AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm struggling with the settings - getting very little out of surround speakers. I know some media have little to "say" in the surrounds so I'm looking for some DVD titles I can own to make sure I'm set up correctly.

Please and thanks you.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The matrix scene with Neo shooting into the building from the helicopter is really good for setting the back levels. Before I heard this I had my rears way too low. After this scene I now have the rears set several db higher than the fronts.

In this scene you should hear a lot of zinging and bullet shell clanging in the rears.

good luck!

·
Registered
30,632 Posts
No movie is good for setting levels since you cannot really know what those levels are supposed to be. You can use some for confirming that the settings are suitable for you. The best discs for setting the levels include extended test tones which you can measure with a sound level meter, like the Radio Shack. For regular DVD players, the ones I like are the GoldLine (pricey) or Chesky's Ultimate DVD Set-Up disc (not the demo disk).

·
Registered
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imromo24 /forum/post/0

The matrix scene with Neo shooting into the building from the helicopter is really good for setting the back levels. Before I heard this I had my rears way too low. After this scene I now have the rears set several db higher than the fronts.

In this scene you should hear a lot of zinging and bullet shell clanging in the rears.

good luck!

Love that scene. I use pioneers's MCACC to set up my levels, and then add a couple DB to the surrounds. Just for that little extra zip.

·
Registered
506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/0

No movie is good for setting levels since you cannot really know what those levels are supposed to be. You can use some for confirming that the settings are suitable for you. The best discs for setting the levels include extended test tones which you can measure with a sound level meter, like the Radio Shack. For regular DVD players, the ones I like are the GoldLine (pricey) or Chesky's Ultimate DVD Set-Up disc (not the demo disk).

Sure, and I wish I had a masters in hometheater.

No, really, I have the best setup of anyone I know thanks to this place. So there really is no way to beat a well calibrated system using all the right equipment I'm sure, I just wish I had the time, money and help!

But ya sure can't beat the zings and zangs in that helicopter scene!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I agree with House of flying Daggers. I have watched hundreds of movies, but none have the surround use that the "Echo Game" scene in HOFD has. Anyone who hasn't seen it needs to give it a look.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Searching for Private Ryan (DTS). The whole Movie......

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a phillips or panisonic DVD lens cleaning DVD, that also has a 5.1 and 7.1 surround set-up and test. Tests each speaker throughh a wide range, and it also has a few scenes from movies and animated clips that show the performace of the surround sound. The installer of my surround systems used the disk and it seemed to work really well. I am looking for the actual name of the disk. I'll post it when I find it.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imromo24 /forum/post/0

Sure, and I wish I had a masters in hometheater.

No, really, I have the best setup of anyone I know thanks to this place. So there really is no way to beat a well calibrated system using all the right equipment I'm sure, I just wish I had the time, money and help!

No, really. Go buy or borrow a Radio Shack analog SPL meter and use your test tones on your AVR to calibrate your system. As my wife would say, "It's stupidly easy."
{edit: Here is a thread that mentions the Avia disk, but you can also use your AVR's test tones:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=spl

·
Registered
506 Posts
I am putting alot more money into my new system, so I am going to take some time to do that, and $40 when your spending 5k I'll bet is worth it.

Is it that dramatically different than judging by ear? And, along with this thread...is it considered best practice to leave it at the settings the SPL meter comes up with or are some DVD's simply recorded with the rears extra low so we should jack up the rears after a calibration?

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I set my HT up with the spl meter (well I did up until 2 weeks ago when I received my new Denon AVR 4806 which has the Audyssey calibration system built in
) first. Then, given I am the primary one listening/watching stuff, go and tweak areas that I want more sound coming from (i.e., I bump up my rear channels a few dB because I like hearing things behind me a little louder) and I think that my hearing is slightly better in my left ear so I tweak the right front and surround a bit.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nethomas /forum/post/0

I agree with House of flying Daggers. I have watched hundreds of movies, but none have the surround use that the "Echo Game" scene in HOFD has. Anyone who hasn't seen it needs to give it a look.

i will when i get a HDMI receiver for the PCM soundtrack.

·
Registered
16,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotkey /forum/post/0

I'm struggling with the settings - getting very little out of surround speakers.

Calibrate your system properly and you don't have to worry about it; it's done.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everuyone - I do own Star Wars I and the pod race is awesome - I think the 5.1 is just about right on - but I still may take the advise for sound pressure testing too.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotkey /forum/post/0

Thanks everuyone - I do own Star Wars I and the pod race is awesome - I think the 5.1 is just about right on - but I still may take the advise for sound pressure testing too.

The only correct way is sound pressure device, it's not an option! well....only if you own Bose it is an option.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts