AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what people are using for equipment racks and what are some of the best racks? I don't have much rack mounted stuff, if any, and was thinking of using mostly shelves or all shelves, or some combo... I'm familiar with Billy Bags and have all their stuff... However, they seem to have fixed shelf heights. Actually, my Bryston Torus units are rack mountable, but don't have to be... I could just put them on a shelf...

I have a horizontal rack up front, and it is long overdue to go vertical and move the equipment to the side wall and eventually someday into an equipment room... I was thinking a vertical rack, but also thought that a coll rack would be one that is double wide, that would make for more options in keeping things close together for shorter cable/wire runs?

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
For a whole room install the best server racks this year seem to be Chatsworth Products. The temperature management and smart Ip control of power IS DECADES ahead of regular home theater racks.

This unit with the curved plexi front panel is a showstopper.And it comes in Navy Blue side panels, very cool.

Like wrightline they have 96" tall racks. That I have been dying to implement for years but still can't manage the logistics of such monsters.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
That rack above looks pretty sweet. I use Middle Atlantic racks myself for my home systems and theater systems and pro-audio racks (don't recall the brand) for my outdoor and mobile systems. Generally, I will use a 42U rack for a theater, possibly more if it has a lot of gear.

A single tower rack generally is easier to wire up and work on than multiple shorter side by side racks unless you have easy access to the rear without having to slide them out.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
By the way, Middle Atlantic makes custom laser cut faceplates for any piece of gear you want. Most makes and models are already in their database, but if you have a unit they have never seen, you can send it in and they will take the measurements, make the custom face plate and send you your unit back to you. If you change gear in the future, you only need a new facing plate and can keep the rest of the shelf to reuse. You only need a new shelf if you change from a 2U unit to a 3U, etc.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The Chatsworth product line is very good, but mainly targeted at server and telecom applications. Probably the best overall quality and most flexible product line is the Emcor series from www.crenlo.com . That's what you'll find in real high-end pro installations. Personally, I've been using Middle Atlantic because they are reasonably priced and offer good build quality.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
being that I am in IT, if I were to buy a server rack, APC is the only way to go. They also make excellent PDU's. We have a 40kW PDU in our office that is no longer used since we moved all of our servers to a Colo facility.

But, for HT, I think Mid-Atlantic is the way to go. Here is a pic of my rack as an example:

I never bought the custom faceplate for the comcast cable box so that part looks rough. I'm pulling it out completely next month when the ceton cable tuner comes out and switching completely to HTPC.

I'm sure it could look cleaner, but I built it all myself, and don't claim to be a carpenter...

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
I too am forced to use Middle Atlantic for the main racks due to their widespread home oriented features and form factors. And as Art says there is no cleaner looking device mounting option than the MA Rack-shelf. In fact when I have used Wrightline Cabinets the racking inside has always being Middle Atlantic. However for a company this size they should work on the fit an finish of the main racks, their finish is cheesy compared to the Server counterparts. Also in thermal management, smart network + IP controllable power, both 3 phase and single phase, there are companies years ahead.

So while the MA rackshelf is de Rigueur for every high end install the rack cabinets themselves are far from being Status Symbols, merely commodities. They could take advantage of that market opportunity fairly quickly though. In the meantime I wil continue to look in the server arena.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/18209192

I too am forced to use Middle Atlantic for the main racks due to their widespread home oriented features and form factors. And as Art says there is no cleaner looking device mounting option than the MA Rack-shelf. In fact when I have used Wrightline Cabinets the racking inside has always being Middle Atlantic. However for a company this size they should work on the fit an finish of the main racks, their finish is cheesy compared to the Server counterparts. Also in thermal management, smart network + IP controllable power, both 3 phase and single phase, there are companies years ahead.

So while the MA rackshelf is de Rigueur for every high end install the rack cabinets themselves are far from being Status Symbols, merely commodities. They could take advantage of that market opportunity fairly quickly though. In the meantime I wil continue to look in the server arena.

I do agree to the point that MidAtlantic needs to have a better layout for exhaust and a flowport that can suck the heat out of the room. Server racks are nice because the PDU's run power up the side of the rack and mitigate long power run requirements. rats nests of cables and mixing with audio cables. now a days though, everything is going blade and that won't really make much of a difference.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
What all of the above are is a closet for your gear. They offer zero treatment for vibration reduction or elimination.

From a isolation stand point I use all of these........

http://www.stillpoints.us/Stillpoints/products.html

I understand it is an entirely different look and approach but IMO to spend more than a few thousand dollars on gear and not treat it for isolation is a big mistake.

Just adding another point of view to the discussion.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Fleener /forum/post/18211869

What all of the above are is a closet for your gear. They offer zero treatment for vibration reduction or elimination.

From a isolation stand point I use all of these........

http://www.stillpoints.us/Stillpoints/products.html

I understand it is an entirely different look and approach but IMO to spend more than a few thousand dollars on gear and not treat it for isolation is a big mistake.

Just adding another point of view to the discussion.

I can't hear a discernable difference, and doubt that anyone really could between putting an amp on the floor and putting it on one of those stillpoint amp stands (of course I guess on the floor an amp might be more prone to static energy, but then again static energy is not limited by contact or the floor anyways). I know they are popular, but I think it is like buying insurance for a brick. insuring it isn't going to make a difference, but it gives you piece of mind if you drop it and it breaks into multiple pieces that someone will give you a new brick. some people are willing to pay for it, and others arent.

I guess we could debate items that have moving parts (spinning disks). But then again, I think your buying insurance, and not something tangible.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
The only thing I have ever isolated was the HT5000 in my last house. There was vibration from the subs that would cause some minor image blurring at high spl. I mounted a 4" granite slab on a plinth then used 4 elastomeric anti vibe mounts. Problem solved

If anyone needs isolation or damping I would absolutely recommend looking towards the aviation industry. Unlike consumer Hi-Fi stuff, they are tested to destruction, adhere to known standards and all have comprehensive data sheets detailing the performance exactly. You can specify your exact load and any problem resonant frequencies etc. The real deal.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
True you get more isolation from vibration in other racking systems, but those often do not allow for thermal engineering for your products. A well designed rack will dissipate heat properly and prolong the life of your gear, although we in this crowd rarely use them up and upgrade out of functioning units anyway...

·
Registered
533 Posts
For vibration isolation, I've still yet to see anything that compares to Cardas Single Double V Notched Myrtlewood Blocks
Quote:
The Cardas Notched Myrtlewood Blocks are made from America's most beautiful hardwood, the legendary Myrtle tree. Rarest of all woods, the symmetrical, broadleaf, evergreen Myrtle grows only in Southwestern Oregon. Myrtlewood has a very complex grain structure. The coloring of the wood is unique, varying from a sedate, satiny gray to riotously, multicolored grains of red, yellow, and brown, with many burls and shapes in its grain. Denser than Oak, unseasoned Myrtle logs will not float.

Combined with SHAKTI's ground zero technology you just can't go wrong.

·
Registered
533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Nut /forum/post/18201405

I have a horizontal rack up front, and it is long overdue to go vertical and move the equipment to the side wall and eventually someday into an equipment room... I was thinking a vertical rack, but also thought that a coll rack would be one that is double wide, that would make for more options in keeping things close together for shorter cable/wire runs?

I'm not sure why you'd care about the length of wire in a single rack, that's insignificantly short. If you want something that meets your needs both now and later, I'd go with a Middle Atlantic MRK series or WRK series rack. Both are totally freestanding welded racks which can also accommodate caster bases. They can also be ganged if you ever need more than one. And they work great whether in the room, in a dedicated equipment room, or built into a wall. And I mentioned the caster base simply because it can make it very easy to move them around if you want to get to the back of a component. The MRK is 22" wide, the WRK 24" wide for larger cable bundles.

I would not go with a slim rack because they are mainly useful for building into walls. Even then I don't like them because they have no provisions for cable management. They are also assembled and nowhere as strong as a MRK or WRK rack.

http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/main.htm

·
Registered
24,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter /forum/post/18213584

True you get more isolation from vibration in other racking systems, but those often do not allow for thermal engineering for your products. A well designed rack will dissipate heat properly and prolong the life of your gear, although we in this crowd rarely use them up and upgrade out of functioning units anyway...

Yea, kinda like a couch fabric guaranteed for ten years. When you turn over a tech every two years might as well cook it while you're at it.

Art

·
Banned
17,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Haddad /forum/post/18214043

The MRK is 22" wide, the WRK 24" wide for larger cable bundles.

http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/main.htm

I hate to admit it but system SKoll for all it's fancy tech and haute decor is a twin MRK on casters contraption.

The problem with having racks on casters sliding out is that items can get loosened or pinched. It is an installers logistical nightmare. None the less when there is no other option and a mer 27" by 45" of footprint available in a closet, that is what it will have to be.

To work on this wiring problem, we plan on recreating the rack closet out of plexiglass, and carefully assemble (with visual transparency) the racks and the wiring so that they slide in and out without affecting any connections.

Not something I look forward to given the variety of power, single phase 220, and tri-phase 30 a per leg, plus long digital interconnects, a maze on a 16x 16 matrix of hdmi's 1.3 and 1.4's.

It's going to be a pain in the neck.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts

Quote:
I would absolutely recommend looking towards the aviation industry. Unlike consumer Hi-Fi stuff, they are tested to destruction,

Yeah. But I so hate flying those things into the sides of mountains to see how they break.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Aviation is well tested and reliable but not as innovative. Lots of tombstone technology there...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts