AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a number of games from the NBA playoffs saved on my Dish DVR, and I want to record them to DVD;

I bought the Toshiba DR410 since it was inexpensive and appears to handle widescreen properly. It seemed like everything recorded beautifully as far as preserving the widescreen format; but unfortunately I realized that the 4 hr recording mode did not give acceptable picture quality, although the 2 hr mode was great. But I want to keep the halftime, introductions, postgame and stuff, and I don't think pausing out the commercials will get me down to 2 hours - plus I don't have time to sit there and pause out commercials while recording a dozen separate games.

Now I'm thinking of returning it and getting a Panasonic, probably a DMREZ27K which I can get from Walmart.com. I figure I can set the flexible recording to a hair over 3 hours and just keep the commercials and everything - the only problem will be the aspect ratio stuff, but I guess I can fix that stuff on the computer if necessary, and I probably won't be watching the DVDs on a 4:3 TV ever - still, I'm kind of a perfectionist and would really prefer a unit that handles widescreen properly.

Also, I see target has DMR-EA18 for a little bit more - it sounds like this is essentially the upgraded model from the EZ27, but without a tuner? I don't need a tuner, but is there any reason I would want to pay a little bit more to get this one (other than being able to purchase it in store rather than ordering online?)

Or are there any other relatively inexpensive options out there that have a decent 3 hour mode or flexible recording, and can also flag anamorphic properly?

I also plan on using this for an upconverting DVD player for watching commercial DVDs etc; I thought I saw some worries aout the EZ27/28 dying, should I really be concerned about that?

thanks

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I suggest you read the thread titled "I'm looking for a DVD recorder to provide the best quality recording," where substantially the same question is being discussed.

·
Registered
11,578 Posts
The EA-18 has the advantage of a IR blaster which if you want may be able to control your STB. It lacks the tuner of the EZ-28 but that may not be a big deal for you.

Personally I'm not worried about the lack of flag, I basically only use 16:9 TVs anymore.

IMO the EZ/EA-x8 series is a little less buggy than the EZ-x7 series machines. I'd also have to give a slight edge to the tuner quality of the x8's but that probably won't effect you.

As far as the 3hr speed I don't think you're going to find any other DVDR that handles that speed as well as a Panasonic, at least from what I've seen.

·
Registered
13,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/14297753

The EA-18 has the advantage of a IR blaster which if you want may be able to control your STB. It lacks the tuner of the EZ-28 but that may not be a big deal for you.

Really, that's news to me. All their recorders are Viera-Link compatible but I've never seen mention of an IR blaster in any of the product specs. Did your EZ-28 also come with an IR blaster?

·
Registered
11,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/14300972

Really, that's news to me. All their recorders are Viera-Link compatible but I've never seen mention of an IR blaster in any of the product specs. Did your EZ-28 also come with an IR blaster?

No it did not. This is a case of spending more and getting less
Only the tunerless EA-18 and EA-38 come with a IR blaster port and I believe the blaster itself.

I believe Panasonics logic is if you have a EZ recorder with tuner you don't need a STB and as such a IR blaster. Shortsighted if you ask me(what about all the cable and sat. guys?)

Funny thing is Panasonic.com makes NO mention of this feature at all. The only way I saw it was I was at Target and saw a EA-18 display(Plastic replica
) anyway it had a jack on the back labeled STB control(I think). I didn't know if it was functional since the plastic display was just that, a replica. Well I was Ultimate Electronics and they had a EA-38(w/VHS) and it was a real unit. It had a real looking STB control jack. I read the box and it also mentioned you could control your STB with this unit. Target didn't have any EA-18s in stock so I couldn't look at a box for that unit, but I would think since the EA-38 mentioned this feature the EA-18 would be similar. Although I've asked for conformation several times on the board no one seems to have a EA-18, or at the least has responded to my question.

Thanks for the photos JT. They do show a improvement in PQ with faster speeds but where PQ really gets better with faster speeds is when their is a lot of motion. Initially I did extensive tests when switching from VHS to DVD and comparing speeds. I used more stationary or slow moving scenes since it was easier to compare PQ. From those tests I decided on LP. I'm glad I didn't record a lot right away because later I realized the dirty little secret about DVDs/MPEG2 compression. That is what might look good on a stationary scene soon goes to hell when fast motion is introduced. I probably made 30 DVDs using LP and later have rerecorded probably 25 of those due to Poor PQ/macroblocking. Now about the only thing I do in LP are the kids movies/programs. I can't stand much above 3hrs/disc, when motion is involved anyway. Old B & W movies tend to hold up quite well using LP. They didn't seem to have the need to change scenes every 1/4 of a second like they do now a days. Music videos in LP look downright awful if you ask me. For those I'd use SP as a minimum. Then again for a talk show where I really don't care about PQ I've been known to use EP6 or even EP8. It all depends on the source.

·
Registered
15,257 Posts
FWIW, my cheapo EZ27 refurb from the ebay best buy outlet, running the latest firmware, has been rock solid. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the anamorphic flag. All my WS recordings record and playback perfectly in WS on +/-R media, provided the source is anamorphic (S-video from a DirecTV HD DVR set to 16:9 in my case).

Thanks jtbell for the comparison pics! Not much difference until you go over 2hrs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts