AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My experiance with PC DVD drives is that it only takes a couple of thumb prints on a DVD to cause playback problems. If you then try the same DVD on a regular standalone player the same bit plays fine. Do any PC DVD drives have good error handling in them? So far I have tried the Hitachi GD7500 and the Pioneer 106s.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Pioneer is reportedly the best (just like their standalone players). I have a Toshiba though and have no problems.

Robert

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have the Toshiba SD-M1612 (from Digital Connections) and have been thrilled. Never had an error during playback and it works great with EAC. It's super quiet when playing DVDs. Much better than the older Toshiba model I had.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi JeffY:

___As you can tell, the latest drives do read though problem areas better than the older ones but “A good defense is a good offense†as they say here in the States. Look over the rental disc before playback and if it looks like a 7 year old used it to spread peanut butter on a sandwich, you had better clean it ;) In my household, the first thing I taught the kids was how to handle all disc’s. The youngest has been doing great in this regard from maybe 4 years old through today … In any case, I have had maybe 5 DVD playback failures in as many years and 4 could be directly contributed to dirty discs. Clean them if you suspect a problem of course but the latest Pioneer 106S in my own HTPC, my youngest son’s Toshiba SD-M1612, oldest sons Toshiba SD-M1402, and daughters Toshiba SD-M1202 have worked very reliably according to them.

___As an afterthought, a firmware update to the latest available can help in a lot of cases. Just read the text file for improvements. A particular disc or group of disc’s are sometimes listed as a previous problem that was fixed with the later firmware. That was mostly the old days vs. today’s much improved drives out of the box.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.