·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BEST film directed by Elia Kazan?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've seen most, not all, of the films listed. Of these, it came down to the two Brando films, A Streetcar named Desire and On the Waterfront. Anyone who hasn't seen the young Brando is missing some absolutely amazing acting. In the end, my vote went for On the Waterfront, although it was a closer contest than it might be for most of you. Streetcar shows Brando at his most brutal self.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My personal favorite is East of Eden, and I voted for it.

It is sad that so many of Kazan's films, including East of Eden, are not available on DVD. Hopefully this will eventually be corrected.

Michael Bate

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
A Face In The Crowd holds up remarkably well today.

wouldn't mind seeing that on disc.

but my vote goes to East Of Eden. hopefully the legal issues surrounding it can be cleared up soon. i know WB would love to put this out asap.

Tree/Brooklyn should be out later this year as part of Fox Studio Classics line

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I liked The Last Tycoon quite a bit myself when it came out. It seemed like it ddn't hold up all that well when I saw it years later, but I'd like to see it again. Baby Doll and Splendor in the Grass are pretty good as well.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I like the Brando titles alot but I have an affinity for EAST OF EDEN so I voted for it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Saw "The Majestic" w Jim Carry last nite. It had a good reminder that Elia Kazan testified before the House UnAmerican Activities Committee and named names to further his own career. Good people were blacklisted and their careers ruined because of that. He was a great directer but took the low road in his career and that should be part of his legacy. Here too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.