing...I measured over 50db with my sound meter...louder than the Toshiba M1402 that it is supposed to replace.

-- Will

·
Registered
853 Posts
Ok - If the HTPC is in another location... GREAT MOVE - so it mine. It's on the opposite side of a wall as I hate fan and HD noise.

My solution was to get an external firewire case. I disabled the fan and dropped in DVD rom drive. I think I'm running an Asus drive. Im using a 3 meter cable to it and have no problems.

The best part is that I no longer have to run down the stairs and into another room to put DVD's in and out of the drive. The only time I have to do that is when I screw up the resolutions in powerstrip.

Good luck. And rememebr - when your playing a movie. Will you even hear a DVD drive over the movie??

Thanks,

Vidkidd

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Just a concern from a fellow Pio slot user. Mine is extremely loud (104s), I was under the impression a tray would help decrease the noise rather than the opening in the front for the slot.

Has anyone compared the two?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.