AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the Best (within some reasonable arameter) External USB 2.0/Firewire Enclosure for a WD ATA-133/250GB HDD?

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
263 Posts
BS, USB 2 is as fast if not faster than firewire. You must work for Apple.

Plus the drive is much more useful with USB 2 than firewire since almost every computer out there has USB and only high end units have firewire.

If you want to take some music or a movie to work USB 2 is going to be better than firewire.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alric

You don't think a fan is required for an HDD in an enclosure?

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GarthVH

Which external enclosure do you favor for >200GB HDD dual USB 2.0/FireWire operation under XP?

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Murray,

None of my drives use fans. I have both taken the fan out and used quietpc mufflers, and used fanless aluminum enclosures. Heat dissipation has not been a problem with either solution.

Regarding the USB 2.0 Vs. Firewire issue; do the testing. Reviewers (besides Cnet) and myself get the following:

USB 2.0 8-10 MB/s

Firewire 13-15 MB/s

Firewire with Oxford911 chip 30-33MB/s

Firewire RAID 45-50 MB/s

Firewire 800 (in a sweet 17" ALbook) 45-55 MB/s

As you can see USB 2.0 is pitiful for external firedrive file transfers but is more than enough for most CDRW applications.

Another advantage of FW is that it can be bus powered a la iPod. Just plug and use (or charge).

GarthVH: See if you can find a review of an external USB 2.0 drive with a transfer speed higher than 13MB/s.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alric

Are you using the enclosure your referenced with Mac or WinXP?

I need to be sure it can be seen as a >200GB HDD usiing the Oxford911 chip by WinXP.

It's expensive as well.

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I have four Oxford 911 based firewire enclosures. They all work great with my Linux, MacOS X, and Win2K boxes.

USB 2.0 is a no-go in Linux right now. (I don't know of any Mac's that support USB 2.0, but I haven't really researched that.)

I just daisy chain the hard drives off my Linux server, and access the huge file store for HD captures via Samba file sharing.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tji

Which brand of Oxford 911 based firewire enclosures do you have?

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
499 Posts
Oxford 911 won't recognise >128G drives I believe. You need something using the Oxford 922.

And yes, USB 2 for external hard drives results in crappy performance.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I have seen several product listings for 911 based enclosures that claimed > 128GB support, check out the link I supplied above for one example. My hard drives are 120GB (Seagate Barracuda V) so, I have no first hand experience.

Also, the ME-320 5.25" enclosure has a VERY loud fan. I disconnected the cable to the fan, with no adverse effects (yet).

The ME-370, 3.5" enclosure has a smaller/quieter fan. I left that one running, since the Barracudas run pretty hot, and the enclosure is small.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I was also looking for dual USB and 1394 enclosures. I wanted them small to transport the hard drive easily (record on one PC and take elsewhere to watch or for backups). In my experience, 1394 places less load on the receiving system's processor. Having both USB2 and 1394 is ideal.

I eventually bought this small Coolmax aluminium case, and so far it's worked fine and is very convenient.

See it at http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1

(Scroll down and check the last one for $68.99).

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
mkerdman:

Regarding >128GB support the easiest way to know for sure is contacting the reseller or manufacturer.

Quote:
Are you using the enclosure your referenced with Mac or WinXP?
With both; transparently.

I haven't sort this out yet but cheaper Oxford911 enclosures will give me stutters in DVD and HD playback while more expensive ones give me no trouble. Like I said, I have not been able to pinpoint what the difference is.

FYI: This one stutters:

http://www.pcmicrostore.com/part-detail.asp?id=408312

Cheers,

·
Registered
501 Posts
A little off topic, but can I do this same thing with a spare CD R/W drive? Would a different enclosure be required?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alric

Which one does not stutter on HD playabck?

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
mkerdman,

Just to let you know. Wiebetech just announced the addition of USB 2.0 to their Desktop GB+. Tha't the fanless one.

Cheers,

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.