AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Maybe we need two categories to know all we need to know about "Best DVR for OTA".

1. Best non-TIVO DVR for OTA (no additional license fee up front or monthly.)

2. Best TIVO model for OTA .

TIVO's UI sure is the best I've ever seen, with WMC in second place....

Maybe the new channelmaster K77 will have a nice UI. Seems like it will be devoid of additional/monthly/followup/lifetime/whatever licensing fees, so that's a big win for some of us!

·
Registered
5,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli  /t/1448951/best-dvr-for-over-the-air-recording/30#post_23695737

Maybe we need two categories to know all we need to know about "Best DVR for OTA".

1. Best non-TIVO DVR for OTA (no additional license fee up front or monthly.)

2. Best TIVO model for OTA .

TIVO's UI sure is the best I've ever seen, with WMC in second place....

Maybe the new channelmaster K77 will have a nice UI. Seems like it will be devoid of additional/monthly/followup/lifetime/whatever licensing fees, so that's a big win for some of us!

With no fees for guide data or software updates, the outcome has usually been the DVR quickly falls behind any DVR that has provisions for these services which obviously cost money to provide. This must be built into the cost of the DVR or paid in the form of a periodic subscription fee. Over the long run, TiVo doesn't cost much more than the competition if lifetime service is purchased. If someone can't afford lifetime service, I would just say wait until you can.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Its good to hear that you have had good long term reliability with the Tivo boxes. My main issue with paying for lifetime service is that if the box dies, you are stuck buying the service again. Tivo tells me that they charge $199 to transfer a lifetime service to another box if one fails, but I find that ridiculous. If their hardware fails, you should be able to transfer for free.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2  /t/1448951/best-dvr-for-over-the-air-recording/30#post_23695815

Its good to hear that you have had good long term reliability with the Tivo boxes. My main issue with paying for lifetime service is that if the box dies, you are stuck buying the service again. Tivo tells me that they charge $199 to transfer a lifetime service to another box if one fails, but I find that ridiculous. If their hardware fails, you should be able to transfer for free.

Few things in life worth having come risk free. It would be absurd to offer a free lifetime transfer to a new TiVo if the old out of warranty TiVo fails, so TiVo doesn't do it and neither has any other DVR company. I accept that risk because there is no better alternative than TiVo and paying a monthly fee guarantees a bad outcome, lasts 10 years, you will have paid for 10 years of service. I always choose an option that can result in a good outcome and TiVo lifetime service at least offers that possibility, in my opinion the most likely outcome is a good one.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Chris,

Perhaps you can identify particular/specific TIVO models for those willing to consider it for OTA?

Are there older/preferable models available on Ebay for example?

Or is there a new model that would be best?

Maybe you can break it down for the two group of folks willing to pay monthly or 'lifetime' "protection" to TIVO:

- What's the best new or old TIVO to get for OTA use, for those who prefer to pay monthly protection/licensing to TIVO?

- What's the best new or old TIVO to get for OTA use, for those who prefer to pay "lifetime of the hardware" protection/licensing to TIVO?

thank you,

/e

·
Registered
5,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli  /t/1448951/best-dvr-for-over-the-air-recording/30#post_23695876

Chris,

Perhaps you can identify particular/specific TIVO models for those willing to consider it for OTA?

Are there older/preferable models available on Ebay for example?

Or is there a new model that would be best?

Maybe you can break it down for the two group of folks willing to pay monthly or 'lifetime' "protection" to TIVO:

- What's the best new or old TIVO to get for OTA use, for those who prefer to pay monthly protection/licensing to TIVO?

- What's the best new or old TIVO to get for OTA use, for those who prefer to pay "lifetime of the hardware" protection/licensing to TIVO?

thank you,

/e

Well, I am two models behind with no plans to upgrade so I am not the best to compare models but I do know a little about the models I haven't owned.

I understand only the basic TiVo Roamio comes with OTA tuners, the more expensive Roamio models are designed for cable and this makes sense, the market for an OTA DVR is small and doesn't include consumers willing to pay a high price for recording free over-the-air TV, in fact it is a budget conscious market. I do think some small market would be willing to pay for a 4 OTA tuner DVR but not me, I have never had conflicts requiring more than 2 tuners but I do have two 2 tuner TiVoHDs with service just in case that ever happens. I like having two TiVos with service, even though I rarely transfer recordings from TiVo to TiVo or TiVo to computer. I also have a third TiVoHD without service, backup for parts and without service, it does 30 minute buffer on two tuners and I can get guide data and control the unsubscribed TiVo by using Google TV. Of course no recordings beyond the 30 minute point are possible. I think the TiVo Premiere with recent firmware and TiVo Roamio will not have the thirty minute buffer without service.

I am not aware of any quality differences in the tuners used for OTA, that includes TiVoHD, TiVo Premiere, and TiVo Roamio. I have read anecdotal tales of differences but those are all over the place. I can say the TiVoHD tuners have been the best ATSC tuners I have used. Buying a used lifetime TiVoHD or TiVo Premiere for OTA is a risk I would be willing to take. Over the years I have been using my TiVoHDs, I have received many offers from TiVo to buy a TiVo Premiere with lifetime for $450, so the price I would pay for a used one would certainly be significantly less than I would pay for a TiVo with warranty from TiVo. I would say $200 for a TiVoHD and $275 for a TiVo Premiere at this point and as time passes, of course that price goes down. Hard drive size and accessories included can cause the price I would be willing to pay to vary considerably.

The TiVo Roamio should be the best in terms of internet access so if that is important then I would say TiVo Roamio is the best DVR. I don't care about using TiVo for internet streaming, I use Google TV and Roku, and the TiVoHD is the worst of the three for the internet services. For simple OTA DVR functions, I am not aware of any advantage among the models. The TiVoHD doesn't work with the peripheral boxes offered from TiVo, like TiVo Stream and TiVo Mini, and I am not sure of how those work with the newer models since I don't care about those boxes. I am happy with the rudimentary free options I use, TiVo Desktop and TiVo transfer to another TiVo. I believe TiVo Desktop is no longer free and I don't know how much it costs.

·
Registered
772 Posts
thanks man, that's good stuff, very helpful.

Based on your input, I'll take a detailed look at that low-end TIVO Roamio and compare it with other options including WMC & channelmaster K77, costing it per-year, while also considering the good-outcome/bad-outcome approach you had mentioned ...

best regards....

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I don't have Simple, but my understanding is that multiple tuners can be accessed using the Roku/browser software. With HDHR and WMCC, tuner selection is in the background. I would guess that Simple TV 2.0 will support multiple devices in this manner. That would be better than TiVo since, for many, four tuners is not enough.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Best DVR for Over-the-Air recording?

I found this thread... Read it... Checked out the links... Did I miss an answer with a simple solution to the the above question?  I have DVR's with on-screen TV programming.  Need another.  Are they illegal to purchase now?  It seems like a simple technical solution with a high demand.  Help?  

·
Registered
303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Clapper  /t/1448951/best-dvr-for-over-the-air-recording/30#post_23770896

Best DVR for Over-the-Air recording?

I found this thread... Read it... Checked out the links... Did I miss an answer with a simple solution to the the above question?  I have DVR's with on-screen TV programming.  Need another.  Are they illegal to purchase now?  It seems like a simple technical solution with a high demand.  Help?  

Seems like your best options are either a Tivo Roamio or a HTPC, depending on your needs... Cost is about the same considering a lifetime subscription to Tivo, HTPC is more robust and flexible, Tivo is more plug and play for some folks.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Did you ever find a good OTA recording device preferrably a DVR  we just ordered the Lava HD antenna.  We are tired of the high dish bills, we figured it up and how much we could of saved over the years not having DISH.  So any advice you could give us with this would be awesome.  My email is [email protected] 

Thank you,

Jody 

41 - 60 of 109 Posts