AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice on the best DVD viewing solution for my situation.

First off, I am a lowly police officer (if you didn't guess by screen name), so needless to say, my budget is limited.

I currently have a Mitsubishi 50" HD plasma display. This display has DVI/HDCP input, BUT, it is not scaleable. In other words, whatever I input via DVI must be scaled or processed by the source as none of the Mitsubishi's adjustments are available on the DVI input.

Second, I have a Panasonic RP91 player which I like very much.

All I want, is the best possible DVD image available. If that means a DVI player so be it. Or, maybe an SDI mod for the Panny and a good scaler which accepts SDI and outputs a scaled image via the DVI output.

I do not necessarily care if the scaler handles SDTV particularly well, nor do I care if it does 1080p well.

I just want to get the absolute most out of my movie watching experience with my plasma.

Please give me good to the point advice, I would very much appreciate everyone's professional opinion.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Hey robo,

There are a few ways you can go, depending mostly on budget considerations.

A DVI player will give you a better picture than you're getting today, but most have mediocre deinterlacing. I believe the Denon (the exact model number eludes my memory just about now) DVI player has DCDi engine, so it should work quite nicely for you.

I'd say that a scaler is probably overkill for you because you'd only be using it on your DVD source. If you had said that SDTV is also of importance, I would have probably recommended to consider the upcoming iScan HD or the Vision Pro (both have optional SDI, which you could invest in at a later date once your budget allows for it).

If you're primarily watching DVD movies, I'd focus on getting a good DVI player.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks Ofer. Any knowledge of the Movi Magic M2000? I saw this player offered on Videogon at a decent price. Seems this may be a way to go?

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'd buy that for a dollar!! Sorry, couldn't resist...I just love that movie!!

Unfortunately, the Movi M2000 doesn't have DVI-out...and to get the very best picture, you'll want an all-digital path and hopefully a unit that can scale to your plasma's exact native rate.

If you consider a low-end DVI DVD player (e.g. Samsung HD931 or Bravo D1):

--PRO's - all-digital path; very inexpensive (~$200); Faroudja deinterlacing on the Samsung

--CON's - cannot scale other sources; cannot scale to your plasma's native rate (only 1080i or 720p), resulting in artifacts; extremely limited picture controls (especially since your plasma has none for DVI); will have to tell your RP91 about the rabbits

If you consider a higher-end DVI DVD player (e.g. Denon DV-5900 or Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi):

--PRO's - all-digital path; moderately priced (between $1200 - 1800 street); Faroudja deinterlacing on the Denon; superior DVD-A & SACD performance (if that matters at all); all the picture controls you could ever want over DVI (will make an enormous difference over the above lower-end players with proper calibration and tweaking)

--CON's - cannot scale other sources; cannot scale to your plasma's native rate (only 1080i or 720p), resulting in artifacts; will have to tell your RP91 about the rabbits

If you consider a mid-ranged scaler with SDI-input (Focus Enhancements CS-2 with SDI):

--PRO's - best PQ of all of these options; all-digital path; will scale to exactly match your plasma's native rate; can SDI-mod and keep your RP91 for superior performance; will scale all sources; even more picture controls than you could ever want; much more future-proof

-CON's - most expensive option (but still moderately priced, imho): CS-2 w/ SDI ($2150 street) + SDI mod for your RP91 ($450) = around $2600

If you can swing it, I think you'd be blown away with the third option.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Digital AV,

That was a great post! Just the kind of info I was looking for. I have definitely decided against the Movi M2000 as it only does rgbhv output and has no other options at all. Seems like a waste considering the new technology out there.

As for the Denon 5900, I am sure the PQ would be much improved via DVI. But, as you said, at 2k for a new player, I may as well get a scaler for a good price, ie, the CS-2 or new Iscan HD and mod the RP91. I would only be paying slightly more than the Denon alone.

I figure I can get the CS-2 or Iscan HD, run the Panasonic in via component in interlaced mode for now, let the scaler do the deinterlacing and converting. Then, when money permits mod the player to SDI for an all digital path.

The Iscan HD sounds like a very desirable option at this point, maybe over the CS-2 which I was originally considering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.